• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fast Fire, Doctor Optics... type optics?

long-shot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri
I'm building a pretty simple AR (Recce'ish) rifle and have used Eotechs, Aimpoints before, but would like to keep the weight down to a minimum if possible. I like the Aimpoint T1's but the cost is a little high for a fun rifle.

Do these smaller optics hold up to weekend warrior use, and what are your experiences?

Thanks.

jeff

Re: Fast Fire, Doctor Optics... type optics?

Docter sights are pretty durable, but the one you want is the Insight MRDS.

I have had a T&E unit for a while and it is fantastic.

-3.5MOA

-No removal needed for battery changes

-Adjustable brightness

-"Roll Cage" provided for hard use

-Uses commonly available Docter mounts

I have a Docter that is shattered and still works, but the MRDS is leaps and bounds above any of the others.

Primary Arms has a T1 sized optic that is considerably more affordable. There may be some reviews out there somewhere. Other options would be one of the Primary Arms M3/M4 styled sights or the Vortex Strikefire. I use a Strikefire and it works well. Using it in extremely bright sunlight is easier if you use the green dot instead of the red, but that might just be me. If you are dead set on a JP/Doctor styled sight the RDP-II sight from Tactical Night Vision Corporation is one of the more affordable options out there. I'm rambling, it must be the Turkey.

Jeff,
I was looking for the same thing a short time ago. Wanted a cheap red dot and wasn't going to be beating it or doing anything more than range fun and plinking.
I ended up going with the Fastfire II. I had a JP prior to that and didnt like that it didnt have an "off" switch. The fastfire is bright enough to see on a sunny day and weight isn't an issue. I had it on my spikes 22 upper and wasn't noticable.
I switched it over to a 11 degree mount for recent match. Works fine in that manner as well. Good luck enjoy...also keep in mind Larue makes an "iron dot" that provides a lil more toughness to the little dots.

I have tried Fastfire 1's and a couple of others similar on my double rifles. None have survived the recoil for very long.

Have a trijicon on a .458 Lott that seems to be ok so far and a Burris FFII on my Benelli Semi auto that is holding up fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Don Heath D.Sc.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tried Fastfire 1's and a couple of others similar on my double rifles. None have survived the recoil for very long.

Have a trijicon on a .458 Lott that seems to be ok so far and a Burris FFII on my Benelli Semi auto that is holding up fine. </div></div>

I'm not sure if I would fail first or the optics on those rifles. I'm leaning towards the MRDS if the warranty is as described.

Trijicon's new RMR is nice but the dot size is huge (7-13MOA). It's built sturdier than an ACOG and takes no batteries. They make a battery powered version but I like the MRDS better.