• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Factory Sporter Barrel on 7mm mag - WTH?

ahhshoot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2013
I have some nice high end rifles - and they all shoot really well.

I also have a Remmy 700 7mm mag ADL that I paid $400 for. I bedded the entire barrel and action. At first I couldn't get it to shoot worth a damn. Then I worked up some handloads and WOW. Real bugholes at 100. 5 shot groups. No joke.

I treat this thing like a redheaded stepchild. It has been used as a lever, a hammer, a walking stick, etc (jk, you get the idea).

Load:
Sierra Gameking 140 HP
65.9 gr H1000
Hornady brass
Fed GM215M primers

How many rounds will I get out of this factory tube? I was going to send this thing to be rebarreled with something fancy, and have the action trued, but I don't really see any use at this point. Have any fellow Hiders had similar results with factory barrels and how long can I run this thing before accuracy starts to fade?

I'd say yes I've had similar results with my rem 700 BDL 7mm RM.

This is a 5-shot group at 100yds with my 7mm RM. I love this gun.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399059011.506831.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is awesome. Im glad to see this kind of accuracy without spending a fortune or a 20 lb rifle.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Yep. Just my factory hunting rifle. I've had it since 2004. I've killed avg 3 deer a year with it.

I'd say yes I've had similar results with my rem 700 BDL 7mm RM.

This is a 5-shot group at 100yds with my 7mm RM. I love this gun.

View attachment 37008

Do you mind sharing your load recipe? Have you had better luck on the hot side or on the mild side? Do you have the 26" sporter barrel? thanks

Factory Sporter Barrel on 7mm mag - WTH?

Don't mind at all.

It's actually a middle of the road, light shooting deadly accurate deer killing load.

Hornady 139gr BTSP
Win cases
IMR 4350 57gr
CCI 250
OAL 3.300
Avg MV 2850fps

Yes 26" barrel.

Last edited:
That velocity seems to be a sweet spot for these rifles with that bullet weight. I am not sure what the twist rate is (I heard 1:9) but I'm considering getting some 175gr pills and slinging some past 1k yards with this thing. Probably look crazy with that pencil barrel but the target won't know the difference. I believe my velocity to be around 2850-2900 based on the tables I've used but I don't have a chrono just yet. H1000 is a slower burning powder but this gun just eats it up so I'm not changing. Anyway, glad to hear Remington is making guns capable of this out of the box, good chatting with you mate.

I believe it's 1:9.25. I've shot 175gr out of mine before I started reloading they shoot great as well. I actually have a secondary load using same powder just on the upper end but doesn't give as good of accuracy. It's still great but not single hole great. I figure if I need to reach out further I can load for it. Crazy thing is this was with a hunting bullet.

Great chatting. Shoot straight.