• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace 5.5-25x56

steelejones

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2011
Maine
I have read as much as possible from users reviews to people trashing scopes they have never used because the price isnt very high.

I understand all the buy and cry however you term it. If my life depended on it, or if I was making my living by shooting I would by all means buy a USO, SB an all the higher end scopes.

But my question remains, is it REALLY impossible for someone to manufacturer a scope that costs ALOT less that actually delivers ALOT of performance for the buck?

I have read more about optics in the past two weeks that I ever dreamed I would. Im dreading making a bad decision here. My budget isnt going to allow me to make a mistake here.

Im like a kid waiting on christmas eve for my first rifle to show up. I got an email today that its shipped and should be here on monday, I KNOW im going to want to shoot it when I get it so I need some glass.

Im a purely recreational shooter, who bets a few bucks with his friends on weekends shooting from 100-500yards. My gun thats showing up is my first rifle EVER and its a Savage Model 10 FP-SR in 223.

I dont have alot of money for glass but I know I want FFP with alot of magnification. I keep looking at the Falcon Menace 5.5-25x56. Alot of great reviews and some that say at 25x it gets a bit milky and the glass is a tad darker than it should be but overal with the features its a great scope. I hear people complain about the warrant of being only 5years but 5 years is long enough for me.

I understand its coming from the UK but a solid dealer here is SWFA. I hear that 'some' of the parts are coming from China and thats why its able to be sold cheaper with the features that it is.

Im told that the early versions had mushy clicks of the turrets but that others say the new ones dont have this issue any longer.

Is there anyone that has ACTUALLY used it or owns one right now that can give me the skinny on this scope thats $464 bucks and seems to offer everything I want. Can someone tell me a better scope for this money ? Or why I shouldnt buy it ?

http://swfa.com/Falcon-Menace-55-25x56-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P47576.aspx

I want to thank you for reading my drivel in advance of your reply. Im lost and unsure at this point, ive read so much my mind is mush!

Re: Falcon Menace 5.5-25x56

I can't say that I've used it, but if your dead set on FFP in your price range that's your only option! If you're not dead set on FFP then look at the Vortex Viper (not PST) and you'll find a 6.5-20X44 version that has good clicks, tracks well (covered turrets but still very usable and resetable), great glass, and a first class warranty for life! I can vouch for this scope as I've owned one and have personally mounted a 6.5-20X50 Viper on a Armalite 50cal that never malfunctioned one time after it was mounted. It's still on the gun and has seen 100's of rounds. If that's not punishment enough, then I don't know what is. I used mine on a 6.5Grendel and it was previously mounted on a 7mm Rem Mag, which is not a walk in the park but not that brutal. The 44mm version is like $400 and the 50mm version is about $500 (I think). In my opinion it's a very dam good scope at a budget minded price. I did consider the Falcon, but I came across the Viper when I was looking (used) at a very good price. I think I paid 250 or 300 for it and it was like new with no marks/damage, complete with box/paperwork, etc.

I'm sorry that I can't help you on the Falcon, but I would say that it sounds like you're sold on it for the price and the FFP. I've read alot of reviews on em when I looked at em and quite frankly I was not impressed enough to give em my money, but at that time SWFA didn't carry em either. Oh and there's on one the forum right now (Falcon) for like $300 so you could probably save yourself some cash and find out! Goodluck, maybe you should look at that one and pm the seller?

Just another option... You could look in the PX and find a good deal on a slightly better scope. A Bushnell FFP comes to mind.

I know that takes patience, but I think in the end you would be happier with a bushy than a falcon

Dave

Here is my experience with a Falcon Menace 4-14x44:

I purchased this optic over a year ago because I wanted to try a FFP scope and there weren't quite as many choices available as there are now. I really wanted a PST but they were still pretty much vaporware at the time.

I wasn't expecting it to be the last scope I purchased, just needed it to last long enough for me to decide whether I wanted a better FFP or SFP scope, so I felt like the 5 year warranty was plenty for that purpose.

Since I bought it I have returned it twice (for the same problem which wasn't even addressed the first time). I am now waiting on a replacement from the vendor I purchased from.

When I emailed him about returning the scope I was told I could send it in but he had no more available and had no idea when he'd get more. I shipped it to him a few weeks ago and have heard nothing since.

I really liked the design and function of the scope for the short time it worked. I just wish I had bought it from a different retailer, even though everything I read on here about the guy seemed to be positive.

If you do buy one, my advise would be to deal with SWFA or someone else that usually carries a decent inventory of things in case you do have a problem with it. Then you wouldn't be like me: out the money for the scope, no product in hand or prospect of one, having to purchase a replacement without being able to offer the old one up for sale like I originally intended.

IMHO

Falcons are a crap shoot durability wise. Since you are intending to mount on a .223 - your risk is lower.

These scopes offer a lot for the money. I've also noticed the warranties have been improved. I like them, but for $400 more you can do better. If the extra $400 is a "killer", then give the Falcon a try.

Guys your right, I ended up going with a SS 10X for my first scope. Im going to save up and buy something much nicer later on.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I bought it I have returned it twice (for the same problem which wasn't even addressed the first time).</div></div>

What was the problem, if you don't mind saying?

Not holding zero or tracking properly.

i have a menace 5.5-25x56 on my 308 ar style and have no problems with it. i shoot 2 to 3 times a month 30 to 50 rounds at a time. i am actually pretty happy with it for what the price was.still holds zero and still tracks good. my only complaint is that i do not like the shape of the knobs i would like them shorter like the target style knob on their new target scope. and i only have enough elevation adjustment left to go out to 800yd

I have a 4-14x.
Glass is clear, image is crisp.
has been very good to me.
It spent some time on a 10PC in .308 (about 500 rounds) with no ill effects.

I got it to check out the FFP mil/mil world and used it in a 1 week, high round count course.