• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Father teaches daughter a lesson about Facebook

Re: Father teaches daughter a lesson about Facebook

I moved from a large city in Oregon to a small city in Washington state. Just want folks to know that not all youth are bad. I got tired of the way so many young folks in the large city acted so rude and entitled. In the smaller city, I find that most of the young folks have far better manners, look you in the eye, act like civilized young people, speak in full sentences rather than gutteral grunts, many even say "please" and "thank you", and give appropriate greetings such as "good morning" and so on. I was pleasantly surprised.

They aren't all bad....although a year ago I sure wondered about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
These words of wisdom brought to you by a "boy" who does not have any children of his own.
</div></div>

Funniest thing I heard all day so far.
laugh.gif
Might want to research members before making false snap judgements. </div></div>

lol - the self-proclaimed 'profiler' getting owned... </div></div>

Ok I was a bit off the mark, I did assume that people who advertise their demented lifestyle in front of millions, shouldn't have kids. Maybe he does have a kid but he is a kid himself. He is 22 if he hasn't been lying, so he really couldn't have very much fathering skill, enough to comment on a the abilities of a father that is obviously more experienced than himself.
You can both lick my balls. </div></div>

Soon as they drop, give me a shout...

I shouldn't be feeding the troll, but I shall for my own entertainment. As a parent I can assure you that there's no such thing as a perfect parent and also no such thing as universal parenting skills. They are a field expedient type of thing. Kids have different personalities and parenting that is good for one kid may not be good for another. I myself have 2 young sons (ages 1 and 5). However, I have been sort of a parent since before they came along. I pretty much was the parenting figure in my little brother's life back when I was 12. And before I get asked what about teenage kids, my little brother turns 14 nest month and I do still have him over my house and treat him as a son.

Age and experience are 2 separate things. Just because someone is young doesn't make them have no experience. Hell, there's people who are 2-3x my age and even older who have no kids, so therefore they have NO experience compared to me who's only 22.

Troll feeding session over.
smile.gif

I can't believe that I just read a self-aggrandizing post on parenting from Maser. If you actually have kids, I'd love to know for ironic shits and giggles how you handle potty training in <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shouldn't be feeding the troll, but I shall for my own entertainment. As a parent I can assure you that there's no such thing as a perfect parent and also no such thing as universal parenting skills. They are a field expedient type of thing. Kids have different personalities and parenting that is good for one kid may not be good for another. I myself have 2 young sons (ages 1 and 5). However, I have been sort of a parent since before they came along. I pretty much was the parenting figure in my little brother's life back when I was 12. And before I get asked what about teenage kids, my little brother turns 14 nest month and I do still have him over my house and treat him as a son.

Age and experience are 2 separate things. Just because someone is young doesn't make them have no experience. Hell, there's people who are 2-3x my age and even older who have no kids, so therefore they have NO experience compared to me who's only 22.

smile.gif

</div></div>

Good post, Maze. Pay no attention the man in the Turban. :
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe that I just read a self-aggrandizing post on parenting from Maser. If you actually have kids, I'd love to know for ironic shits and giggles how you handle potty training in <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> house. </div></div>

There was no self-aggrandizement at all. It was a more mature, well written post than 99% of the drivel you post in your attempts to get attention.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe that I just read a self-aggrandizing post on parenting from Maser. If you actually have kids, I'd love to know for ironic shits and giggles how you handle potty training in <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> house. </div></div>

There was no self-aggrandizement at all. It was a more mature, well written post than 99% of the drivel you post in your attempts to get attention. </div></div>

And this is coming from someone who displays balance and objective fairness towards me? Uh, no?

Good for him. We need more parents that are not afraid to kick their kids in the ass when they f...up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Good post, Maze. Pay no attention the man in the Turban. :
grin.gif
</div></div>

No worries there. That individual has been on my ignore list since November due to her Shout Box antics.

I enjoyed the video. I would have sold the laptop to buy some ammo though.

Wow!
I think this guy vastly underestimated what he was doing....As did his daughter.
I would never take my child's discipline public. I think that was a mistake. The long term affect on his daughter will not be worth his satisfaction. She will be ridiculed and perhaps even bullied over this. Ask anyone with a tee age child on FB.

Facebook is a tough scene for parents to monitor.
Once my kids got on Facebook we quickly ran into issues so I set a few rules with my kids: 1)I always have the password to their accounts. 2) I have a keystroke counter on each computer(they know this). 3) I give them a days notice to clean up their page before I review it (I have unofficially broken this rule in the name of intel). 4) Never post something that illegal, disrespectful of others, or harm your long term reputation.

To be honest I cut my kids a fair bit of slack here.
Why? Well among other things Facebook is medium for social expression that my generation doesn't completely understand. I give it some room, but that doesn't mean I ignore it....I watch it like a hawk.

The old boy was right to obliterate her laptop...I would have too.
Taking a family fight online is a recipe for disaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shouldn't be feeding the troll, but I shall for my own entertainment. As a parent I can assure you that there's no such thing as a perfect parent and also no such thing as universal parenting skills. They are a field expedient type of thing. Kids have different personalities and parenting that is good for one kid may not be good for another. I myself have 2 young sons (ages 1 and 5). However, I have been sort of a parent since before they came along. I pretty much was the parenting figure in my little brother's life back when I was 12. And before I get asked what about teenage kids, my little brother turns 14 nest month and I do still have him over my house and treat him as a son.

smile.gif

</div></div>

Yeah, good post Maser, it shows you might just have a chance at growing up a little bit, eventually. It appears though, that your history on the boards is still a hill needing climbed.

Just sayin'......

Keep in mind, when you launch yourself into a parenting topic, that there's likely a lot of people around the discussion with a bit more BT/DT than you....me for example....I've got three kids older than you, and three grandkids older than your kids, and three kids still at home....so when it comes to lauding parental experience, it's pretty hard to bullshit we who have been at it a while and you gotta put the time in <span style="font-style: italic">first</span>, before you can claim it. Parents are judged by what they've been able to do so far, not by what they think/say they can do in the future.

And if you need a visual on the scope of this parenting thing, you are never done with it physically until they bury you in the ground....and then, after that, if you've done your job well, your parenting lives on in every generation to come. My mother passed almost a year ago and I simply can't imagine not ever looking to her for some kind of guidance. That's just how it's supposed to work.

You've yet, son, to even begin........

OK, so who's gonna start a pool on how soon the child protective services folks show up and start making Dad's life miserable? Wanna bet someone is gonna whisper in the daughter's ear and suggest that she can get even by filing a complaint with the state nannies? Dad's gonna get accused of child endangerment, creating a hazardous environment by wearing a gun, shooting it in the yard, rather than at an "approved" facility. I'm grabbing some chips and dip and beer and waiting for episode 2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">remember when the only social media there was were everyone's front porch? </div></div>

Still got that, here.....

Porch goes ALL the way across the front of the house.

Shady place, gas grill, furnature to sit and relax, drink beer, coffee, spirits, eat.

Friends always welcome.........

plus it kept the kids close enough that if they mouthed off and shown any disrespect, they were still in range for a good smack.

I say good on the dad. That little bitch doesnt have chores. When I was her age, I came home, cleaned up after and feed 12 dogs, that was after I got done mucking out a 10 stall barn and riding a couple of colts if it was needed and feeding up to 16 head of horses. My parents taught me how to work, and how to help provide for the family. I was a little spoiled in the fact that I wanted for nothing (with in reason). They gave me my dads worn out truck when I turned 16 (the truck was almost as old as I was). And I was grateful for it.

I always had clothes on my back and food in my guts. I worked and worked hard, but it taught a set of values that apparently that little girl doesnt have.

He did the right thing, more parents need to ante up and tune on their kids a little. I be damned if mine have a computer if they dont buy it themselves.

the real question... is where is he that he can shoot a .45 with trafic running in the background... looks like a few buildings too.

I would never want to embarrass my kids publicly but I can completely understand where this guy is coming from. If there is a man on earth who has ever actually raised a teenage daughter who has not thought about putting his head through the nearest wall I want to meet him. (LIAR!!!)

Ironic that the hot new parenting book is called "Bringing up Bebe" and is about French child rearing. The part most people in the U.S. are apparently having trouble with is that most of the French admit to slapping or spanking their kids. I don't do this but often wonder if that isn't one of the main changes that has occurred in the last few generations. I think most of us probably pissed ourselves when we heard the infamous "wait til your dad gets home", don't think as many kids worry about that these days.

One of the things I have found interesting is that just about all the successful people I have known in my life have similar stories on the subject of discipline and that was a lot respect for, and a pretty healthy fear of really pissing off, dad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The point of a lesson is for it to be learned and life to move on. By putting the video on Facebook the lesson will become a constant yoke and a point of ridicule for the girl. The values the father tried to impart could instead be usurped by the effects of the public getting into the act. Family matters are private, they should stay private.

I can't help but think that video was more about the dad's ego than the girl's upbringing. </div></div>

Yeah, I got that impression as well. Guy definitely has a fondness for the sound of his own voice. No chance at all that shooting the laptop was his only option either...

And regardless of the parent/child dynamic, there are still at least two sides to every story. I'm not willing to discount the daughter's take on it based solely on pop's say so.

And I have two daughters, both older than his.

one of the big problems you face as parents is the relative lack of parenting by other parents.

your kids, being brought up the correct way, see these other spoiled kids and realize....hey...they have it easier than me. That's not fair.

Of course, that shit don't fly in my house when my kids bring it up..but it does make it a bit more challenging keeping them on the right track.

I think i would have sold her laptop on eBay instead of destroying it. He could have recouped some of his money.

The thing I find interesting about the whole story of the video getting out on the internet and being commented upon is that the comments seem to directly relate to the mental maturity of whomever is posting the comment.

For Instance:
My 14 year old granddaughter's comment to me was "Oh how embarassing it must be for that girl to have her Daddy be known to all her friends for throwing a fit that the whole world will see.
My 34 year old daughter has a lot of sympathy for the Dad because she is having similar problems with her daughter (not the cussing) about facebook posting and inappropriate use of her cell phone and not doing her 30 minutes of chores a day.

Personally, I remember when my daughter was giving me the same sort of problems. She tried to claim that it was just fine for her bedroom to be a disgusting mess because she kept the door shut. I got tired of griping at her to clean her room and backed my truck up to the front door one Saturday and loaded everything in her room that looked to be a mess. Only thing she had left was some clothes that were actually hung up properly and some stuff in the dresser that were neatly folded. It looked like a nice clean jail cell when I was done. No stereo or TV or junk on the walls. What pissed her off the most was that I had gotten rid of all the clothes she actually liked to wear because they were part of the mess dumped around in piles on the floor. Now days that is a story she uses to tell her kids how rough she had it and how her kids had better toe the line or she will have me come over and take care of the mess.

Like most other things it is a matter of perspective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">remember when the only social media there was were everyone's front porch? </div></div>

Still got that, here.....

Porch goes ALL the way across the front of the house.

Shady place, gas grill, furnature to sit and relax, drink beer, coffee, spirits, eat.

Friends always welcome......... </div></div>

This part too, must be something about Va...

My stepdaughter, who I have raised since she was 10 and is now 24, posted this on her facebook wall and tagged me to it. She referenced this guy as my long lost brother but with the implication that it was something I would do without hesitation. This was done as a joke of course and all involved got a good laugh.
I asked her about it and she said she would have been devastated at that age.

I agree with the man (no surprise, right?) I believe in keeping family business private but sometimes embarrassment can be used with great success.

I think the father is worse than the kid. At least she has an excuse: she's a kid and they all rebel at that age. It isn't anything new FFS. He could have approached that a 100 different ways but he took the childish approach and it is obvious he did it in anger.

Only a fool punishes his children in anger. Then the lesson taught is fear and anger, and nothing else. You can take my word on it if you didn't grow up that way, or you can figure it out the hard way on your own. But whatever your kids turn out as, don't blame or congratulate them, congratulate or blame yourself.

The kid may have been wrong, but now the father is more wrong because he should have known better.

For instance, a better tact would have been to lock her computer so she could only visit a limited handful of sites. If she acts like a child but is nearly an adult, treat her as a child and she'll aspire to be an adult. It isn't that hard, come on, you have what, a 20 year jump on her?

Also, what he did can be defined as domestic violence in some states. He destroyed property (doesn't matter if it is his) in anger regarding another family member. His grandkids will see this too, and no matter how nice gramps is, this will always be at the back of their minds.

Remember when the pictures and video of your family that you showed off were the good times? That those were the memories you wanted to capture to live on?

News said this afternoon the guy got visited by DSS but they didn't find anything to mess with him on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StrykerSDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the father is worse than the kid. At least she has an excuse: she's a kid and they all rebel at that age. It isn't anything new FFS. He could have approached that a 100 different ways but he took the childish approach and it is obvious he did it in anger.

Only a fool punishes his children in anger. Then the lesson taught is fear and anger, and nothing else. You can take my word on it if you didn't grow up that way, or you can figure it out the hard way on your own. But whatever your kids turn out as, don't blame or congratulate them, congratulate or blame yourself.

The kid may have been wrong, but now the father is more wrong because he should have known better.

For instance, a better tact would have been to lock her computer so she could only visit a limited handful of sites. If she acts like a child but is nearly an adult, treat her as a child and she'll aspire to be an adult. It isn't that hard, come on, you have what, a 20 year jump on her?

Also, what he did can be defined as domestic violence in some states. He destroyed property (doesn't matter if it is his) in anger regarding another family member. His grandkids will see this too, and no matter how nice gramps is, this will always be at the back of their minds.

Remember when the pictures and video of your family that you showed off were the good times? That those were the memories you wanted to capture to live on? </div></div>

Well said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REELDOC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">News said this afternoon the guy got visited by DSS but they didn't find anything to mess with him on. </div></div>

And they certainly would have, if there was.......

Having watched the video, I think think the "anger" aspect is a bit of a stretch. The bottom line is that a firearm was used. That is why this is a topic here and this is why it became the internet entity it is. IMO, the means is of no real debate, it is purely in method and this involved a firearm.

Plenty of game-boys and other electronics have gone out car windows, thrown in trash, or even broken/smashed. Setting aside the firearm aspect in this case for parental analysis is rather silly, especially considering the diversity and zero parenting present in society. Heck, I know plenty of kids growing up that were well beaten.

I am not rallying for this guy. It is another public blow painting a ill picture of American "gun culture". This seems a byproduct of over-the-top reality TV reaction. Leave the firearms out of the equation. Simple as that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jericho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StrykerSDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the father is worse than the kid. At least she has an excuse: she's a kid and they all rebel at that age. It isn't anything new FFS. He could have approached that a 100 different ways but he took the childish approach and it is obvious he did it in anger.

Remember when the pictures and video of your family that you showed off were the good times? That those were the memories you wanted to capture to live on? </div></div>

Well said. </div></div>

Y'all saw anger?

Really?

I saw pissed, I saw a final straw, I saw a permanent consequence for an action that was done once before only three months prior and warned against again...but I didn't see "anger" in the context you are obviously trying to imply.

Your whole train of thought is precisely why we have prisons full of really bad criminals these days instead of hanging the ones that deserve it.......

Oh, and for the douches that whine about him shooting his .45 with "cars and buildings in the background", he turned what appears to be nearly 90 degrees away from the direction of those "cars and buildings". Situational awareness people, he's in a damn field, or at least one big ass backyard!

I'm the LAST guy who would condone the unsafe discharge of a firearm, but do yourselves a big favor and take a LONG HARD look at a few things like the fucking shot angle....it doesn't take much of a genious to KNOW exactly where those rounds stopped. He had the whole entire planet as a backstop.

Crybaby bullshit about shooting a gun, and on a shooting site no less...........

Couple of comments.

What kind of idiot calls the police on this guy from another state? The question kinda answers itself, but jeez why do whe have to share the planet with these limp wrists. Why are we all tattletales?

I find it kind of funny the "outrage" this generated. Why? The man did not do anything illegal. Maybe it was in poor taste. The man should be tried and convicted and jailed, for "the murder of a laptop".

I found the news coverage hilarious, especially the reporter trying to work up the balls to knock on the door. He looks like he's about to bolt.

From what I heard on Lars Larson tonight, the cops that came out to talk to him told him what a good job they thought he did, and that they made all their children watch it.

Yet another bunch of scribes with the "ex-Marine" crap.