• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Fairbanks?

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
Howdy fellas, it's looking like I might be getting a transfer up to the interior. I know I've seen Fairbanks people on here over the years, and I wanted to sound out the waters to see what is available up there for shooting sports. Is there a distance range? How about three-gun and/or tactical shoots? I haven't been able to do much down here in Haines (other than shooting on the job and on my own of course) and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) getting back into some real shooting.

If nothing else I'm all about meeting up for shoots (once I get settled in) if people are up for that :)

For distance there are two rifle ranges around town. One is out to 330 yards and the other is only 100 yards long. I am sure there are other spots where you could get out much further, but I don't know about them yet.

Pistol shooting seems to be the big local shooting sport. There are two major groups, the Fairbanks Actions Shooters and Pro Tec. They both do some USPSA matches and dabble in multi-gun occasionally during the summer, but FAS is also active in the winter with indoor .22 events. The scene does seem to be growing though.

I wish I knew more, but school occupies most of my time and money these days.

Tok Shooters Assn out to 600 with plans to 1K. I will put the word out when we have some shoots, this upcoming season.

You know you want to come to Tok and shoot that GAP. Did you know on Saturday's the lunch special at Fast Eddies is Prime Rib sammich!

Will do, there was a meeting on Jan 21st. of course I had to work. The schedule should be coming out soon. We have steel for both rifle and pistol, also have trap.

Howdy fellas, it's looking like I might be getting a transfer up to the interior. I know I've seen Fairbanks people on here over the years, and I wanted to sound out the waters to see what is available up there for shooting sports. Is there a distance range? How about three-gun and/or tactical shoots? I haven't been able to do much down here in Haines (other than shooting on the job and on my own of course) and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) getting back into some real shooting.

If nothing else I'm all about meeting up for shoots (once I get settled in) if people are up for that :)

Not sure why shooting on your own course is not real shooting. We rarely ever shoot at an organized square range with restricting rules....Alaskan is freedom, loners, anti establishment. If you cannot find somewhere to shoot in Alaska, cant give much help. Our back stop is 45 miles out. Most of the shooters I know do not hang out and shoot in groups, Alaskan or loners.

There are rifle shoots June 28, July 29 Aug 16 up near Squarebanks, Fort Greely. Good guys mostly.

IDPA indoors more prevalent than outdoors IPSIC, too many egos!

SASS is around too, really good guys!

Thank you for all the info, as I will be moving up there in april. Looking forward to getting to shoot in more open areas.

Not sure why shooting on your own course is not real shooting.

Lol, shooting on my own is real shooting, but things are pretty limited in Haines. 200yard range max, and you can't shoot anywhere other than the range unless you want to hoof it out the highway.

Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry I haven't been on in a while so I didn't see your replies. I'll look into the pistol groups and see what happens when the wife and I get up there (in early May)

(And don't you worry Rope. You and I will sure as hell get together and do some shooting. I want to try out BOTH of those GAPS, you lucky SOB...)

Lol, shooting on my own is real shooting, but things are pretty limited in Haines. 200yard range max, and you can't shoot anywhere other than the range unless you want to hoof it out the highway.

Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry I haven't been on in a while so I didn't see your replies. I'll look into the pistol groups and see what happens when the wife and I get up there (in early May)

(And don't you worry Rope. You and I will sure as hell get together and do some shooting. I want to try out BOTH of those GAPS, you lucky SOB...)

You should be there in time for the rifle matches. The north star does not have as many matches as south central and the penn where there is almost one every weekend in the summer.

Greely has grand and not sure of you and your creds but with my military retiree card I can use the range if its not in use. Have to have the training and sign some DD form and act as RO but it can be done if you like rules.

Our local and feds use Birchwood, no rules other than down range safety. I shot there few times, shot with APD swat once, good guys, not all ego'd up rambos, picked up some beta from them. FBI/Marshal service, did not get on the range with them as they asked that it was a closed range but got to chat awhile.

There are two areas out close to 600 south along the Parks but a few houses have showed up so.......dont remember the milepost but a few outside squaresville.

Been awhile down that stretch of the Highway, rope from Tok should have that area known.

The Richardson has areas too but pay head the pipe. Yes a 338 will punch a hole!

Quite a few GAP rifles in Alaska as you will find out.

Any way....

45.308 you have any hunting plans this way?

Tons of off range shooting to be had around the highway in these parts.

If anyone is coming to the Tok area to hunt, and want to check their zero at our range here, shoot me a pm.

No since you got rid of bucky, I have no use for Tok other than passing through ;)

Since we lost our hunting camp in the valley due to civilation growth, our camps are ********** data masked entry :eek:

Bucky you mean the ship from never-never land. We lost the law suit and had to give it back, Peter Pan has pull. Bucky was great in the Tanana, up current was tricky but due able. Not looking for a hunting place, just an invite to lunch if you came this way.

Be careful, we are going to start charging a toll.

Can anyone recommend a good class III that is set up to e-file? I got to experience a suppressor for the first time on Sunday and now need my own.

If any one in the in the Fairbanks area, and or in the state, want to shoot at Cushman and at longer distances, I'll be heading out the Steese HWY next month once we can see the ground and before the mosquitoes get to frustrating.