• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Fat Bastard Muzzle Brake

95LTZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2003
Ft. Pierce, Fl
I have a GAP built Rem SA 7 WSM in an AICS stock w/USO optics. It originally had a had a American Precision Arms Little Bastard brake on it. After having open heart surgery I figured less recoil would be a good thing. I spoke with Jered Joplin, owner of American Precision Arms about wanting a reduction of recoil. He talked with me about the Fat Bastard brake which he makes. Very pleasant & knowledgeable individual. He took the time to answer all my questions. Now we have all heard folks make all sorts of claims about muzzle brakes. I have shot many, many different types & styles of muzzle brakes over the years. This sucker just flat works! It is without a doubt the best muzzle brake I have ever fired, bar none. It would be a toss up as to which has more recoil a 10.5 lb non-braked .243 or the 7 WSM Fat Bastard. Truly one of the best firearm related purchases I've ever bought.
Thanks to Jered has his capable crew for doing what you guys do.
Semper Fi

Re: Fat Bastard Muzzle Brake

I have smaller caliber rifles but this thing, well it shoots like all GAP rifles......really good. This brake just makes it so much more enjoyable to shoot.

with fat bastard, lighter loads are not needed. Mine is awsome on 7WSM. Been saying it since I got it. I offten spot my hits better than my spotter.
A huge warning about the sound concusion. With double hearing protection it hurts after shooting my suppressed 308.

A friend of mine on this site shoots a 7WSM with the Fat Bastard. I have shot this rifle with the break on and I swear I think it actually moves forward 1/4". ZERO recoil, that is one effective brake.

He also has one on his .338 Lapua, it makes the recoil on his .338 less than an AR-15. By far this is the most effective brake I have ever shot!

I have one on my 300WM and I would swear that it is the MOST EFFECTIVE break on the market.....HANDS DOWN. Jered is GTG and makes great products!

ive read that the concussion with these brakes is pretty rough, so what is it like in comparison to? this is the brake i was going with after i get after i got my barrel threaded, but is the lower recoil worth the headache? and then for my ar10 build, what about the little bastard?

These are doing the job they were made for , recoil reduction .
the energy must go some where and you transfering it to a concusion type engergy
These work great
Bill

A lot of brakes, well the concussion hits me in the forehead. The FB did not. To me comfortable/well mannered brake not only reduces recoil but is also pleasant to shoot it terms of concussion. Normally the best to be is right behind the shooter just looking over his/her head. The guys were standing behind me about 4 ft. & said that they were hit with a pretty significant pressure wave. Other folks results may vary but I am extremely pleased with the Fat Bastard.
Semper Fi

These are the way to go

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of brakes, well the concussion hits me in the forehead. The FB did not. To me comfortable/well mannered brake not only reduces recoil but is also pleasant to shoot it terms of concussion. Normally the best to be is right behind the shooter just looking over his/her head. The guys were standing behind me about 4 ft. & said that they were hit with a pretty significant pressure wave. Other folks results may vary but I am extremely pleased with the Fat Bastard.
Semper Fi </div></div>