• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory Ammo vs Reloading

andrews1958

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Maine/Africa
With all the varities of different ammo today is it still worth reloading. I have been using a number of different types from Federal and I could not ask for better groups. 1/4" to 1/2" 3 shot groups consistantly at 100 yards with all of my customs in 25 cal and under.Maybe its just luck on my behalf or I have some great shooting rifles. Anyone else having the same luck?

Re: Factory Ammo vs Reloading

I thought the same until i started reloading for my 308s. I am getting better group that than Federal Gold 175s and HSM 175 match ammo. They really dont show them selves until you stretch it out. I dont bother testing for accuracy at 100 yards. If you are never going to shoot more than a 100yards then it doesnt matter. But i started to see the difference once i started shooting 300, 500 and 600 yards.

Being able to seat the bullet longer made the biggest difference for me.

I only have two rifles as experience but my 700P in 308 will shoot about .75 moa avg group with Federal gold match 168 BTHP with reloaded ammo it is consistently at or below 0.5 moa.
I tried to put match ammo, Black hills, and another that slips my mind at the moment through my custom 260 and it was all crap. I went through probably 60 rounds and didnt even calculate because it was so bad. During the development stages of reloading I shot several groups at 0.2 and consistently averaged 0.3 MOA.
For me there is not question that (especially at long range) there is no way match ammo can compete. At 600 and beyond just forget about it.

It is definatly WORTH reloading, I couldnt afford to shoot all my gear if I had to buy factory, that applies to my ipsc pistols right up to my fclass and classic rifles.

Don't doubt on the accuracy department. However, it's the wallet that forces me to reload.

When handloading I throw then trickle powder till each charge weights exactly the same, prep each brass exactly the same. its this finite attention to detail and precision that makes big difference. even so called match factory ammo is still mass produced. No factory load I've ever shot could touch handloads. Its time consuming but more accurate

Depends on the rifle. My shooting partner handloads .25 moa loads for his TRG, but we haven't found a handload yet that will match the performance of Gold Medal in my AW.

been having pretty good luck with 118LR as long as it's put on a concentricity gauge and the rounds are straightened. straight out of the box though it's a crapshoot as to what you'll get.

Bottom line is get handloading. Not only will you save a bucketload of cash you will also find a sweet load for the rifle or pistol you are using.

If you have time to spare, but not money, handloading is worth it.
If you have money to spare, but not time, then shoot factory ammo.

Hand loaded ammo has always been more accurate than any factory ammo... but I would think the factories know this and have been getting better as the price of technology has gone down. Computer controlled processes will become more precise and less expensive and factory ammo will catch up. Not quite yet for the most part. But soon.

It has to go that way because consider the professionals who are paid to be accurate and who's lives depend on accurate ammo. They don't reload a perfect formula for their rifle. They get handed a box of ammo and it damn well better be capable of 1/2 minute accuracy.

If I had to do all my target shooting with factory ammo, I couldn't afford to shoot.

Likewise, if I had to develop handloads for hunting, I'd be doing probably ten times as much shooting during developement as I'd do for real. So for hunting, I use factory ammo. It works fine for me, and the economics are more reasonable.

Greg

For me factory ammo is more accurate/consistant one hole groups at 200 yards. When I just wanna go out and shoot, I reload obviously because it's cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all the varities of different ammo today is it still worth reloading.</div></div>

It's all about economy.

I don't reload to shoot bugholes. I reload to shoot more for the same amount of money.

The day that factory ammo becomes as cheap as my reloads I will stop reloading.

Go out and price the components and figure it out yourself.....now that everything has gone up in price it is even profitable to reload pistol ammo where before I could not justify doing it for pistol because if i bought in bulk I could get pretty close.

Shar

I look at reloading as a separate, but nicely related hobby to the shooting I do.

There are reasons to NOT reload -

If you do not have time or the inclination to start a new, time-consuming new hobby, if you do not have a reasonable amount of manual dexterity with hand tools or if you do not do enough shooting to make the cost savings add up to pay for the required equipment in a reasonable amount of time.

If you have not already built up a supply of empty brass from your factory loads, you are already starting behind the curve.
The major savings realized in reloading, is just that - RE-Loading the brass you have already paid for.

You will not save any money - but you will get a lot more quality ammo for your dollar, though.

The benefits of reloading -

Your empty brass cases are already fire-formed to your chamber, which is an essential starting point to tailoring a load to your rifle.

The ability to match a load to the specifics or <span style="text-decoration: underline">your</span> rifle, not just any rifle.

A nearly infinite assortment of powders, primers and bullets to choose from, allow mission specific ammo to be assembled at will.

Custom rifles will only perform as well as the ammo they are fed, so all my firearms custom or not get custom ammo built by me just for them.

The multiple other posts above are a testament to the potential for improvement in accuracy.

If you are satisfied with the performance you are now getting, you may not consider reloading worth it.

Paul

Another thing is I enjoy reloading. It is pretty satisfying to start off with a benchful of components and then work them up into a load that will shoot 1 hole groups or wins you competitions. I dont enjoy the pistol stuff so much, when I know I have to load 600rds of .40 for some practice and a match it can be a bit of a chore but the rifle loading can be broken down into stages like prep brass 1 day, do the powder another day etc.
I believe every shooter should load, it gives the shooter a higher understanding of their weapons and what makes them tick.

I put off reloading for a long time, but now that I reload I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Cost is cheaper, but with high-quality components can almost be a "wash". The real difference is accuracy especially at distance, no comparison.

Also depends on what caliber you shoot and how often. For me, it is not worth it to reload 223rem or 9mm pistol because bulk ammo is relatively cheap for the time it takes me to reload, plus I don’t shoot at extended distances with those calibers. But I do keep all my brass just in case. However, for 308win and especially magnum calibers, it is definitive worth it…as it saves money and can improve your accuracy significantly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jebus!! after listening to all the ammo prices, with my shooting habit, I don't think I'll ever be able to retire! </div></div>No joke.

One thing to remember about reloading

You wont save money, you'll just shoot more
wink.gif

If .308 FGMM 175 was $15 a box I would still handload. Cause my loads are still better for my rifle. The day that FGMM 175 is more accurate is when I'll stop reloading... at least for that rifle. To me it's about accuracy mainly. Consequently I have the opportunity to enjoy a craft which gives me a since of accomplishment... Just as others have noted above. Something to be said about making your own and it being better than the stuff in the store.

I've found out I can shoot same quality bullets and cases for less money and tailored to my gun. What can't you beat with reloading other than time consuming.

My loads are costing me roughly 45-50 cents per round; FGMM is about 80-90 cents at its absolute cheapest. Being able to shoot twice as much for the same amount of money is what drives it for me. Accuracy is about a wash as nearly as I can tell; if I spent more money on equipment I'd probably group even better with the handloads, but for now the limiting factor is behind the stock.

Reloading is by far more superior to factory ammo. Every gun is different and you can fine tune your load to your rifle.

you can spend about $.75 a round for the same equivalent $1 or $2 a round factory ammo.

Only thing is to see some saved money your going to have to load a ton and drop about $500 to $800 on a decent reloading set up. dont go cheap when reloading.. Go RCBS or Redding something solid and trustable. Im not a big fan of Lee.. My cousin bought a lee press and my RCBS is way better he actually uses my press for his accuracy loads.

But dont get into reloading if you wont enjoy it.. It has to be a second hobby because it will take time and money lots of time! I love to reload I feel like a scientiest in my garage trying to fine tune that perfect load and make my own product. When I dont shoot Im reloading.. When Im not reloading Im watching shows or web casts on hot to reload or shoot. Half the time Im reloading stuff for my friends because I have already loaded up too many round and have to wait till I go shooting again.