• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fasteners for mounting a press

A5scott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Eastern PA
Anyone use threaded inserts as a means to attach a press or a riser like Inline Fabrication makes to their bench? Not T nuts, but threaded inserts.

for example:

They seem very strong. Table 1 on the following link shows their pull out strengthen red oak, to be about 886 pounds. Sunk in 1/2" and .376" diameter fastener

They seem like a nice way to allow the removal of a press and or riser. T Tracks look cool too, but I don't need all that movement.

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0040D.JPG

Thanks,
Scott

If they were cheaper i would rock it. The pull strength has more to do with the wood than it does with the fasteners honestly.

Amazon has tracks for less if you only want a couple feet. There are also cheap solutions at your local hardware store. Go find some T nuts, drill an appropriately sized hole all the way through the top, and hammer the t nut on the under side of the table. You then thread a 1/4x20 bolt through the press, through the table, and into the nut. Then you're clamping the whole thing down.

yes those threaded inserts are stupid expensive. The top is already attached to the bench, and I can take the top drawer out, but there isn't much room to swing a hammer. I'm sure I could get it done. I've also seen T nuts get implanted by threading a screw thru the hole and cranking a nut on the other side. Plus they are like 10 times less expensive which is great. I have experience with T-nuts and expansion bolts in climbing, and my buddy used to travel the country and build climbing walls, so yeah if the rock (or wood) isn't solid, it doesn't matter the pull out strength of the fastener.
Thanks,
Scott

Threaded inserts work very well in hardwoods and even in pressed woods. They can be had for a lot less than shown in your link. T-nuts also work well when used properly. They both have their applications.

Here’s a couple links I found with a quick search. $0.35/each or less:

Reactions: A5scott
I would think the glue used to set them would be more important to the strength than the nut itself

You do not use glue on threaded inserts. The threads on the outside of the inset is what holds them in the wood. The strength of the fastener is only dependent upon the type of substrate you are using them in, I.E. hardwood, particle board, soft wood, plastics, etc. Also, the material of which the inserts are made, I.E. brass, steel, cast metal, nylon, etc.

Used in a proper application and inserted correctly, inserts are a very good option for fasteners that may be removed and refastened and even modular furniture assembly.

Inserts are a very good option for the OP and his specific application.

both my press and my vise are mounted to our work bench with the threaded inserts...i think i purchased them on sale at a local wood working shop. I don't recall them being expensive.

they work great. ....and when we moved it was so easy to remove everything and then subsequently remount everything.

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I have both Inline Fab press mounts installed using threaded inserts and they feel very solid.

As a test, my buddy and I sank one into a 1/2" thick slice of poplar, and shock loaded it with a 50 pound weight and bounce tested it (aid climbing for any climbers reading this) with my buddy weighting it with a combined static weight of about 275 pounds and then bouncing on it, and it held no problem. They perform about the same as ice screws, and sink in nicely using a 1/4-20 screw and a double nut to jam and turn.

Yes, I really like the ability to remove everything and have a smooth bench, not that I need that option often.

Thanks again,
Scott

IMG_0049D.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

Which inserts did you end going with?

I wanted stainless steel, so I ended up getting the stainless ones from amazon. Yes they were more money, but I also needed the shorter length, and I didn't need to pay for shipping as if I used another supplier.

Scott

Reactions: TEUFEL820