• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fat Bastard or Muscle Brake?

Archangel01

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Arizona
Well Ladies and Gentlemen I am the new owner of a Rem 700 in 300WM that i am building. The overall goal of the gun is about 90% paper and steel but also being my new elk rifle. My dad has also taken quite the interest in the rifle but with his... lets say... "elevated" age and shoulder issues I would like to tame the recoil as much as possible for my pops. As far as my searching has done both are very effective brakes and seem to have the most positive reviews from first hand owners/users. Only design difference other than the muscle slabbed option, is the muscle brake having a 90 degree first port which i can see the advantage of this at the range around other shooters, but most of my shooting other than hunting is out on a friends ranch with one maybe two other fiends. Really what i'm asking with only a $20 price difference between them, if you were in my over sized shoes what would you pick?

A lot of people swear by the Fat Bastard brakes. Some say that it's very effective and keeps a bit of concussion in the large bore calibers away from the shooter (although I've never really had a problem with this on any large bore I have ever shot or owned).

The port design looks somewhat similar so I think you would be GTG with either one. I know it's a substantial additional cost and not what this thread is asking, but ultimately a suppressor would spread some of the recoil over time and help your Dad out the most.

I have a muscle on my 6.5 creedmoor and it recoils close to my non braked 223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Fat Bastard on my 6.5 Creedmoor and totally love it. Shooters next to me don't love it so much LOL. It is very effective.

My friend has a fat bastard on a 338 edge no recoil I can spot my own shots at any distance.

I have a fat bastard on my 300 Winnie and it kicks about like a 223 hope that helps

I would add JEC to this list. I have installed several with great results.
BTW I have shot with all of these brakes.

R

I have shot both and they both work really well. I like the muscle brake better because of its size.

I have shot both and they both work really well. I like the muscle brake better because of its size.

This is something i hadn't really taken into consideration to be honest. do you prefer the Muscle brake because it is physically smaller or weighs less or are the pictures deceiving me into believing the fat bastard is actually smaller???

I use the Muscle brake on a 300 RUM and it's a kitten...I can spot my own shots all day long with it.

Same for me with my 300 RUM but I wouldn't do it again, it's so loud that if you ever have to shoot it without earplugs you'll be hating life for a while. Get a can, tighter groups, damn near the same recoil as a brake and no hearing protection needed. Downfall is that you'll want to thread all of your barrels!

Ultimately i would like to get a can but its not really on the top of the list of things to purchase so the brake will have to do until then, not like i can get the paperwork done overnight anyways. As of now i'm leaning to the muscle brake. Really only because i like the look of the slabbed design better. And its $20 less, that's 3 days of lunch haha

The Fat Bastard is by far the best brake on the market, it's recoil reduction is second to none. My son was shooting one of my 338 Lapuas with great accuracy at the age of 8. That would not have been possible without the Fat Bastard.

Mike

image.jpg

Here's mine on my 308 by Ross Schuler. Love it. Makes it a bit louder but very efficient!

I have a Precision Armament M11 brake on my 300wm sendero, and I swear it recoils less then my 223 AR. And as being the shooter the percussion isnt bad, can get away with ear plugs only and only hear a "pop". But if not directly behind the rifle its loud as hell.

Had a APA "Little Jimmy" installed on my Savage 110 FCP HS .300wm, bullets in the 168 range equal .223 as far as fell recoil. 208/215 bullets might equal .243 levels but the blast is considerable, hearing protection is a must. Building another .300wm at the moment and will go to the "Little Jimmy" again. I'm not recoil sensitive, but as I get to the mid 50's I don't wish to have any shoulder issues.