• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Favorite folding knife.

Win70chris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2008
Dallas, TX
I have carried a Spyderco Endura serated for 20 years and think it may be time for something else. Any good suggestions will be great. I was looking at Microtech or Emerson. Thanks.

Re: Favorite folding knife.

Cold steel folder with 1/2 serrated blade with tanto point. Not as $$$ as some but decent blades and strong as hell.

I've carried a Benchmade Emerson for the last 13yrs. I'm not even sure if they still make it but it's a tanto style 1/2 serrated 3".

I've been well served by my Benchmade 530 and Mini-Dejavoo.

I have more knives than I can count. I carry many but my primary everyday carry knife is the cold steel folder.

I've carried a Benchmade AFO for the past 7 years. It's been a great tool. I sent it in a few weeks ago using their lifesharp program and they put a nice factory edge back on it, gave it a good cleaning and replaced all the springs and pins. That's great customer service!

I have a made in US Kershaw G10 scaled ATS34 bladed folder that I carry every day.
Bombproof and holds a really nice edge at 20* angle.
Super nice and unreal sharp.

I also have a nice Puma General(yea, old school) that is probably 30 years old and unusued
smile.gif

If the Kershaw ever lets me down the Puma is the go to blade.

I have hundreds of knives, those are the only folders that I would consider recommending....they are that good.

I have a gerber emerson that I realy like, I have had it for about 3 years and its tougher than baked owl shit. I dont know if you can have auto's in TX but its a nice one if you can

Benchmade Rukus Serrated Full size. Comfortable grip, smooth opening, great lock mechanism, holds a good edge.
Used for every day, camp, skin that critter, what ever..

I would like an AFO but cant here in TX.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griff01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've carried a Benchmade AFO for the past 7 years. It's been a great tool. I sent it in a few weeks ago using their lifesharp program and they put a nice factory edge back on it, gave it a good cleaning and replaced all the springs and pins. That's great customer service!</div></div>

This will sound ill but from day-to-day carry: the S&W liner-lock "SWAT" or some BS. Around a mere $35 for the ones I had bought. I see them now through the knife mags for $10 each (I assume they are still made the same). The blade steel isn't optimal but good and tough. Hack metal, pry electrical boxes and salvage car hoods, scrape out roofing flashing, cut copper electrical wire, cut and face sheet rock edge, be a cardboard recycleable greenie, forfeit it to enter Vegas club or AP security, borrow it out, throw it at curious black bears, tumble it dry, get the jimmy into your car door, look for rock fossils, remove screws, chamfer aluminum holes, split deer pelvis, clean MIG welder cups, be a drunk-ass putting a edge back on, and generally beat the shit out of it with little concern and with a nice grin in the process. The knife is fast & reliable and the handle tactile & comfortable. The little rubber BS doesn't even fall out of the handle. The coating is even better then other folders I have (ex: Benchmade Black) and the blade bearning to handle better then the Kershaw I have.
I have some nice higher-dollar knives, I've grown fond of those cheap-ass folders. More often the knife isn't being used as a knife and I like that I consider it a expendable tool with no ill emotional or real $ value.

I'd suggest sticking with the Endura, possibly upgrading to a Endura 4 the latest variant. They also offer the Endura with the Emerson wave.

I switch it around from BM to Kershaws. Lately I have been carrying a BM 760LFTi. Titanium handle with a M4 steel tanto blade.

I think my next knife is going to be a waved Emerson. CQC10 anyone?

Collecting wise my Cleston Sinyard Damascus folder, frame blade everythings damascus.
EDC wise, my GenII Strider SnG

my unit issued me this applegate 3 years ago
gerber_applegate_combat_fo.jpg

its still going stong, i think i've used it for everything the manual said not to and it still holds an edge. these go for around 89$

I just ordered this off amazon.com and i friking love it. its the M21-14G, paid about 50$ for it
m2114g2382resizekt0.jpg

it is one of the sharpest knives i've ever owned. great grip, looks good, and seems to be tough as nails.

just my .02

good luck on your quest

The CRKT's look great but I was concerned they may not be very good as they are inexpensive. That is a bad ass looking for sure.

I have carried a Spyderco Para Military with G10 handle for a couple of years now and really like it.
Last year I got a Blackhawk Mark II for my birthday and although it seems very rugged I think is a little big for a pocket knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: win70chris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The CRKT's look great but I was concerned they may not be very good as they are inexpensive. That is a bad ass looking for sure. </div></div>

I have carried my on duty for three years. Never had any issues with it, despite the reasonable cost.

Does the liner lock on the CRKT hold up well? I have had bad luck with liner locks failing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barnes12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chris Reeve Sebenza</div></div>

+1. Ive had mine modified though to better fit my hand.

Home Depot pocket knife with the replaceable box blades fucking rock, always sharp, if not RR the blade, best 10 bucks I ever spent on a knife.

Ain't <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">that</span></span> the truth. Even bought one for my wife.

Oh, wait! Mine came from Lowe's, made by Kobalt.

Anyway, they rock.

A benchmade emerson ats-34 that has seen some serious abuse. most of the finish is gone but it still holds a great edge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Home Depot pocket knife with the replaceable box blades fucking rock, always sharp, if not RR the blade, best 10 bucks I ever spent on a knife. </div></div>

+1

i had a sog knife that was awesome.
i lost it some where, but it had to be my favorite knife.
crazy sharp and stayed sharp through skinning and boneing out a mule deer.

I tend to go with a Spyderco Native. I like the size, light and goes with me everywhere/
JMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: win70chris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the liner lock on the CRKT hold up well? I have had bad luck with liner locks failing. </div></div>

I think they are pretty sturdy and lock up tighter than a drum. All I buy are CRKT's now for EDC. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: win70chris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the liner lock on the CRKT hold up well? I have had bad luck with liner locks failing. </div></div>

I think they are pretty sturdy and lock up tighter than a drum. All I buy are CRKT's now for EDC. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. </div></div>

Does the liner lock on the CRKT hold up well? Yes

+1 for what Mcm308 posted.

I had started as a Spyderco guy since I had gotten into my profession, because peer pressure is a bitch when you're a rookie. I moved to Benchmade and Cold Steel. A buddy of mine from work had gotten a CRKT while deployed in Afghanistan and sang it's praises upon returning from duty. I gave it a try and have since been pleased.

I have a couple of CRKT Crawford Kasper folders, which are excellent.

I learned from a buddy of mine to disassemble them, and use a Dremel tool to grind off the liner lock so that none of it sticks up from the sides.

That makes it harder to release the lock intentionally, which doesn't matter, and much harder or impossible to release the lock by gripping the knife.

My buddy learned that the hard way, and I benefitted from his experience. It's good advice with any liner lock. If your hand contacts the lock when you grip the knife, your fingers are at risk.

Favorite? Hmmm...

I have a couple of commercial emersons, a large sebby, and an SMF that I carry around - mostly the sebby and the smf. The sebby and esp the smf have been used as skewdrivers, punches (with hammers behind them), prys / wedges, a hammer and of course a knife. The sebby is thin and smooth and therefore rides nicely in any pair of pants and esp in the waistband next to the skin. The smf is stupid big (get the sng) but it makes for a fantastic pry bar - more than once I have had reason to put the folded knife in between two objects and either kick it or use something to whack the shit out of it. I have done the same - but carefully - with it unfolded). It is big enough that you can easily make kindling by beating on the spine with a rock to drive it through the limb. For some reason I am not able to get it as sharp as the sebby but it stays 'sharp enough' for a long time.

The emerson commercials are way way overrated. The 'Wave' is a cool trick, but 1,000 / 1,000 it isn't as fast as a fixed; it also doesn't catch the same in every garment. In general I wouldn't ever abuse these like the other two. In fact I am pretty sure that if I put one in between the bed and the tail gate and smashed it, it would bend the shit out of the body and snap an open blade. However I am pretty sure the sebby would be fine if closed and the only thing I would be concerned about on the smf is the g10, the other side would laugh at this. Open blades - bet the smf makes it if not on the tip.

One of the best EDC folders I have handled is a Benchmade Mel Pardue with an axis lock. I am not a big fan of liners in general and like frame locks but the axis is very good as well - IMHO.

Good luck

Been carrying a Kershaw Boa for about 5 years now, if it ever breaks I think I would check out a Benchmade or CRKT..but this Kershaw is still going strong.

I have a benchmade griptilian and a cold steal recon.
Both are top notch but when it comes to strength I have to give it to the cold steel. Built like a damn tank and they warranty their folders for life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
img0534e.jpg

Reese Weiland Karambit/Damascus Steel/Folder </div></div>

is it right that i lust after this knife? ive got a old opinel that has never let me down, carbon steel blade that takes a wicked edge and holds it fairly decently (easy to sharpen)

may buy a sebanza or a spyderco military this month, to accompany me to a jungle trip in guyana next month (the opinel stays home)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yuna knives...</div></div>

That's a new brand to me.... I liked alot of what they show on their website.

zero tolerance knives, besides microtech they are the toughest most long lasting and economical knives on the market. They kep an edge like no tomorrow, and have a spring assisted opening thats quick as an automatic. Check them out.

Kershaw 1050 folder. It actually feels like a knife in your hand.
Also have a 1635 mini cyclone which I just love.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple of CRKT Crawford Kasper folders, which are excellent.

I learned from a buddy of mine to disassemble them, and use a Dremel tool to grind off the liner lock so that none of it sticks up from the sides.

That makes it harder to release the lock intentionally, which doesn't matter, and much harder or impossible to release the lock by gripping the knife.

My buddy learned that the hard way, and I benefitted from his experience. It's good advice with any liner lock. If your hand contacts the lock when you grip the knife, your fingers are at risk.
</div></div>

My CRKT's have the LAWKS and auto LAWKS locking mechanisms. This system locks the liner in the locked/open position and it cannot be closed with out disengaging the LAWKS 1st. Can read about it halfway down the page on this link.

http://www.crkt.com/knifeinnovations

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my mini griptilian </div></div>

I love mine as well. I have carried it almost everyday for 4 years. Not that big but when someone asks if I have a pocket knife and I pull it out I always get the "holy shit.." reaction.

Ive carried a microtech socom for several years now and love it. Perfect size and its pretty slim in the pocket. It's a manual and legal here. It gets sharper and holds an edge better than any of my benchmades.