• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

False notices

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
Has anyone else started getting notices that services they are using have expired, that you know have not expired. Getting notices that all the streaming services Brenda uses, Apple’s iCloud and several other strange notices like a package I ordered could not be levered or my order is waiting.

All of these are fake and while they came along occasionally, in the last month it seems they be deluging my inbox and spam box. Wondering if others are getting the same increase of nonsense sent to them

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
I haven’t seen an uptick personally, but I think these scammers have a repository of emails and phone numbers and probably hit a block of numbers/addresses heavily and then move on to another chunk of their list.

The one I see most often is the text message “your package couldn’t be delivered because… buy us gift cards.”

I have seen a relatively new and more sophisticated scam though. Fake technical support. There are websites that will come up with a Google search that are spoofs for legit tech support hotlines, but if you call, they will feign helpfulness and eventually try to gain remote access to your computer. My wife called one by mistake trying to get help setting up apps on a smart tv. She figured it out in time.

These sleaze balls have people working in legit companies’ outsourced call centers as well. I called AT&T (the legit phone #) and talked to an employee about my account, and then asked a technical question. The guy transferred me to one of those bogus scam centers. Took me a minute to realize what had happened because I had been on the phone with a legitimate company before the call transfer.

These sleaze balls have people working in legit companies’ outsourced call centers as well. I called AT&T (the legit phone #) and talked to an employee about my account, and then asked a technical question. The guy transferred me to one of those bogus scam centers. Took me a minute to realize what had happened because I had been on the phone with a legitimate company before the call transfer.

Damn, now that's dirty. How's a guy to know? I hope you call back and somehow let the powerw to be at the company know that someone on the payroll is handing customers off to scam centers. I would think any halfway legit company would loose their shit if they found out it was happening and flush the dirt bag out ASAP.

My packages keep getting held up at UPS. Damnit. I keep sending money, but they keep getting held up.

I've won the publishers clearinghouse a few times now. Always a call from Jamaica. Text messages of packages that couldn't be delivered, netflix account scams, all of 'em. It used to piss me off, now it doesn't phase me because it's so common anymore.

Now when the bank texts me, I don't call them back at the provided number, I call the number on the card to make sure I don't get fooled. I'm pretty sure that the people they are really targeting are the older, less tech savvy, folk that just don't really know any better. Hopefully it won't be long until people are wise to their games, and it's no longer profitable to keep doing their scams.

May all scammers get butthole cancer and die a horrible death.

Branden

My packages keep getting held up at UPS. Damnit. I keep sending money, but they keep getting held up.
My wife got this a few times... and I said ignore it, it's a scam... After 4 or 5, she's like "Maybe it's legit?"

I told her to forward the message to my phone so I could investigate it...
Boom... FCC (@#@!#@#4@#$$) blocked the message and disabled SMS on her phone!!!!!
T-Mobile said they couldn't unlock it and had to request the FCC to do it!!!!! Fuckers took 2 weeks to reenable SMS on her phone.
What The Fuck is the FCC doing scanning private SMS messages and DISABLING PHONES... You fuckers! Totally illegal.

Yeah, I'm not pissed or considering a lawsuit at all... fuckers.

• Haha
Reactions: x2cross and hkguns
The perverse infringements on our privacy thanks to the "Patriot Act" the Republicrats just extended have no bounds.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
My wife got this a few times... and I said ignore it, it's a scam... After 4 or 5, she's like "Maybe it's legit?"

I told her to forward the message to my phone so I could investigate it...
Boom... FCC (@#@!#@#4@#$$) blocked the message and disabled SMS on her phone!!!!!
T-Mobile said they couldn't unlock it and had to request the FCC to do it!!!!! Fuckers took 2 weeks to reenable SMS on her phone.
What The Fuck is the FCC doing scanning private SMS messages and DISABLING PHONES... You fuckers! Totally illegal.

Yeah, I'm not pissed or considering a lawsuit at all... fuckers.
A lawsuit? Against a massive gub'mint bureaucracy? Be sure your liar does in on commission. Good luck.

Reactions: NoDopes
These types of phishes will become more prevalent shortly after your information is leaked somewhere.