• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fast barrel erosion??

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
I have a 6xc with about 800 rounds down the tube. I bought some factory tubb 115 DTAC ammo just to have some brass and while i shot it I noticed it was a moderate jam into the lands, maybe .010" or so. Enough to not extract the round without filling the chamber with powder. I actually got my backorder of brass before i shot all this up, i have about 25 of the 50 left, so i had stopped using them and loaded my own ammo again and shot about 120 rounds and now i went to shoot up the rest of the factory and it does not touch the lands anymore. Is this possible to have eroded that much in only 100 or so rounds? Maybe it wasnt .010" into the lands but still, should it erode that quick?

Too bad you didn't measure all the rounds and see how consistent the COL was.
I would contact DTAC and mention it.
No, you won't get throat erosion to that extent that soon, not even with a .240 Weatherby Magnum, unless there is something seriously wrong with the metallurgy of the barrel.

You're assuming that every bullet is identical. They're not. Factory OAL varies. Projectile length varies. If they are close to the lands, some could jam while others not.

Length to ogive was within .002 of each other for 8 rounds but all 25 previous jammed now none do? seems more than just variance to me but maybe. Its a criterion barrel.

Got a Shilen prefit 243 1:8 twist from them. Barrel was gone in 600 rounds.
43gr imr4350, 105's @ 315ofps.
no more Shilen barrels for me.

Terry