• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite powder for 6.5 Grendel

For accuracy at the range it's TAC for velocity needed for the hunt use cfe 233 or lever. My Grendel II is pushing a 120gr Nosler BT at 2780fps with 31.6gr of LEVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustycoyote
I like the results I've gotten from AR-comp in a Grendel and 264LBC with the hornady 123's.
Sub MOA with low ES and clean burn.
Doesn't need adjustment going from hot to cold weather.

Reactions: Dustycoyote
Grendel II chamber was developed by Arne Brennan and Bill Alexander in 2003 and announced at Shot in January in 2004. At the time it was simply called the 6.5 Grendel. With Satern and other barrel makers suffering from the bullet stuck syndrome common with the compound throat and after a call from Steve Satern PTG dusted off the old print for the original Grendel and called it the Grendel II. In other words the Grendel II is Orginal Grendel (OG). That fixed the problem and so far seems to shot with higher velocities. At least with my hand loads. Factory SST is about the same at 2624fps. The 65 Grendel forum reacted with shrill screams of foul play forwarding the false story that Satern had a bad reamer and was covering up for that and it was some kind of evil plot between Steve Satern and Dave Kiff. In a hilarious twist of fate it turned out there own barrel buy of lilja barrels were "out of spec"with a custom throat they ordered adding to the conspiracy hysteria. They of course I'm sure received just what they ordered everyone now wants to avoid the stuck bullet syndrome that has been reported on JT barrels, Alexander Arms barrels, Liberty barrels, McGowan an others when using the "in spec" throat. Of course the problem is never the spec it's those bad reamers everyone seems to be getting (conspiracy). Paul (LRRPF52) and his spin machine have had a rough couple months trying to put the blame anywhere but the obvious "spec". Barel manufactures are trapped if they use a "in spec" throat they could have stuck bullets and angry customers but if they change the troat they have offended the "Grendel Cult". Precision Arms has lengthed there throat to avoid the stuck bullet syndrom but kept the compound throat which seems to have satified the cult." Poor Lilja just wanted happy customers but stepped in it.

Wow! All that stupid in just one post.

Not one fact in there.

Favorite powder for 6.5 Grendel

All true and you know it. Of course does not follow the cult narrative about Steve and Dave designing it in a grand anti Grendel conspiracy to divide the community as Paul has said but true none the less. How do you explain all the complaints on Alexander Arms barrels with factory ammo getting stuck? Is that a Dave and Steve conspiracy as well? Hmm? Maybe they have been going around the internet for years planting fake complaints of rounds getting stuck? Then theres a direct quote from Arne Brennan codeveloper of the Grendel. "In reality, the Grendel II is identical to the Grendel V 1.0 that the proceeded the compound angle throat." Is Arne lieing? Is he part of the evil Steve and Dave plot as well? The plot thickens!!

Alexander Arms upper won't chamber factory ammo.
https://www.okshooters.com/showthre...-5-grendel-advice-Not-fully-chambering-rounds

A guy with an Alexander Arms upper getting rounds stuck and when extracting the rounds stay in the chamber and its spills gun powder in the upper.
Trouble getting a 6.5 Grendel to shoot | Outdoors | Forums | TexAgs

A guy with an Alexander Arms upper getting rounds stuck
6.5 Grendel or .264 LBC help..... - 24hourcampfire

A Guy with a factory Alexander Arms upper and Amax was having issues with factory rounds getting stuck.
Stuck Bullet [Archive] - 6.5 Grendel Forum : : For the 6.5 Grendel Aficionado

A press reviewer during a shot with a JT upper got a AA factory 120gr TSX stuck during the review.
http://www.jprifles.com/document_pdfs/GANG of 65 GRENDELS _129.pdf

Vmax loaded to specs gets stuck
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=399702

Factory Vmax stuck in 6.5 Grendel with compound throat.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/71681-6-5-grendel-extraction-issues.html

Factory Amax won't chamber in Satern barrel
6.5 grendel feeding issues - AR15.Com Archive

Another Alexander Arms upper getting factory Alexander Arms 120gr TTSX round stuck.
New Alexander Arms grendel... Proble out of the box

A guy with a Mcgowen barrel and factory Amax and SST ammo getting stuck. He says " I am using factory grade Hornady A-max or SST 123 gr. ammo. No reloads at all."
Problems with McGowen barrels [Archive] - 6.5 Grendel Forum : : For the 6.5 Grendel Aficionado

Unknown barrel make and 100gr Amax getting stuck.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...nd-stuck-chamber-please-help.html#post2977927

And another report of rounds getting stuck with a Surplus Arms Grendel this time. Notice the broken charging handle from trying to extract the round. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-ammo-getting-stuck-44066/#post525472.

b469890e.jpg

Last edited:
For 100gr and below pills its H335 for me it seems to have the best velocity. H335 is sending out a 100gr NOS BT at 3000fps in my 24in Grendel II. I have a couple pounds of Xterm and H322 but have yet to try it.

Last edited:
All true and you know it. Of course does not follow the...... Paraphrasing a bunch of diarrhea that has nothing to do with the topic which was what powder to use.

why do you have to come shit all over every thread about the cartridge? All of your pissing and moaning is the only thing that pops up when you google the round and turns people off of the load all together which in turn may drive it back to having no factory ammo again.
Grendel 1-2 lbc 264 CSS whatever the chamber design, there is a saami spec. That's the one that is called grendel.

i have a 20" krieger barrel that they chambered to saami specs. No sticking issues after almost 500 rounds suppressed of factory hornady.

Back on topic I have some 8208, 123 amax and sst that I'm going to try. I thought about getting some Barnes 100 gr to try too.

Last edited:
Grendel 1-2 lbc 264 CSS whatever the chamber design, there is a saami spec. That's the one that is called grendel.

The Grendel II chamber was first called the Grendel by Bill Alexander so no the Grendel II is also called Grendel. The Grendel Vol II also refers to the 264 LBC as a Grendel as well. So if it shoots a Grendel bullet takes a Grendel go guage then its a Grendel. Saying otherwise is silly cultish sectarian BS.

264 LBC labeled Grendel in Grendel reloading manual Vol II
IMG_0607%u0025255B1%u0025255D.JPG

Last edited:
I started my Grendel because I wanted to get a better performing cartridge in an ar15. I didn't know all of the drama behind the design. This is just part of the same design drama that I learned about when studying the history of the round. I have no stock in the round, other than I just built one, 500 rounds ago. I'm just an average joe that wanted a great performer. I have read until my eyes bleed on the same shit about short throats and .295 vs .300 neck and bolt hardness (which I experienced myself).

I don't care what the other chambers are called but I know why they are called what they are and what the saami spec is. It comes down to a bunch of dudes having disagreements over what the round should be and getting butt hurt over the others not agreeing. I know my Krieger barrel that they chambered in house to the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI spec chamber dimensions, shoots 3/4-1/2 moa with factory hornady 123 sst and doesn't get the bullet stuck in the compound throat and there are a lot of other barrels without issue out there. I know (from experience and lots of frustration) that if you plan on shooting suppressed you need a 9xxx series hardened steel bolt and not an 8xxx. (xxxx because I don't remember what they are and don't really think it matters in this context.)

I also know a few people that I have told about this cartridge, no matter what chamber, only the round itself and what it can do, and their response was the same diarrhea that you and a few others have shit all over the internet and that they weren't going to get into a cartridge that has so many problems. Is that the goal?

Again, I would like information about the 123 sst, amax, and 100 barnes tsx over 8208 shooting suppressed.

I started my Grendel because I wanted to get a better performing cartridge in an ar15. I didn't know all of the drama behind the design. This is just part of the same design drama that I learned about when studying the history of the round. I have no stock in the round, other than I just built one, 500 rounds ago. I'm just an average joe that wanted a great performer. I have read until my eyes bleed on the same shit about short throats and .295 vs .300 neck and bolt hardness (which I experienced myself).

I don't care what the other chambers are called but I know why they are called what they are and what the saami spec is. It comes down to a bunch of dudes having disagreements over what the round should be and getting butt hurt over the others not agreeing. I know my Krieger barrel that they chambered in house to the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI spec chamber dimensions, shoots 3/4-1/2 moa with factory hornady 123 sst and doesn't get the bullet stuck in the compound throat and there are a lot of other barrels without issue out there. I know (from experience and lots of frustration) that if you plan on shooting suppressed you need a 9xxx series hardened steel bolt and not an 8xxx. (xxxx because I don't remember what they are and don't really think it matters in this context.)

I also know a few people that I have told about this cartridge, no matter what chamber, only the round itself and what it can do, and their response was the same diarrhea that you and a few others have shit all over the internet and that they weren't going to get into a cartridge that has so many problems. Is that the goal?

Again, I would like information about the 123 sst, amax, and 100 barnes tsx over 8208 shooting suppressed.

Its normal for a mature cartridge to have several throat options. I'm glad to here your having a good experience with the Grendel i have as well. We have 3 in the house currently all without issues. The drama was not created by me but by the grendel cult fanatics that keep attacking anything they think is a not a"real" Grendel. There target over the last several months has been Satern and PTG. I'm just getting the truth out there everytime they run there mouths. If they don't talk crap i wouldn't feel compelled to call them out on it.

And I'm subscribing to this thread... wanted some good info, and all that's happening is some off-topic bullshit...

37000_109212605797630_1139853_n.jpg
And I'm subscribing to this thread... wanted some good info, and all that's happening is some off-topic bullshit...

Dude, you ain't seen shit. I was a member of the original 6.5 Grendel forum about 7 years ago. You would not believe the asinine shit that went on there during that time. I don't know what it is about the Grendel, but the extreme hardcore followers were/are some of the most vicious, sarcastic, & hateful group of firearms enthusiasts I ever exchanged text with. I'm pretty sure that's who they modeled the character Howie, that Nick Swardson played in the movie "Benchwarmers" after.

Last edited:
View attachment 42896

Dude, you ain't seen shit. I was a member of the original 6.5 Grendel forum about 7 years ago. You would not believe the asinine shit that went on there during that time. I don't know what it is about the Grendel, but the extreme hardcore followers were/are some of the most vicious, sarcastic, & hateful group of firearms enthusiasts I ever exchanged text with. I'm pretty sure that's who they modeled the character Howie, that Nick Swardson played in the movie "Benchwarmers" after.
Yea, I've read some of the shit on there... hitting the range up tomorrow to confirm loads.

I've been strictly using 123 grains either Lapua, Sierra, and Hornady for a while now with AA2520, CCI41, and Lapua brass. This is my go to bullets, powder, primers, and brass. Glad to see the Grendel is alive and remain a solid round in the AR15 platform for long range shooting.

Grafs has Lapua and Nosler 123grn projectiles. Midsouth shooting supply has both brands also. Midway has Hornady A-max in stock.....check out wideners, natchez, cabelas, bruno's, natchez shooter supply also.