• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fatboy Jr gun safe

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
My local Grange Co-op has a Fatboy Jr gunsafe 48cf on sale for $1000 . Anyone have experience with these safes? They seem solid enough, and my floor is more than strong enough for the weight of the safe.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Re: Fatboy Jr gun safe

I have one and like it. My only issue is that there is no way it will hold as many long guns as they say - but that seems to be common with every safe company. Might also have to do with larger optics, etc. that I have on mine.

I did get the hangers so I can hang my pistols under the shelf, they work well and help me get more stuff in to the safe.

I paid $1250 delivered for mine from Lowes a year or so ago so the price you have seems to be a good one.

It is one of Liberty's better selling safes. I think I have moved 30 or so and I'm not a dealer. Just help my uncle out from time to time. Alot of guys like them as you can access more guns without unloading a bunch of others. And as CEGA says, no gun rating is what it is for any brand. A 48 gun to me, it about 16 rifles and the remainder must be handguns. IMO.

I bought one locally two years ago on sale for $900 and I have no complaints. As mentioned above, it might hold 48 Ruger 10/22's, but thats the only way you're getting 48 long guns in there. But outside of that, its a great safe for the money.

I just picked one up. Like the other posters said, trying to fit 48 guns on the jenky double stack racks that come with it is a horrible joke.
IMO the racks suck big time(very tight spacing), however the size and the price make it worthy for my needs.
Get the hanger for the door and get lotsa extra room for pistols.

I checked out the FatboyJr the other day while out safe shopping. I would say its no better or worse than any of the run of the mill RSC's. The handle and dial worked smooth and the layout inside is nice looking, not sure how it would actually work when filling with guns but it looks like you could utilize the space well. My gripe with liberty safes are the internal hinges opening only about 90 degrees. I always try to put the non hinge side of a safe up against a wall to help prevent a succesful pry attack. It's nice if the safe can open 180 degrees to access the contents better if up against a wall.

I wouldn't buy one for that reason alone but if a 90 degree door will suit you I doubt you'll find a better safe with that capacity for that price?

After looking at a bunch of different safes the other day and a little help from members here I have decided to add a AMSEC BF6030 for my growing collection. In person the safe seemed better built than all the other RSC's and it's impressive on paper as well with the poured concrete mixture fire protection and two layers of steel. A similar size on to the FatboyJr may be more than what you are willing to spend but IMO locking up a large collection is worth the coin. Most of mine live in a TL30 Diebold.

Even the TF and SF lines I was checking out seemed much better built than any of the liberty's I've seen. They have the similar fire insulation to liberty but the construction appeared much better and more heavy duty. They also have a solid plate door unlike the liberty. I have a Heritage Legacy as well and after checking out the AMSEC safes I would much rather have bought a SF series at 1/2 the price I paid for the heritage. The AMSECS also come with a very nice door organizer that holds a bunch of pistols, mags, two rifles, and a ton of other stuff. That runs an extra $150 or so for most safes.

If you want a large safe and are willing to spend some more you might want to look at the TF7240. It's got a 11 gauge body, 3/16" plate door, and is rated for 47 long guns including 2 on the door organizer. it also weighs 221lbs more than the FatboyJr which will help make sure nobody carries it out. Just some food for thought. Check out thesafeplace.com another member posted that link and they have great deals going on TF's right now.

Internal hinges reduce fire rating too with drywall-constructed safes. There is no fire barrier in the area the hinges occupy when the door is closed. There is a direct path of heat from the outside, through the sheet metal shell, into the contents of the safe.