• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Favorite handgun type

What is your favorite all-around handgun type (do-all home defense, carry, target)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Except those other pistols you mention have been upgraded through the years to keep pace with modern standards and don't use obsolete ammunition.
Yes, they have, but ill hazard a guess that they are also still being made in their original form in larger quantities than the upgraded models.
I agree the 7.62 Tok round is obsolete, in a sense, just as the 9mm and 45 auto are.
When loaded with an expanding bullet its terminal ballistics are impressive.
Ive had several Tokerevs and CZ 52s over the years and, IMO, the lousey ergonomics of those pistols take away any gain in terminal performance expanding bullets give it.
If a manufacturer were to offer a pistol of modern design in 7.62 Tok I'd buy one.
Looking into getting a TC Encore barrel made in 7.62x25 now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Boatright
That's a good job polishing a turd
  • Shit, obsolete ammo that overpenetrates and doesn't expand.
  • No understanding of what makes a handgun bullet an effective one against tissue
  • Not drop safe
  • Single action only
  • Shit sights
  • No ability to accept a light
  • No optics
  • 9 rounds of shit obsolete ammo that overpenetrates and doesn't expand
Let's just say I recognized good design DNA when I saw it. The roller locking action is as obsolete as your MP5. Post-war manufacturing was hit-or-miss and some materials used were not up to today's standards.
1. Expanding military bullets were outlawed by the Hague Conventions. Ballistics at 25 yards match those of the M1 Carbine at 100 yards. Maybe Black Hills would load some of their TAC-XP copper bullets in 7.62 Tok?
2. How effective are your expanding pistol bullets against even level IIA body armor?
3. I only drop my pistols muzzle downward.
4. I have noticed over the years that ALL of my favorite pistols are SA-Only. None are SA-DA or striker-fired.
5. The iron sights are adequate and do not snag.
6. I don't hang flashlights on my pistols.
7. Ditto for optics.
8. I believe the 9mm Parabellum and 45 ACP are even older pistol cartridges. [Unless you suspect the 7.63 Mauser of 1896 might possibly have inspired the design of the 7.62 Tokarev.]

Let's just say I recognized good design DNA when I saw it. The roller locking action is as obsolete as your MP5. Post-war manufacturing was hit-or-miss and some materials used were not up to today's standards.
1. Expanding military bullets were outlawed by the Hague Conventions. Ballistics at 25 yards match those of the M1 Carbine at 100 yards. Maybe Black Hills would load some of their TAC-XP copper bullets in 7.62 Tok? I'm not a soldier so I don't give a shit about the Hague Conventions.
2. How effective are your expanding pistol bullets against even level IIA body armor? Extremely effective with head and/or pelvis shots
3. I only drop my pistols muzzle downward. You're full of shit
4. I have noticed over the years that ALL of my favorite pistols are SA-Only. None are SA-DA or striker-fired. So?
5. The iron sights are adequate and do not snag. LOL....ok
6. I don't hang flashlights on my pistols. It's 2022
7. Ditto for optics. It's 2022
8. I believe the 9mm Parabellum and 45 ACP are even older pistol cartridges. [deleted irrelevant shit.] Yet they are loaded with modern expanding bullets and available anywhere in the USA

There you go

Reactions: Basher
There you go

I’ll second all the edited in comments in this post.

“I only drop my pistols muzzle downwards.”

Sure, buddy. Suuuuure.

“Adequate” irons? I don’t know about you, but if I’m using a pistol in a fight, I want everything about it to be as optimal as it can be. “Adequate” = mediocrity, the last thing I want in a tool I’m trusting my life with, but you do you.

And the BS about the Hague Convention was hilarious. 😂

If you’re just plinking and enjoying the guns, great. If you actually use these for carry, good luck.

Reactions: 308pirate
My favorites are 1911/2011 for competing and shooting.

My favorite for carry are striker fired. Glock, M&P, and Hellcat

I enjoy shooting my DW Valor 1911 the most. I shoot it the best, and love its quality.

I don't currently carry anything, pretty much all the handguns in the house are (at least mine) are full frame pistols. Sig P226 Enhanced Elite (that's the vehicle/travel gun) and VP9 (threaded barrel for novelty suppressed fun) are my other full sized pistols. Both are rather large to carry. The wife has a Ruger LCP-9, and we do have her brothers M&P 40 that could be carried, but I haven't.

The Sig P320 series looks nice to carry (and I'm familiar with Sigs), but no experience with that model/series, so my opinion is meaningless on that specific subject.

CZ P-09 or SP-01 Phantom are the best of both worlds: polymer framed DA/SA

We aren't far off. My "church carry" (or carry where I won't be potentially crawling in the mud under a tractor etc...) is a P-01. I bought my dad an SP-01 for HD a few years ago too.

Something about the ergonomics on how those just fit my hand...I can shoot them as well as any pistol I own that is 3-4x the cost.

I just carry an M&P40 around the ranch because I got two for under $400 NIB when everyone was dumping the .40 for 9mm. They don't hold a candle to my CZs, but they're still legit minute of armadillo at 20+ yards.

In all seriousness, my duty pistol was a full-sized custom 1911 in 45 ACP loaded with RCBD Totally Frangible extremely high velocity ammo. My EDC is now a Colt Concealed Carry Officer's Model loaded with Hornady 45 ACP Critical Defense ammo backed up by a Ruger LC9s loaded with Black Hills 115-gr copper TAC-XP bullets in their +P loading.

Today's handgun optics are great for plinking and race guns, but too bulky for EDC IMHO. In spite of my Cold War bias against all things Soviet, the 7.62x25 mm Tokarev (+P) round deserves more interest and development as an EDC round. [Just don't fire any in an antique C96 Mauser.] It already is what the new "30 Super Carry" round might aspire to be. For example, I wonder if SIG-USA's new P210 Carry pistol could be chambered in 7.62 Tok? [The Tok round is 5.4 mm longer than 9x19 mm, but the grip of a TT-33 is not excessively wide.]

I love revolvers but don't have any at the moment. About 30 years ago I sold my P series Ruger 9mm. At the same time I had a .40 cal glock and just stayed with the .40 cal glock.

Attachments

• 12345.JPG
    12345.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 28
I have more wheel guns, (single and double action) than autos. I carry a Kahr cm9 most everyday. I woods carry a revolver either a 3" m60 .38 special, or a 2.75" m69 .44mag. I just like shooting revolvers more, (no brass to search for).

Mike

I was issued a 1911 in ‘88. Moved to M9, then became an instructor. And eventually a cop and taught thousands of people. I’ve used every possible handgun, and owned about a hundred guns. I now carry a commander sized 1911 as I’m no longer bound by my PD policy since I retired. I use a 2011 for gun games once a month. And don’t feel worried about carrying A Glock or revolver or DA/SA or SA pistol.
but my all time favorite handgun is the 1911.