• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Favorite COF/ Stages

lukejr985

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, whats everyones favorite COF or stages from matches that you have been to? Can also include stages that you would like to see more of.

Personally this weekends COF at the MPA summer shootout at Arena Training Facility was one of the best complete COF's that Ive shot in my short competitive career. It had enough "easy, medium, and hard" stages throughout and were distributed well over the course of two days.

Lets hear em!

i generally like anything with no more than 2-3 shots per target, before either a position movement or target movement

here lately, ive been liking typical stages but with racks in a hit to move fashion that arent prone...we've done them off of rocks and this month its from multiple positions from a rooftop...idea is to reward the more accurate shooters, but the larger targets give the newer shooters bigger targets to hit also

i also like large span hit to move troop stuff...targets from 300 to 1k+ and its 1-2 impacts hit to move...again makes for some easier stuff to hit for newer guys, but the better shooters can advance and score more

i usually hate anything that erases points...ive seen too many times on a miss and restart type stage where a guy misses the smallest target and starts back over and scores a 1 cause of time expiring...and another shooter misses the biggest target 8x and then hits with 9 and quits...they score the same, but really who was the better shooter on the stage...i like the stages to score in relation to who actually shot it best, not who gambled right and got lucky at the right time or 1 missed shot on the smallest target in the entire match, crushes a guys whole stage score...so a guys misses the 1/2 moa target and scores a 0 on a kyl stage, but everyone misses 66% ipsc's on other stages with no negatives...i get the gambling/knowing when to stop part, just not a fan of it personally...ive been on both ends of it, i dont like it either way lol

Last edited:
I actually like longer format stages - ones that require semi-long movements, having to locate targets on the clock, etc. The old 'Grind it Out' stages like K&M used to run, the Trail of Tears stage from Steel City when it was at Brocks Gap, etc. I'd love to run a match where day 1 was ~12 typical PRS/NRL stages, and day 2 was 2-3 long format stages of 15-20 rounds over about 5 minutes time as you moved from one station to the next, and engaged a small number of targets at each station.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
I really enjoy what we call dialing for days. It usually starts with targets around 400 out to 100. You shoot the closest target, then the farther target, and continue to swap between close and far, until you meet in the middle. You can really get lost in the targets and dialing if you zoom in too much.

That being said my last favorite was a single target, we had to shoot one shot, and move to another position, for a total of 10 positions. That was really fun having to constantly move like that. I sucked at it but it was fun, and that's why I shoot this sport.

That being said my last favorite was a single target, we had to shoot one shot, and move to another position, for a total of 10 positions. That was really fun having to constantly move like that. I sucked at it but it was fun, and that's why I shoot this sport.

Stages like that are all about time and gear management combined with effecient position building.

Reactions: The Durk
I love shooting spinners. One of my favorite spinner stages involved shooting a KYL rack first and then engaging the spinner with remaining rounds. Targets were at 300 yards.

I'm in the other camp - spinners suck.
I've gotten pretty good at them since we do them in our club matches a lot, so I have fun with them. I used to shoot a 308, which made it a lot easier, but now with my new gun (6BR) I don't have as much margin for error.

I've gotten pretty good at them since we do them in our club matches a lot, so I have fun with them. I used to shoot a 308, which made it a lot easier, but now with my new gun (6BR) I don't have as much margin for error.

Energy on target is one of the issues I have with them, but it's also a pretty silly/gamey/unrealistic target, it's difficult as shit to time once you get them going, etc. I've seen stages with a spinner and a hidden target behind it, and those can be interesting at a close enough distance to really get the spinner moving, but even then I don't really care for them.

Reactions: Justin30hate
Energy on target is one of the issues I have with them, but it's also a pretty silly/gamey/unrealistic target, it's difficult as shit to time once you get them going, etc. I've seen stages with a spinner and a hidden target behind it, and those can be interesting at a close enough distance to really get the spinner moving, but even then I don't really care for them.
I hear ya. It is not a very "practical" target. It probably doesn't translate well to real world applications.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
The idea of making a decision on the clock appeals to me. Im a huge fan of all or nothing stages. Risk of losing points is the determining factor. You get a 1:45 to determine if you have the capability of hitting the smaller target or not.

Reactions: lukejr985
I'm a big fan of field style matches with targets on the smaller side of the scale.

Though typically I really don't care as long as theres no ridiculously stupid prop to shoot off of like a turkey chair on a floating platform with paracord for a rifle rest. I'm with Mo on loose points stages and really ones that allow you to double points. I feel like advantages on those are more about luck of the draw as to when you shoot them time of the day wise.

I had a real fun stage this weekend, where we had 5 windows inside a shipping container. It was a shoot 2 rounds and then move type of stage, with a large target and a small target. Miss the first, re engage the first. After two shots you had to move to a different window, but you can reuse any of the windows after you moved to the next position. Some shooters decided to run at opposite ends to get prone shots, others like me ran between the tallest window and prone the entire time. I managed a 8/10. THAT was fun, and got the blood pumping.

Something I didn't think of, is you needed to find the target each time, because you were behind a wall, so that caused some shooters to completely miss where the target was, once they moved to the next position.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I really don't care as long as theres no ridiculously stupid prop to shoot off of like a turkey chair on a floating platform with paracord for a rifle rest.

But this is PMS shooting! :p

Mo Dangerous = Mo Better

PMS Joke.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: The Durk
I liked the stages that were set up with multiple “cues” and you didnt know which one you were going to draw, or in which order. It combined KIM, heartbreaker, with position building. Target cards were placed face-down on a table behind the shooter which forced you to leave the rifle, move back to the table, turn over a card, return to rifle and engage. Each target was engaged up to two rounds, with up to 8 rounds total for a total of 8 points possible (first round hits) in 90 sec. It was a bit complicated to explain, but was a hoot to shoot, so ill try to describe it. There were four targets placed in a wide array as such:
Green square @340 yards
Red Diamond @426 yards
Blue circle @570 yards
Orange IPSC @660 yards

Your card had only a single clue. I drew these card:
Red
Diamond
IPSC
Orange
Circle
Green
Tough, but a lot of fun !!!!

I enjoyed the enfilade stage at the Nebraska NRL match. You had to mil the offset between the target and reference target.

When you went prone you could only see the reference target and had to dial the offset in and engage the real target by aiming at the reference. Was pretty cool!

Reactions: FishDr