• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FAL

hidta107

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2006
tucson
I have a DSA FAL that was built up.It has a thin integral compensator on the barrel and the twist rate is 1 and 12.What weight bullets would give me the best accuracy?

Re: FAL

It is sort of dependent on actual bullet dimensions, but 155 Scenars, or 168 SMK's should do very well. You might even try 175 SMK's or 178 AMAX'S, but I have had better luck with a 1 in 10 twist for the heavier pills. There are others here far more knowledgeable than myself, so you should get some good info shortly.

It is not that simple that you can base it on twist alone. If you are hand loading I would not go heavier than 180, and a 12" twist would point more toward 150 grain projectiles.

I have a Imbel FAL with a 16" chrome lined barrel. A LOT of load development revealed two accurate combos; 44gr. Varget and 168gr Nosler HPBT,or SMK, and any premium bullets under 130grs. with your choice of powder. I used 130gr Speers & 49gr Varget, or 125gr Nosler BT's with 43.5gr AA2230. All the light bullets shot well from this rifle. I had a DSA pimped with the 24" heavy fluted, and it sprayed GMM 168gr 5MOA. Sold it for a $400. loss, and felt lucky to get that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Imbel FAL with a 16" chrome lined barrel. A LOT of load development revealed two accurate combos; 44gr. Varget and 168gr Nosler HPBT,or SMK, and any premium bullets under 130grs. with your choice of powder. I used 130gr Speers & 49gr Varget, or 125gr Nosler BT's with 43.5gr AA2230. All the light bullets shot well from this rifle. I had a DSA pimped with the 24" heavy fluted, and it sprayed GMM 168gr 5MOA. Sold it for a $400. loss, and felt lucky to get that.</div></div>

I've been looking around at .308 semis for a few months, reading a lot and asking questions. And I've read and heard a bunch about high dollar ARs with functional issues, DSAs and PTRs that shoot like AKs, and cheap Century FALs and Cetmes that shoot lights out with a good trigger. Seems there's no sure bets in .308 semis right now, outside of maybe LMTs or Knights (which are out of my price range). I'd be afraid to buy anything without shooting it first. Very depressing.
frown.gif

SnaKum, buy from a reputable company with a renowned excellent customer sevice that way if something goes wrong you will be taken care of.
Now quick whinning and buy a FAL
smile.gif

SnaKum, get an Armalite AR-10. Can be had for around 1200-1500$ brand new. Armalite has great customer service too.
Very rare do Armalites fail, its usually operator error in the case of AR-10s.

I was told years ago, when I first contracted black rifle disease, that if I want accuracy & reliability, get a heavy barreled bolt gun. I own two Armalite AR10's, a Rock barreled Rem 700, and an Imbel FAL, all in .308.
Some people get lucky with the semi autos, but do your homework first, and be prepared to learn how to fix it when something goes wrong, or at least be educated enough to convey the problem to a gunsmith.
My Imbel is a kit gun, and with the right loads,is more reliable and accurate than my AR10's. I got lucky. I get more enjoyment from the short barreled semi-autos, and feel there is more practicality given the parameters of what these rifles are capable of. My AR10's have only malfunctioned 3-4 times out of some 750-900 rounds, and I'm not sure it wasn't my fault.