• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Gun Writer

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
When I was doing most of my magazine reading in the 70s and 80s, Elmer Keith was always a pleasure to follow. Jack O'Connor was also good reading. I remember looking forward to new issues when Elmer was telling of his near - death experience in the hotel fire.

In the last few years, I was able to obtain a copy of "Hell, I Was There" autographed by the man himself. Keith is far and away my favorite and I was wondering what writers you gents preferred.

Be good to hear from all.

I enjoyed OConner.
Jeff Cooper also. Need to catch up on some of these others.
I ofton wonder what ol Jack would think of some of these new rounds and supporting technology.Including terms like platform.
Even ideas takes on the long range hunting and scopes.

Last edited:
I'm going way back when I mention Lee Juras, Maj. George Nonte, Col. Charles Askins, Skeeter Skelton, and of course, Elmer Keith.

"Tales of the Rio Grande", I enjoyed those. Still looking for my own copy of "Hell, I was there!"

There's so much more that I'm not sure what I don't know.

Jack O'Conner, read his Outdoor Life articles in my younger years, appreciate his writing style more as time goes on.

Jack o'conner is one of my all time favorites. Grits Gresham did some nice work as well. Craig Boddington is my current favorite. Also really liked Greg Rodriquez work a shame he left us too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, laying on the carpet, dawg next to me, Pop in his chair, I LOVED reading the great Col. Cooper's words, STILL DO!(yes, got all his books, read them over and over)
Elmer Kieth was not quite right there, but his stuff was always great reading. The rest, I honestly cannot remember, but I am certain they do not measure up to Elmer Kieth nor do they even come close to the departed Col Cooper. No one in gun magazine writing uses the English language as well as Col Cooper, his writing is just so good. I mena really, look at it, one ALWAYS smiles, and no one is lost on exactly what is being said, well, except maybe a hoplophobe

I'm somewhat prejudiced toward Jim Carmichel because I know him personally. But Keith, Cooper and o'Conner are all hard to beat. I just got a copy of "to ride, shoot straight & tell the truth".

I read Jim Carmichel religiously in my younger days.
Did my first pillar bed from one of his articles.
It's been a long time since I've read printed anything.
I usually just Google and find the answers. They call it progress, but...