• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fattest Bull Barrel You Have Ever Seen?

sln4tra

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2012
Oregon
I just came across a Dalphon B.F.D. that has a custom bull upper and I have never seen one so thick! I will post a picture tomorrow but it has to be over an inch in diameter!

1) Have you seen any like this?

2) At what point does a bull barrel become, too bull?

Re: Fattest Bull Barrel You Have Ever Seen?

I saw a 6mm bench rifle one time at gun show that was over a inch and half in diameter at muzzle. Was crazy heavy. But he liked it.

That's insane! Wouldn't be for carrying around, that's for sure.

The barrel on my LR-308 has a 0.92" diameter. However, I saw a benchrest bolt gun at an optics shop here in Houston a couple of weeks ago with a barrel easily 2x in diameter.

Typically, the barrel is the heaviest single component in a rifle, and the easiest component to use to affect the weight of a rifle. Bench rest rifles can weight 50 lbs or more, so in that sport I don't think that there is such a point as "too bull." However, I am not a bench rest shooter and a rifle that I won't carry in the field is "too bull" regardless of where the weight is distributed. My LR-308 weighs 13.6 lbs and I think that 15 lbs may be my personal pain point for "too bull to lug around."

What about this one: 1.250 at the muzzle, 19 inch long.

Mann%20in%20stock.JPG

Crown.jpg

Chamber%20Markings.jpg

You can actually cause weird functioning problems in an AR platform by going too heavy on overall gun weight, but this usually doesn't show up until you get in the 17-18+ lb. weight area.

Helped chamber a barrel for a heavy class bench gun before going to work that was crazy. 7RUM 36" 2.25 inch. We had to grind the OD down to 2.250 exactly to fit into a barrel block. Have no idea how it shoots but can't imagine it having much recoil.

i tried making a mosin-nagant rechambered to 500 S&W, i was going to use the blank, just turned down enough to be clean. it was a diameter of 1.890! yeah, the rifle weighed so much that the two mounting bolts sheared off and the whole thing shit the bed. oh well, that's why i experimented with a Mosin! they're disposable!!!

The record for tactical rifle actually used has to be the 36 pound bull barrel Confederate sniper rifle recovered at Gettysburg. My picture memory recalls a 2 inch plus diameter.

Its on display in the museum. Cant imagine humping that beast on a 90 degree day in a wool uniform.

Hopefully they just sat in the shade! You wouldn't really want to move to much with that haha. Dang.

That would have been one helluva heavy barrel, but it wouldn't have technically been a Bull barrel; they didn't "exist" before the late 1870s to early 1880s.

Yeah, there's a history there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The record for tactical rifle actually used has to be the 36 pound bull barrel Confederate sniper rifle recovered at Gettysburg. My picture memory recalls a 2 inch plus diameter.

Its on display in the museum. Cant imagine humping that beast on a 90 degree day in a wool uniform. </div></div>

http://www.cfspress.com/sharpshooters/arms.html

1162-RifleTargetMorganJames-2.jpg

"For sniping duties the Federals fielded a wide variety of civilian target rifles, most of which were heavy and not very mobile. One soldier, reviewing the sharpshooter's weapons in his unit, observed that "each rifle has a telescope running the entire length of the barrel. The average weight is about 35 lbs., the lightest weighing 17 lbs. and heaviest 50 lbs." This Morgan James rifle, typical of the breed, belonged to the Corps of Cadets at West Point."

Didn't DPMS have a Super Bull Model with 1.15 or 1.25 diameter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about this one: 1.250 at the muzzle, 19 inch long.

Mann%20in%20stock.JPG

Crown.jpg

Chamber%20Markings.jpg
</div></div>

WOW!!!! I hope that was test platform and not made for hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW!!!! I hope that was test platform and not made for hunting.</div></div>

It's a Mann Accuracy Device. What the Army uses to test ammo.

Its not suppose to have a stock or scope. It sets in a craddle to allow it to fall back into position after being fired remotely.

I just put it in that stock to play with until I get my craddle built.

Here is a picture of an older Mann Device being used.

case_71_Mann_barrel_shooting8x10JPE.jpg

It is supper accurate.

Interesting!!! So what are you planing to use it for?

CMP sells Mann Accuracy Devices built off the 1903 action. There is a ddicated forum in the CMP Bolt Action section. Some members have built yhem into rifles and compete with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about this one: 1.250 at the muzzle, 19 inch long.

Mann%20in%20stock.JPG

Crown.jpg

Chamber%20Markings.jpg
</div></div>

whats that thing weigh?

Old single shots have some ridiculously fat barrels quite often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what are you planing to use it for?</div></div>

Probably for what it was designed for. Build a vice or cradle, leave the barreled action un-modified.

Just something to be different. However I have twequed my White Oak AR loads.

Also use it to set up seating dies. Its a tight chamber, I found out about 1/3 pieces of New Winchester brass wont chamber in the Mann chamber. I had to run it through a SB die first. That alone made my White Oak ammo a bit better.

Gonna get one of the Springfield 308 devices also. Suckers are fun to play with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW!!!! I hope that was test platform and not made for hunting.</div></div>

It's a Mann Accuracy Device. What the Army uses to test ammo.

Its not suppose to have a stock or scope. It sets in a craddle to allow it to fall back into position after being fired remotely.

I just put it in that stock to play with until I get my craddle built.

Here is a picture of an older Mann Device being used.

case_71_Mann_barrel_shooting8x10JPE.jpg

It is supper accurate. </div></div>
Early version of the modern "Rail Gun"
http://mac.uptime.org/mpr/railguns.htm

Gstaylorg leads by three lengths rounding the turn.
At a gunsmiths this week and he wildcats various shit, so he showed me a quick gun he threw together. Had a weatherby action I think and he screwed a 16" x2" tube on it for fire forming brass he was using in a semi-auto. 45 caliber rifle like a .458 socom. It had a black vertical pistol grip stock of his design also. The whole thing was too heavy and over the top, but Proportioned so perfectly I just wanted it on the spot. Sexy little brute. Not too bull in this case.