• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Factory bedding on '70s Remington 700 ADL?

Goodwood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
Utah, USA
I found a 1971 Remington ADL .308 at the local gun shop today and I bought it. I took the action out of the stock as I was investigating the extent of some surface rust. When it came out I was pleased to find the rust was minimal, and I found that the lug has been bedded to the factory walnut stock. The bedding is really clean, and tight, and it is minimal, confined to only the lug relief in the stock. There is no bedding of the actual action or barrel channel.

My experience with older Remington rifles is limited. The oldest Remington 700 I've owned was a mid-eighties BDL in .243. From what I remember, that rifle had no bedding.

The question is, did Remington bed the older 700's at the factory? Or do I have a well done, yet minimalistic gunsmith-done bedding in this rifle?

That is what I was thinking, but it seems that everything I've seen that was bedded by a gunsmith in the seventies was "over bedded" as in THE WHOLE THING from the front of the barrel inlet to the rear mounting screw. It is a simple bed done really well in this stock, which is what led me to believe it may have been factory.
Thanks for your info!

Last edited: