• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fast twist 30-30 Winchester for heavy bullets

AR10ShooterinNC

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
I have been thinking about getting a 14 inch, 1-7 twist, 30-30 Win Contender barrel to shoot heavy 240+ grain bullets. I think it would make a good duel purpose whitetail and fun gun. I would like to shoot the heavy bullets for sub sonic, suppressed. I can't seem to find any load data on anything over 180 grains for the 30-30.

For data you might see if Lyman offers any data fot their heavy cast 30 Cal., OR try the cast boolit forum, there is a Co. making a 247 gn 30 cal. designed for the 30/221, Whisper, BO, or what ever you want to call it.
A "standard" 1-10 T will stabilize a 200 SMK. A lot of silhouette shooters that used the factory 1-10 in the then new 10" T/C's in 300 Whisper. Remember it's the bullets LENGTH not weight that determines the rate of twist for stabilization. And, be it BTHP, RN or ?? the bullet isn't going to be going fast enough [sub sonic] to expand
Also, keep in mind what is a "legal length" for a "pistol" and a "rifle" when you consider adding a "can"
Stability program

Reactions: AR10ShooterinNC
If you are going to be shooting flat nosed bullets they should be stable in a slower twist. I would buy a factory 30-30 barrel for your Contender and give it a try first. I designed, and licensed, a 265g bullet for the 300 Blackout. It is stable in a 10 twist at 1,100 fps. In 8 twist barrels it is completely stable at pretty much any velocity.

Personally, I would buy a 300 Blackout. It is much more efficient with heavier bullets in shorter barrels. You get much better case fill that helps accuracy. I have shot a metric ton of HEAVY bullets out of the 300 Blackout. Best part is you can use super fast pistol powders with a single shot. I use a lot of Red Dot abd Trail Boss. I compress Trail Boss and it works great with my subsonic loads. The faster powders are significantly quieter than loads out of a book with a silencer.

The only time the length of a silencer comes into the measurement is it it is permanently attached. Might be some state laws I am unaware of but on a federal level a silencer does not add length unless it is permanently attached.

Reactions: AR10ShooterinNC
If you are going to be shooting flat nosed bullets they should be stable in a slower twist. I would buy a factory 30-30 barrel for your Contender and give it a try first. I designed, and licensed, a 265g bullet for the 300 Blackout. It is stable in a 10 twist at 1,100 fps. In 8 twist barrels it is completely stable at pretty much any velocity.

Personally, I would buy a 300 Blackout. It is much more efficient with heavier bullets in shorter barrels. You get much better case fill that helps accuracy. I have shot a metric ton of HEAVY bullets out of the 300 Blackout. Best part is you can use super fast pistol powders with a single shot. I use a lot of Red Dot abd Trail Boss. I compress Trail Boss and it works great with my subsonic loads. The faster powders are significantly quieter than loads out of a book with a silencer.

The only time the length of a silencer comes into the measurement is it it is permanently attached. Might be some state laws I am unaware of but on a federal level a silencer does not add length unless it is permanently attached.

Thanks for the reply!

I have filed a form 1 to SBR the contender frame.

I have a 300 Blackout upper for one of my AR's. I like the idea of being about to shoot the 150 to 180 gr 30-30 bullets at speeds better than the Blackout, but still be able to shoot the heavy 240gr SMK for fun. It was just some thing I was thinking about playing with. I will eventually get a 300 Blackout barrel for my contender.