• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory out of the box Rifles 3k or less?

Brandon7766

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
This will be my first bolt gun, I have decided to buy once, cry once on the scope and get a SB 3-20 when they come out next month. I would like to buy an out of the box Rifle such as an AI AE or a TRG, Ive also looked at some GAP Rifles although they are a bit out of my price range and there is a long wait time for them. What other makes/models or direction can you all point me in? This will be used for Shooting out to 1K and doing tactical competitions. I would like to spend 3k or less although im starting to think that to get what I want I need to save up another 1k.

Re: Factory out of the box Rifles 3k or less?

An AI or TRG would be the first two answers.

They are both built from the ground up as sniper weapon systems and as such would perform very well for tact comps.

That being said, the US military has been running M700's for 40 years now, they seem to be providing very good service.

For 3k you could get a very fine semi-custom built off a rem 700 or a custom action that fits the 700 footprint (stiller tac 30 etc...)

I have seen some very fine shooting 700's that have had nothing done but the action trued, lugs lapped and quality barrel installed.
There are other, more in depth methods of working over a 700 action that tend to result in even finer accuracy (trueing the bolt face/lugs, thread work etc...).

Remington ADL : 370
true action and lap lugs, install barrel : 250
quality barrel : 300 - 400 depending
Timney or shilen trigger : 125

Quality stock or chassis with DBM: 900 ish

Total around 2000 give or take

A very capable rifle will be the result, it will be more accurate than most field conditions will permit.

A shilen custom rifle built on a stiller tac-30 will set you back about 3300.

A TC Icon Warlord (a very badass looking rifle) about the same.

TRG or AE AI, about 3300 give or take.

There are several fine smiths that populate the hide. A well made rifle on a custom action is going to set you back at least as much as the TRG/AE choices, but you will have YOUR rifle.

Texas brigade Armory will sell you a very fine replica of the M40 series rifles for about 2900

You can usually find a nice GAP in the used section with low rounds for around 3K. I have a Crusader and It's 1/4 minute all day if I do my part.

There's quite a few pre-solds on the SB 3-20. I'd be surprised if you could get your hands on one by late 2012 ???

If you want lighter weight pick the TRG. SAKO's bipods,mags,etc are pricey though.

If you were able to fondle the TRG, AE and some custom tactical rifles it would help in your decision making.

You can also get an HS precision HTR for around 3k, or less.

If you are planning on spending up to 3K on a factory rifle, why don't you do a full custom for about $2600 and have it in about two weeks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKS Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can usually find a nice GAP in the used section with low rounds for around 3K. I have a Crusader and It's 1/4 minute all day if I do my part. </div></div>

^ This. You can get a hell of a gun used for 3k in the for sale forum. I'd take a long time reading all the posts and figuring out exactly what you're looking for:

1. Caliber (I'd do 308 unless you reload, and then maybe a 260 or 243)
2. Barrel length and twist
3. What stock (AICS, Manners, McMillan)
4. Which scope

Knowing the answers to these questions will make it most likely you'll be happy with whatever you buy. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are planning on spending up to 3K on a factory rifle, why don't you do a full custom for about $2600 and have it in about two weeks? </div></div>

That's a quick turn time and a good price, care to point me in that direction?

I plant reload but this will be my first rifle so definitely a 308. If I end up liking actual competitions then I'll get a 260 down the road.

22 a 26 inches, 20 just seems a bit short and I don't use a suppressor as I'm from Cali.

I'm partial to an A5 manners or McMillan style but the AI AX also seems nice

For scope, no worries here...3-15 or 4-20 by a top manufacturer.