• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Reloading Tool???

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Finished my first round of reloading today...and I've gotta say the RCBS 1500 ChargeMaster combo is AMAZING! Just couldn't stop thinking how effective it is at what it's for. Plug in the numbers for your reload, press a button, and it just keeps going with the loads. Take one load off, put the tray back, and another load just starts while you're seating the bullet (or whatever). If you're gonna spend some money, the Chargemaster combo and Redding T7 turret press are definitely tops on my list.

Anyone else have a favorite "must have" tool for reloading? Right now I'm thinking of adding the RCBS Trim Mate power station...and sending the rcbs hand primer and redding 2400 trimmer back.

Re: Favorite Reloading Tool???

The chargemaster is near the top for me, but my real favorite is my Forster CoAx.

Josh

The Chargemaster it the top of my list,too.I have a pretty busy schedule and the Chagemaster has allowed me to make a few matches,when I would not have had the time to get ready,otherwise. Pete

The RCBS trim mate is a must have if your going to doing alot of case prep. I can chamfer, debur, uniform my flash hole and primer pocket in no time! The redding 2400 is also a nice tool.

giaurd trimmer and my ken light annealer. Then the charge master. The dillon 650 has been falling down the list more and more since I bought it. Case prep is were the real time savers come to play with good rifle ammo.

Gen 1 Prometheus, Co-Ax, Giraud trimmer, all tied for first place with me

Chargemaster #1, Trim Mate #2
these two items save soooo much time.

madd0c

Mmmm might have to try the co-ax from the sounds of things
laugh.gif

My sinclair/wilson sharkfin case trimmer with base plate is my favorite tool.

Im not sure as to why, but its just a nice bit of kit. Does a nice job of trimming too
smile.gif

my favorite reloading tool is my rifles, with out them relading would be pointles :p

as for actual reloading tool, im only using the basics but im looking at getting somthing like the RCBS trim mate wich im sure come to my #1

I say buy all of the tools & toys for reloading you can afford. I agree the Chargemaster is the bomb for reloading, especially testing new recipes or making super accurate rifle loads without having to trust a volumetric powder thrower.

+1 on the Chargemaster and all the tools I have from Sinclair.........At some point in life I hope to replace everything with Sinclair tools. Pricey but I've not found one yet I didn't consider it heads above what I replaced....then to comp die sets from Redding and Forster.

I am going to have to say manuals. I went out and purchased one to see what it was all about and it gave me the confidence to actually start reloading. You can have all the high tech gear you want but if you do it wrong your gun and possibly you can be broke.

Co-ax - giraud trimmer - stainless meadia tumbler and the chargemaster. All four are awesome pieces of equipment and make it all way faster and easier then it otherwise would be.

CJG

My Giraud trimmer is way up at the top,too.I just use the Chargemaster more.I also think alot of my Sinclair priming tool.Theres almost too many great tools out there to pick just one! Pete

Favorite reloading tool. I would say Bat 308 it unloads the brass for me . and does a dam fine job of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Favorite reloading tool. I would say Bat 308 it unloads the brass for me . and does a dam fine job of it. </div></div>You're welcome!!!

You have to admit CKA did it right when that was put together. And yes i do have to give it to you for selling it to me. matter of fact you still have a thread and chamber job to be done. I have 6 more of those 308 barrels coming should be here in 5 to 6 days. We are all going back to that desighn <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRA-M40A1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Favorite reloading tool. I would say Bat 308 it unloads the brass for me . and does a dam fine job of it. </div></div>You're welcome!!! </div></div>

funnel...hadn't thought of that, but I got the quick change 6" drop funnel. It's very nice for what it does. Kind of like my mtm loading tray. Very simple, but very good.

I would have to give the number one spot to the Chargemaster because it gets used the most. The Giraud Trimmer wins the "coolest tool" award though.

I love shell holders. Without them, the rest of our tools don't mean a thing.

(Meaning, does a question like this have ANY meaning?)

Chargemaster
Quickload
Co-Ax
Thumbler with SS media
Trim Mate

Tough question. I am new to reloading and bought a lot of nice stuff (much from Sinclairs). Still, the Forster Co-Ax is something I always like to use. I think some of the Sinclair tools will also be up there, once I get to using more frequently, and the same goes for the RCBS Chargemaster.

- Phil

My notebooks.

Can look back over many, many years of loads, rifles, barrels, powders and bullets, etc.

The hardware does its job, but making improvements over time in the end product is what I see the most value in.

I have this little stick of aluminum that is perfect for poking media out of flash holes.

I put my forster case trimmer 90° away from me (if you have a mental picture of the unit laying down with the base facing you) clamped in a vice, and taped a little paper cereal bowl underneath it...now I can trim cases all day and all the brass shavings end up in that little bowl. No mess!

Got the electronic powder dispenser/scale combo...but lately I've been using my vintage Ohaus 5-0-5 and Lyman no. 55 powder measure like crazy. I've been using a pousse-café glass as a powder trickler...its clear and the mouth is convex so I can actually drop 1 grain at a time with it.

Another one of my favorite reloading tools is a $3.00 collapsible mesh clothing hamper from Walgreens. It is the ultimate brass catcher...you can lay it on its side next to your ejection port, have someone spot your ejection port when firing pistol, or just use it to collect cases you pick up. It rolls up and folds down to a real compact pocket size...and no the brass doesn't "melt the nylon mesh".

If I can think of more I'll mention em.

Oh...7/8" flat washers. Set up seating die at desired crimp depth and tighten locking ring. Unscrew die body from press, drop in 7/8" flat washer and tighten die against it. Now you can do all your seating in one step and all your crimping in another step without loosening the locking ring. Forster Co-Ax users, this is a no-go.

Some good talk radio! Without it i'd just be a guy sitting at a desk.

range004.jpg

Co-ax, Chargemaster, Trim mate, Sinclair priming tool and Dillon media seperator are all good. Hard to pick a favorite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyinrl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some good talk radio! Without it i'd just be a guy sitting at a desk.</div></div>

I have talk radio in the reloading room where most of the presses are. Rush is my favorite.

And I used to move my large quantity efforts to the living room and watch TV when I resized 7,000 pieces of 223 brass.

But now I clamp a press in front of my keyboard and watch TV on my computer when I do repetitive stuff.

plus 1 but I am cheap so I got the k&m priming tool
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: polter71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sinclair Hand primer Tool</div></div>

I almost don't want to ask. Do I need the combo if I already have a
scale? The powder charger is what I'm looking for as I weigh every
charge for my 308, I use h4895 in my ltr, and I might use it for my new
bushy.

Thanks
J-rat

If you already have the 1500 scale for the chargemaster you just need to purchase the dispenser.

Link

Josh

I don't have the 1500 scale, I have a balance beam that I have used
for over thirty years.

Yeah, that's not going to work. The scale is what tells the dispenser to turn off. You need the whole combo.

Josh

Hmmm tough one for which is the favorite of these 3:

Quickload software
Pact Digital Dispenser/scale combo (have had this for quite a few years now(it is the newer faster version, not the old slow one))
Giraud Case Trimmer

even though I had a lot of fun making a lap tray for my manual trimmer for those cases I do not load high numbers of and can't see getting the conversion for the G trimmer.

lathe%20tray.JPG

and last christmas the kids even got me an electric screwdriver for use with this setup.