• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Factory Rifles

xjjeeperx

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
Johnson City. TN
I have a new factory Marlin XS7 in .308, I bought it as a low cost deer gun for my son.(First year Hunter!) I plan to upgrade to a savage barrel to improve overall accuracy. I was watching an older AGI video where they cover various other things you can do to squeeze all the performance you can out of a factory rifle, 2 of which were free floating the barrel and bedding the rifle. Unfortunately, they didn't spend much time covering these topics. Anyone know where I can find more info on how to do this, and opinions on taking the time to do so to a lower cost rifle.

Also I haven't seen any options as far as upgrading the factory stock so any input on what might fit would be helpful as well. In my opinion the factory stock is way to light. I'm not looking to turn a $300 rifle into a competition rig, I'd just like to squeeze all I can out of it. Thanks!

Re: Factory Rifles

Try this video, there are 9 videos. They aren't the greatest, but not to bad. One of the good gunsmiths needs to do a youtube video for this
smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdUhYz0q30o

You won't make a "competition rig" by just bedding the action, but it will help.

Tyler

AGI has a great video on pillar bedding with Darrell Holland as the instructor. I promise you will not go wrong. Try renting it from smart flix if you do not want to buy it. He does not show how to bed a Marlin. He uses a Remington 700, but the procedure can be done on other rifles as well. His way does make use of a milling machine. Good luck.

Just do not bed the rear tang. It needs to free float. Get a good aftermarket barrel. It will help you the most. Bed it well and enjoy. JMHO

STR,
Do you happen to know the title of the AGI video? I have alot of of their videos, In my opinion those videos are worth every penny. I just picked up 2 new ones, One is "Building a tactical rifle" the other is "Secrets of Long range shooting". I believe the instructor may go into a little more detail on bedding later in this one but I haven't watched it all yet. Thanks

The two AGI videos on building a Garand are so bad they are a joke.

But the AGI video on Winchester 1897 shotguns is outstanding.

And you know what Forest Gump says, "AGI is like a box of chocolates, and you never know what you are going to get."