• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Favorite 1911 Lube

cornhusker86

C Co. 3/63 2nd. Bgd.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 20, 2012
    Red Michigan
    After a few decades of using break-free I switched to militec a couple years ago. So far I'm happy with it as a lube. As far as the " metal conditioning " claim, I don't know if it's just marketing or legit. What do you guys use and why? Am I missing the boat on better options?

Light,very light coat of Aeroshell on the rails, and whatever gun oil I have laying around.
    Also depends on the weather IE winter summer

Main thing is to just maintain it periodically.

Reactions: cornhusker86
    I use SLIP 2000 oil everything including my duck guns. I hunt saltwater and that shits hard on your guns. I also grease the rails on all my pistols.

TW-25B has been gtg for me. I use grease as I do not like oil leaking on my clothes when I'm carrying.

Super Lube - Synthetic Grease --- That I put on the rails and locking points --- plus --- semisynthetic motor oil on the rest.

My experience has shown that the 1911's I own seem to be most reliable when they are well lubricated and have strong recoil springs, and good magazines in them. When those three things are all in order, I rarely have any gun related malfunctions. Ammunition and operator errors can't be held against the pistol.

For lube, I mix up synthetic motor oil with synthetic transmission fluid. If I want a thicker lubricant, I an add some synthetic grease to the mixture.

I had read about mixing synthetic motor oil and transmission fluid, and the more I thought about using them, the more sense it made. Both motor oil and transmission fluid are designed to operate under high heat and lots of pressure, so it makes sense that it would also work well in a firearm.

Militec-1. Plenty of it and be done. :) used it the first time in Iraq 2005 and never looked back. Both the oil and grease. Works superbly on my mill lube points as well.

Reactions: cornhusker86
    I’m no comp handgun shooter but Mobil 1 5w30 is what I’ve been using on my 1911’s for years and never had any lube or excessive wear issues

Super Lube synthetic on anything that slides or rubs. Mobil-1 on anything else. Same thing on my ARs. The Mobil-1 on the AR bolt seems to run without much carbon buildup.

I got some Mobil SAE 30 "Garden Oil" (meant for lawn mowers and such). Works fine for me. Haven't tried it in freezing temps, though.

Slide Glide by Brian Enos- I use it on all of my slides, bolts, and dillon 1050 shellplates.

Mobil 1 5 20w on 1911s and ar's. When my glocks get dirty I buy new ones.
    Am looking to try the militec tho...

• Haha
    Reactions: 65Bowite
    Looking forward to one with .223 bolt face.
    Guys, this was just a refinished police trade-in P7 in a pretty box that didn't belong to it. Nothing special. It's been shot, probably quite a bit, and refinished. There's a thread about it over on HKpro (that I won't link to because I'm not sure that it's kosher to do so). I hope it wasn't one of you guys who overpaid.
    My experience has shown that the 1911's I own seem to be most reliable when they are well lubricated and have strong recoil springs, and good magazines in them. When those three things are all in order, I rarely have any gun related malfunctions. Ammunition and operator errors can't be held against the pistol.

For lube, I mix up synthetic motor oil with synthetic transmission fluid. If I want a thicker lubricant, I an add some synthetic grease to the mixture.

I had read about mixing synthetic motor oil and transmission fluid, and the more I thought about using them, the more sense it made. Both motor oil and transmission fluid are designed to operate under high heat and lots of pressure, so it makes sense that it would also work well in a firearm.
    I’m no comp handgun shooter but Mobil 1 5w30 is what I’ve been using on my 1911’s for years and never had any lube or excessive wear issues
    Mobil 1 5 20w on 1911s and ar's. When my glocks get dirty I buy new ones.
    Am looking to try the militec tho...

I have a jar that I keep on the bench, after I've changed oil in any of hte vehicles at home (they all run 10W30) with Mobil1 full synthetic, I drain the dribbles of the oil containers into the jar. In the 15ish years I've been doing this, never have I needed to buy actual oil for my pistols. I've bought a bunch to try on various shotguns and rifles, and the one that I've been using recently is the stuff from Geissele.

Jerry

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    specific "gun lube" should be ranked somewhere in a list of the worlds biggest bullshit products invented
    as a cure for a disease that doesn't exist.

motor oil. end of story