• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Bore Guide

xXlojackXx

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2011
    Washington state
    Just finished up my new .338 and need a new bore guide. Was just curious if anyone has a favorite bore guide for cleaning, or if they're all pretty much the same? Thanks for your opinions.

Unless you have an oddball action, a Possum Hollow bore guide will suit you just fine.
    I have had both and cannot tell any difference between my $60 Lucas guide or my $20 Possum Hollow. Sure, the Lucas has the nifty rod guide insert thingy, but it isn't like the Possum Hollow guide is inferior or will protect your bore less. If you shoot bench rest and clean your barrel every few shots....sure....that extra peace of mind that the Lucas offers is worth it. If you are like me and clean your barrel every 200 rounds or so, a bore guide is not something used very often.

That being said, Lucas is about my only reasonably priced choice for my AI AE that I know of.

Am I missing anything by using my own DIY bore guide? I just cut the base off a spent case, and epoxied an aluminum tube in it. I used a silicone cylinder to properly space it in the rear of the action.

I have three Lucas and think they are the best.
    I have one Possum Hollow and i should have bought a Lucas instead.

I'd never heard of Lucas before. The look pretty cool. More complex than the dewey guide that I use.

I'd never heard of Lucas before. The look pretty cool. More complex than the dewey guide that I use.

Mike's guides are calibre and action specific and feature a sleeve that fits over your rod to minimize movement in the bore - also specific to the rod you use.

An added bonus is that he is a great bloke to deal with. Always gives a shipment date and has never once let me down.

Buy with confidence!!

Last edited:
    lucas or lucas. i have used them all(i used to be a cleaning nut)and the first time i used it i literally took a hand full of the other ones
    and tossed them in the trash.it just plan works better at keeping the rod running true even if your patch is tight.
    you will forget the cost the first time you use it.