• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory match ammo and high end .308 AR's?

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
Got a buddy who thinks he wants a Gap 10 or a JP. I have no experience with .308 ARs, so I don't know how to advise him.

He doesn't reload yet, though I'll be teaching him sooner or later. He will need to start out with factory ammo. He will be shooting our local precision matches with it.

He will likely run a TBAC 30P-1 on it.

Is there factory match ammo that will run in these things or does he really need to start with hand loads immediately?

Sorry for the probably stupid questions.

No...he won't have to reload immediately. As with all rifles, handloading specifically for the rifle in question will yield the best/optimum results in terms of accuracy/function/etc., but quality factory match ammo (FGMM, BH, Corbon, Hornady, etc.) will function 100% and offer excellent accuracy from either of those rifles.

The Copper Creek 175 SMK gas gun load has been reliable and accurate in my GAP. I have been able to shoot sub .5 MOA groups with it and i am sure that I am the limiting factor.

There's Plenty of great Factory Match Ammo Options out there for the .308. Federal Gold Medal Match is probably the most popular out there both 168 and 175 run great in my Semi Auto Gas Rigs. If he doesn't want to get in to Reloading yet he can always order in bulk from good ammo shops like Copper Creek or SouthWest Ammos. They almost always have .308 Match ammo in stock at a good price, I believe if you buy from Southwest and keep the Brass they use they'll reload it for you for less than a $1 per round.

If you don't reload and still want's to shoot good ammo .308 is probably the best way to go.

I run factory mk316 mod o, fgmm 168, fgmm 175, m118lr as well as 150 fmj ball from federal and occasionally, 7.62x51 SOST.

I have no issues with 2 Lmt 308's, kac ecc LWRC repr and yes, a gap 10 in 308. I did however suspend a few boxes of my main use ammo to GAP and they made sure said ammo was good to go in my gap10.

My repr is a little over Moa as well as my shorty Lmt 308 but the others are all sub Moa with quality match ammo.

Jp and Gap are definitely the top 2 for consistent accuracy..... My preference is JP mainly due to them being slightly lighter and their lmos using an adjustable gas block makes for a real soft shooting 308....their customer service is top notch with very short wait times for building basically a custom rifle compared to most other companies.