• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Factory pointed bullets

Red_Beard

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Denver, Colorado
I have been reading quite a bit about Bryan Litz and the concept of "pointing" bullets. I guess I am just curious if anyone makes pointed bullets straight from the factory? If there aren't any currently doing it, why? If pointing really does provide some benefit, why wouldn't Berger, Sierra, JLK or Lapua provide it as a factory option?

David Tubb's 115gr DTAC's are pointed (basically 6mm 115gr SMK's). Pointing will raise the BC by a few points. I'm assuming most companies don't bother with pointing because the extra step isn't worth it since most of their customers couldn't care less if their bullets were pointed.

There is a market for them, essentially folks who can shoot well enough to see the difference. Alas; I am not among them.

Sierra's been offering the 155 Palma "tipped" for 5 years, it never ceases to amaze me how some people believe a lighter bullet with a better shape can't have a higher BC than one that is heavier, with a less conducive shape! Some of these guys shoot a lot, but still hold on their wrong ideas-what is worse they'll argue about it!!

RB,

I have a couple of boxes of 300gr. .338 Lapuas which are pointed.

HTH,
DocB

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have been curious about this for a while. I didn't mean to ditch the thread, but I have had a busy few days.

I do not do this currently but have checked into this because of Brian Litz's book. The way I understand the benefit, is to trim the meplat back to make all the bullets the same overall length. Then they go through a bullet pointer(Whidden I assume) to make them very pointed improving aerodynamics and increasing BC slightly. I would think this would only matter for 1000 yard plus shooters or anal retentive former alcoholics.

Dave

I do not do this currently but have checked into this because of Brian Litz's book. The way I understand the benefit, is to trim the meplat back to make all the bullets the same overall length. Then they go through a bullet pointer(Whidden I assume) to make them very pointed improving aerodynamics and increasing BC slightly. I would think this would only matter for 1000 yard plus shooters or anal retentive former alcoholics.

Dave

Hey, I resemble that remark Jack!