• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Hot Sauce

1691704589880.png

I've never gotten into boutique hot sauces so I stick with the mass produced.

Cholula is my go to for Tex Mex
Franks for chili and practically anything else
Crystal for oysters

Thats about it. Should I try small batch?

Reactions: powdahound76
One of my favorite prepackaged one is Melinda's. Just some really good off the shelf sauces without a lot of extraneous stuff. My favorite one so far is the Trinidad Scorpion. On par with ghost pepper but I think it has really good flavor too. Also, for my Mexican food, El Yucateco Mayan triple XXX hot sauce is my go to. Now before you run out and buy these, know that I did the one chip challenge at work and kept on working. Sweating, crying and red for 15 minutes, but that's it.

Reactions: WAMBO
Not-so hot favorite. Has a mild habanero flavor:

dnjrkjalowqc6tn9uoly.jpg

Little hotter favorite with a ghost pepper/chipotle combo:

iu
Habaneros actually do have a great flavor...

Some of the flavors they use are coffee… passion fruit… pineapple…

Unreal good. Some is scorching hot. Some is mild and mellow. The pineapple garlic reaper is amazing on eggs.

Sirhr
Youre treading deep water there pal. That stuffs made in Brooklyn?

There is a particular 'way' in which I prefer my hot-sauce. And, it was so hard to find one anywhere even close to 'the way I like it' where I simply decided (over a decade ago) to start making my own. To-which it all begins with us (myself and My Lady) growing our own peppers.

The process has 'developed' over the years, and minor/subtle changes and improvements have taken place. We don't have a 'farm', we have a 'yard' so we're limited in what we can grow (right now only 24 plants are growing) and each year the 'yield' is a bit different. But then the 'procedure' starts and THAT is where a heck-of-a-lot of flavours get developed.

Our method is hemispherically different than the vast majority of 'bottles' out there. All they are (in my view) are "bottle as much as we can, as fast as we can, as simply as we can,,,,, because it's fashionable" and then there's the other group who're in "a race to the heat".

This year's runner-up will be Eleventy-Gazillion, Forty-three-Bazillion, Eight-hunnert'n-fifty-bunch-Million Scoville units because that's gooder'est.

Not mine.
Youres reminded me of a chipolte, but much better.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Cholula is my go to sauce.

People in CO love good hot sauce, so a lot around to try.
Easy to see 50+ varieties at the basic grocery.

Lots of mexican folks means we can get some serious good eats with good salsa and sauces too.

I like to do stuff like pan sear left over pulled pork, then a little salsa verde with it, mild spice, mostly a little flavor.
Top with fried eggs and a good flavor sauce, something with mild but distinct flavors and medium heat.
Lotta choices.
Too lazy to get up and probably have 20 in the door of the beer fridge.

Add some fresh crispy hashbrowns under the pulled pork above and you will look for the Pearly Gates you musta entered.

(Bacon on the side of course, we aint commies!)
A great verde sauce is a rare thing. the New Mexicans have it down pretty well with the Hatch peppers.

Reactions: powdahound76
Seems to be a shortage for some reason. It's good though.
They had a contractual dispute with their grower in Cali. That farm now sells their own brand. Huy Fong got a new grower in Mexico, but the drought has ruined their crop two seasons in a row, they have suspended production.
No other Sriracha comes close.

• Sad
Reactions: kthomas and theLBC
Seems to be a shortage for some reason. It's good though.

An issue with the companies pepper supply. People are trying to sell their half empty bottles for silly amounts of money.

Siracha has its place. I like the flavor profile on certain Asian dishes. But I think there's much better general purpose hot sauces.

Reactions: Maggot
They had a contractual dispute with their grower in Cali. That farm now sells their own brand. Huy Fong got a new grower in Mexico, but the drought has ruined their crop two seasons in a row, they have suspended production.
No other Sriracha comes close.

Have you tried the yellowbird siracha?

Youre treading deep water there pal. That stuffs made in Brooklyn?

I gave Nico some shit about that when he started the company… he’es a friend

His answer is “this is where food happens.”

He and his wife have a NAVSPECWAR connection. But not sure what it is. Very very good people!

Sirhr

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot and kthomas
I've never gotten into boutique hot sauces so I stick with the mass produced.

Cholula is my go to for Tex Mex
Franks for chili and practically anything else
Crystal for oysters

Thats about it. Should I try small batch?

Yes.
Lemme know what your prefered heat level is.
Use Cholula as the guide as I buy that stuff in bulk!

And for Chili you need some good peppers.

If you dont have a Mex grocery near you, lemme know.
I gots yer address and will send you some with the sauce.

I like Franks.

And good Chilis cooked into your dishes is an apples/oranges comparison.

Reactions: johnnycat
One of my favorite prepackaged one is Melinda's. Just some really good off the shelf sauces without a lot of extraneous stuff. My favorite one so far is the Trinidad Scorpion. On par with ghost pepper but I think it has really good flavor too. Also, for my Mexican food, El Yucateco Mayan triple XXX hot sauce is my go to. Now before you run out and buy these, know that I did the one chip challenge at work and kept on working. Sweating, crying and red for 15 minutes, but that's it.
Good stuff.

Attachments

• 20230810_162810.jpg
    20230810_162810.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 20
The name and imagery is self-exaplanatory.
1691714713711.jpeg

To quote Ace Ventura, "Do not go in there! Woo!"

There's a Middle Eastern paste, Shug, that I'm a fan of. A dense mess of hot pepper flakes, spices, and a touch of oil. Will often mix with mayo and use as a dipping sauce.

Awrighty then...
Take about 200-300 of these little Thai chilis (nickle for sizing idea)...
ThaiDragon.jpg

Add about 5-7 *REAL* Jalapenos, not those jumbo sized water tasting store bought trash things.
Real Jalapenos rarely exceed 2 inches long and have pretty substantial heat.
Add about 5 cloves fresh garlic.
1-2 Poblano chilis
2-3 *REAL* Serrano chilis (not store bought, see above).
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp fresh ground cumin seeds
1 tsp fresh ground corriander seeds
*About* 1/4 cup (it will vary) apple cider vinegar
1 small to medium brown onion

Destem all chilis, peel and cut up onion, place in a blender.
I use a Ninja juicer, it works perfectly for this.
Blend the shit out of it, it should become almost a whitish/green foam, add more vinegar until it does.
Pour this mess into a smaller saute pan and place over low heat.
Stir it fairly often and scrape sides often.
It should come to a decent boil in time, leave it boil for at least 5 minutes, 10 is better.
Pour directly into a prepped Mason jar and lid it tight while it's still as hot as possible.
Leave sit, you should hear the top *POP* when it cools, this is what you want.
Leave it sit on the counter or something for 4-5 days at minimum.
Give it a good shake, use as you will but be sure to refridge it from here on out.

Random chilis maybe 1/10th of what I harvest every few days.

RandomChilis.jpg

Busha Browne's Pukka Sauce. Jamaican scotch bonnet pepper sauce. The flavor is flat out amazing. It is also amazingly difficult to find. Amazon doesn't count.