• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Favorite fresh water fishing lure

rulellis

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2018
It’s always interesting when I fish with someone new to see what they use that I’ve never considered. That said what’s your favorite bait/lure for fresh water? And what color?

Right now my go to is super fluke in watermelon red flake or watermelon red pearl.

Reactions: 338dude
For trout, a small crappie tube jig in pumpkin seed or whatever closet matches the bottom of the lakes color, tipped with a trout worm in red, mimics a saun Jaun worm and also a Thomas buoyant spoon lure are killer most places, and don’t ever discount a nightcrawer with a marshmallow in a lake or salmon eggs on a mosquito hook in a small stream, all lethal in the right circumstances. For striper a drop shot rig with live shad. Bass depends on the time of year and the lake your on every time, coulda killed with it last week and skunked the next, but my go to is a roboworm margarita mutilator Color whacky rig or drop shot. These were on a crappie tube with trout worm, below Hoover dam on the Colorado river. It draws strikes when nothing else seems to, gotta use light gear, light line always for trout, go up from 4lb to 6lb and you aren’t getting bit half as much. Maxima ultra green line every time for me😉!

Attachments

• BAFB3EC6-2BD7-4282-BADD-F64DECF00E66.jpeg
    BAFB3EC6-2BD7-4282-BADD-F64DECF00E66.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 92FFBA67-1F5C-4656-BB85-DE261521133D.jpeg
    92FFBA67-1F5C-4656-BB85-DE261521133D.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 44
Want to narrow the species or location a little?

Kind of like asking whats the best gun.

My go to in the rivers around here is either a 1/8 oz sonic rooster tail In chartreuse or a 1/8oz bitsy bug jug t in craw with a green pumpkin craw trailer. Drives the smallmouths nuts!!!

Reactions: Alabusa
For trout, a small crappie tube jig in pumpkin seed or whatever closet matches the bottom of the lakes color, tipped with a trout worm in red, mimics a saun Jaun worm and also a Thomas buoyant spoon lure are killer most places, and don’t ever discount a nightcrawer with a marshmallow in a lake or salmon eggs on a mosquito hook in a small stream, all lethal in the right circumstances. For striper a drop shot rig with live shad. Bass depends on the time of year and the lake your on every time, coulda killed with it last week and skunked the next, but my go to is a roboworm margarita mutilator Color whacky rig or drop shot. These were on a crappie tube with trout worm, below Hoover dam on the Colorado river. It draws strikes when nothing else seems to, gotta use light gear, light line always for trout, go up from 4lb to 6lb and you aren’t getting bit half as much. Maxima ultra green line every time for me😉!
Wow just wow,beautiful fish.

Somewhat depends upon species of fish, but...

Largemouth - Gene Larew Salt Craw - Color dependent upon water color/conditions.

Largemouth, Smallmouth, Crappie, Sunfish - Road runner - Color mostly dependent upon water color/conditions - but white or silver is my most common for the plastic body or a combo of chartruese and silver

Catfish - nightcrawler because doesn't stink like punchbait - unless you let them die in the heat in the truck for a few days...LOL

Reactions: Snuby642
Like asking what was the best pair of tits you ever seen.

My most versatile lure is a Mepp's spinner. #1-3 for inland trout. #3-up for bass, pike and even perhaps a musky.

Reactions: gunjunkie45
For largemouth on top water the whopper plopper is tough to beat.

It’s always interesting when I fish with someone new to see what they use that I’ve never considered. That said what’s your favorite bait/lure for fresh water? And what color?

Right now my go to is super fluke in watermelon red flake or watermelon red pearl.
Bobby Garland electric blue soft body jig

Rooster tail, Ned Rig with green pumpkin TRD, Green pumpkin senko and white superfluke can almost catch a fish on any body of water with these baits

Purple worm in a texas rig also for anything from a little after sun rise to sunset.

Black double jointed jitterbug large size any other time.

I've caught more fish on those two lures than everything else I have combined.

used to go to a fishing show and there was a vendor there called The Worm Bar. Me and my father used to get grocery bags full of the purple worms because they sold by the pound. I havent seen them in about 10 years now and I still am working through our stock of them.

@Snuby642, best response to this thread, ha! Had me rolling! So many different go-to setups in here, I guess just more stuff to put in my tackle box now! @ ravenworks thanks for the compliment.

Depending on what fresh water fish I’m going for but a white spinner bait will work well for just about anything, caught bass, trout and even catfish with it

for lake trout i use the castaic hard head 6 in, pretty much the only thing i drag around.

TD minnow. Bought every one i could find when they were discontinued.

White ice is my go to color for flukes. Depends on the water I am fishing as to what I am going to use, on the deck I will always have these rigged and ready to throw
fluke - white or white ice
spook - black/chrome
swim jig with trailer - white
football or arckie jig - blue/black or pumpkin
jerkbait - shad
t-rigged creature - blue/black or watermelon
square bill crank - sexy shad

broken back 2 trebel rapala minnow floater in classic silver or a 1/8oz chartreuse rooster tail. may not catch all the big fish, but will catch all the fish.

5" pumpkin green Senko wacky rigged on a weighted jig head. Old faithful.

Reactions: clark33
I'm simplistic. If I don't catch a fish on the below, I go home.

bubble gum trick worm
blu/chart h&h spinnerbait
f7 rapala
black beetlespin

6" Senko! Seems like no matter what bass can't resist it. Slow fishing it though

Small Sassy shad in Black/White or a Mepps Black Fury spinner for all around lures

Are we talking lake or river/creek? Water color will determine color of lure. Moving water or still water will determine lure.
I also presume your talking about a bass lure and not something like a trout fly.