• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory Barrels.

JasonYuke

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2005
Ontario Canada
Most of my rifles have custom Barrels on them, however I have just picked up a factory 700P that I thought I would try out as is.

If all factory barrels shot like this one, I would question myself on replacing the tubes..

Anyone recently have outstanding success with factory barrels, that made you thing twice about replacing them..

Just a question because this is the second 700 this one a 1:12 the other was a 5R 1:11.25 that shot ragged holes..

Re: Factory Barrels.

I have a Rem 700PSS 223 with 1/9 twist. It will shoot 1/2 MOA vertical spread at 500 yards with Nosler 80s. I cut the barrel to 22" and recrowned and also did Tubb final finish.

My Rem 700 300 WM put 3 shots touching at 200 yards.

I have the same barrel on my .308 SPS-V action. It shoots extremely well. Well enough that I don't see any reason to replace it until it starts to go south. I believe that most of the rebarrel jobs are shooters looking for a hardware solution to a software problem. Remember the majority of Remington 700s in use by LE have factory barrels. While that doesn't mean they are on par with custom barrels, they are far from tomato stakes.

yes but also remember the average shot in le with a bolt gun is 60 yards. you can have a 2moa shoot well enough for le.

i had a stock rem 700 varmint in 243 that would shoot in the .2's at 100 yards and at 500 yards i shot a 3" group with it. I was pretty impressed! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rebarrel jobs are shooters looking for a hardware solution to a software problem.</div></div>

LOL I like that one, one to remember

I find many of the factory Barrels today shoot as well as some customs, this new police is scary accurate, and I am not sure I want to shoot one of my Shilens or keigers against it!! Yikes..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes but also remember the average shot in le with a bolt gun is 60 yards. you can have a 2moa shoot well enough for le. </div></div>

you may be able to get away with an "operational" shot with a 2 MOA gun, but I don't know of any LE Sniper qualifications you will be passing with that loose a weapon. 1 MOA is the industry standard for Police Sniper rifles. Anything less than that and your agency better keep some blank checks around.

The old days of "Billy's deer rifle" on the SWAT team are long gone.

Guess that's why I rarely clean
mine.
wink.gif

I used to go through all the trouble as well cleaning, than realized for no good reason,, accuracy does not fall off as quick as one woudl beleive

My older 24" PSS puts 168 FGMM in what is essentially the same hole at 100 yards and can usually shoot clothes pins at that range.

I have a Remington 700 VS in 308 that is under a half moa gun if I do my part. Also recently aquired a Savage 12 FV in 22-250 that will put them in one hole. both have factory tubes. Won't even think about changing them until accuracy starts dropping off.

The barrel on my 700V shoots sub-moa when I'm doing my part. I've always said I will keep this barrel until I shoot it out or until I can outshoot it.

Some factory barrels shoot great, others not too well at all. For 90% of the shooting public, factory barrels are good enough. I shoot a lot of vintage military rifles and some of them will still shoot sub 1 MOA after 5-6000 rounds.

My recommendation is to put a custom barrel on a good action only after the barrel no longer meets one's standards for the rifle whether that be 0.1 or 3.0 MOA.

I have a 700p barrel that I had a local smith cut, recrown, and thread and it's a freaking tack driver. Matter of fact, I wouldn't replace it with a custom barrel even if someone offered to give me one and change it for me FOR FREE (unless they GUARANTEED same or better accuracy).

I held 6 shots at 400yds for 1.551". Got lucky with the wind being dead.. Until I fired my 7th shot and opened it up to 4.442".

1003415.jpg

I've also hit a miniature IDPA steel target at 1350yds (longest hit ever) with that same barrel. It took all the MOA elevation my NF NXS turrets had to offer plus a 6moa hold over but it hit! Other 2 hits were from 2 other people running .300WM.

longrangeshooting717090.jpg

-X