• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite 16" 308 AR Hunting Load?

jda2631

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
I'm working on a new "AR10" (Can we just go ahead and call all 308 AR's AR10's for simplicity sake or will I get flamed?). It will be with a 16" barrel and used as an all around hunting rifle inside 2-300 yards. Mostly deer and hogs. Anyone else running a 16" AR10 in 308? What's your favorite hunting load? What velocity are you getting?

Following. Also running a 16" AR10, have been testing out different rounds for functionality. Don't have any numbers on velocities or experience with it being out in the field taking a deer or hog yet!

Following. Also running a 16" AR10, have been testing out different rounds for functionality. Don't have any numbers on velocities or experience with it being out in the field taking a deer or hog yet!

What has been the most accurate load that you have tested so far?

Anybody mess with the 165 SST in a 16"?

I have used 150 SST's in an 18" AR and 18" Ruger American, both 308. I forget the speed, but it was around 2700 with max charge of varget i think. Those things are like grenades when they hit. So much damage, so quickly. They don't penetrate very far, just blow up. They worked fine for white tails, but I'm going to find a new bullet, something with a little more penetration and less destruction.

My dad shot a smaller doe with one, it put a grapefruit sized hole in her, but didn't exit.

I have used 150 SST's in an 18" AR and 18" Ruger American, both 308. I forget the speed, but it was around 2700 with max charge of varget i think. Those things are like grenades when they hit. So much damage, so quickly. They don't penetrate very far, just blow up. They worked fine for white tails, but I'm going to find a new bullet, something with a little more penetration and less destruction.

My dad shot a smaller doe with one, it put a grapefruit sized hole in her, but didn't exit.

I forgot about the 150 SST. I need to grab a box of them and the 165 and see what I can get. I'll play around with some quick load. I have some AR Comp I want to try.

I have a 16” 308 bolt gun that has shot 150 Hornady SP to the same accuracy as match bullets. Devastating on deer, always exit, and don’t “blow up” like a tipped bullet. I get ab 2740 FPS in my Rifle. I would give those a look.