• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite McMillan Hunting style, stock, which is yours???

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
Which McMillan stock is your favorite for a LR hunting rifle, swirly stocks only, no Edges. RE; A-3 Sporter, Game Scout, Hunter, new Hunter, HTG. Which one, what do you like about it, post pictures if possible.
THanks

I run an A3 profile that I like a lot, but sometimes I wish I had went an HTG profiled stock to be a little more streamline.

Game Scout all the way. Has a pistol grip and a high comb with a butt pad that meets it so its still comfy for prone shooting. Front is sporter style and feels great while shooting with sticks.

I used a A1-3 with a model 70 in 30-06. I liked it. If I could get another one I'd probably try the game scout or an A-3 sporter.

Adjustable HTG - Likes: feels good between your hands for off-hand shooting and it just looks like a hunting stock, and it's relatively light weight; the adjustable CP gives you the comb height needed for large tactical style 30mm, 34mm and 35mm scopes. Cons: Not as comfortable or ergonomic in prone positions as the A-2 or A-3

I used a A1-3 with a model 70 in 30-06. I liked it. If I could get another one I'd probably try the game scout or an A-3 sporter.

Tried to do just that just recently, but Mcmillan broke the mold for the winnys and the a1-3. Ended up ordering a Mannes MCS-T.

Favorite? Adj-HTG then HTG. I'd like to try out an A1-3 though, just wish they made it adjustable like the HTG.

Of the options listed my choice would be the adjustable HTG, the Game Scout looks good though.
Put in a order 2 months ago, for my 7 RM LR hunting rig, and it's gonna ride in a fully adjustable Bakes special though, not a small and lightweight stock but excellent for prone, and usable for offhand shots, serves my purpose well and one of my favorite McM stocks.
Now my hunting terrain is basically just open mountain slopes with a couple small fields of forest ,and 99% of my shots are done prone with a bipod or sling, from steep angles, rarely i get to shoot at animals in less then a 45 degreee tilt.
The stock being a bit on the heavy side does'nt really bother me, a bit of extra weight don't hurt and makes the rifle more stable, and shooting in the windy conditions that are here most of the time it's just an advantage.

Favorite? Adj-HTG then HTG. I'd like to try out an A1-3 though, just wish they made it adjustable like the HTG.

I got their Adjustable Tac Hunter earlier this year. It is basically an Adjustable A1-3, just without the finger groove along the side of the forearm. It is the best of both worlds and it has become my favorite hunting stock by far.

Its not overly heavy either. My rifle weighs the exact same as it used to with a regular HTG with sniper fill.

I'm happy to see you guys like the game scout, plan on getting one for a project.

Tried to do just that just recently, but Mcmillan broke the mold for the winnys and the a1-3. Ended up ordering a Mannes MCS-T.

Are you saying I have a collector's item then? :) BTW I held a Remington Varmint and liked that one as well very nice!!!

Are you saying I have a collector's item then? :) BTW I held a Remington Varmint and liked that one as well very nice!!!

You and I both, My first A1-3 was from McMillan's specials page in campfire camo. I had just received my FN PBR barreled action from CDNN and needed a stock. Who knew it would quickly become my favorite. I have 3 of them now, and really wanted to put my new md70 7mmRM in a GAP camo A1-3.

Gents,

I'll vote HTG Adjustable. I have the standard HTG and wish I could tweek a thing or two. Still, the standard M40A1/HTG stock has done stellar service for me. The HTG is a hunting style stalk and works well in all positions. Newer models are more specialized toward prone work. It's hard to go wrong with any McMillan product, tho'.

Wes