• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Father's Day Vintage Rifle Shooting

Desert_Racer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
USA
Good evening gents. I thought I would share some photos from our outing today for Father's Day. We took out my M1917 Eddystone, 03A3, and Swedish M38 (amongst a few others that weren't vintage rifles). Enjoy:

Last edited:

And finally, the victory shot:

My dad has been battling cancer for the past year and a half. Just two weeks ago the doctor gave him 6 months, so naturally our family has been having a hard time coping. My wife and I came home on leave to spend as much time with my dad as we could. It was very good that we got him out of the house today as sitting around at the house feeds the dark cloud hovering over my family. This could be the last Father's Day I get to have with him, so I wanted to make it count. He had a wonderful time and was smiling all day, so I count that as a victory that this cancer cannot take from us. Do yourselves a favor and tell your old man you love him; he won't be here forever.

Dang. I hate to hear it. I'm glad to hear you had the ability to share this time with him. If it's not too late,(back on the airbus) give him a hug for me! Looks like you guys had a great time;-) I deeply regret that my parents waited too long to tell me my Dad had it. He loved golf and I wish we could have played a final round.

FWIW, get these pics on paper. You will cherish them;-)

FWIW, get these pics on paper. You will cherish them;-)

No truer words have been spoken. My favorite picture of my granddad and I was from hunting when I was a kid. I've got it framed in my office. He passed just nearly a year ago. Cherish these times with your family and never leave anything unsaid. I new I had a relatively good time when my grandfather passed because I'd spent the last year telling him how much he meant to me and how he had positively impacted my life.

CSAR FE

1st post, 7th pic down...I'm not seein' a rifle:D;)

Great you had an awesome day! I love getting out and shooting with dad. He'd never shot an AR until he shot mine. It's tough to get him out. He had a double hip replacement a couple years ago and hasn't been shifting it into gear all that well.

my father was gone well before I became REALLY interested in rifles, by the way the same rifles the man was trained to shoot_ the man was my first shootin'teacher, when I was five or six years_ Today I have the rifles, the time, but I lack the opportunity to share them with him_ Enjoy your rifles AND your shootin'dad !

Well done! Remember these days.

mj015_zpsb4eda318.jpg

Thanks boys. It definitely brings back a lot of memories when we go out. Dad was the one who taught me how to shoot with a Marlin .22LR and a Winchester 30-30 when I was very young. Its great to bring it back full circle, except now-a-days I teach him a thing or two :). He wants to go back out again later this week. I'm glad I could give him something to look forward to this week.

Shooting is definitely one of those sports that facilitates camaraderie and good times.

Great pics of your precious time with your father. Sorry to read about his illness...you and yours are in our prayers. Thanks for sharing the photos of the cool rifles! :)

Fathers Day

CSAR Fe - Prayers for your Dad and the family. That is tough. My Dad first taught me to shoot rifles, and pistols when I was 8yrs old. Bought me a 22 rifle when I was 10 and taught me to hunt starting that year. He also saw to it that I took the NRA Hunter safety course three times over the next few years. Once with the local Fish & Game Club, once with the BSA and once at a conservation camp. Every year we would hunt squirrels and he would teach me where they were and show me trees that he had killed squirrels in on our farm. My Grandpa also took me hunting and our neighbor, an old Korean War Marine Sniper was in the woods with us and delighted in seeking up on us. He moved thru the woods silently and never missed a shot. He taught me stealth and how to live off the land. By the time I was 12, I was allowed to hunt and target shoot or just go plinking for fun alone or with my cousins who were about the same age. We prowled the woods near home like wild indians. In the fall of the year it was common for the boys in my school to get up at daylight and hunt thru the hills to school and at 8am just before the 1st bell, we would all stroll into class with our shotguns and rifles in our hand and our squirrels on our belt. The teachers only words would be, "Now boys, make sure all them guns is unloaded and put away in the corner and hang them squirrels on the pegs up high where the hound dogs won't get em." Times have changed :confused:

I credit my Dad for teaching me the love of nature and hunting and introducing me to firearms. He passed 17yrs ago from brain cancer. I still treasure his Colt 1911 45acp that I helped him pick out when he was still healthy. I never shoot it as it is in mint condition and I have lots of other handguns. That one is special. I also have my Great Grand Dad's shotgun which I used to kill my first squirrel and my Grandpas's shotgun which I used for years after. None of them are worth much but I would not trade them for gold. My son and I did some spring squirrel hunting on Father's Day and finished up with a big BBQ lunch afterwards. It was a good day. He got his first squirrel last year and his first deer last year. We try to hunt prairie dogs when we can. He is a good marksman and a confident pistol shooter with 357 and 45acp.

Irish

Last edited: