• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Target for Load Development?

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
I know everyone has their own way of doing things.

Lately I’ve been looking around for a better target for load development. Lots of good ones out there but curious which you like best.

This one is my favorite:

Load Development Target.jpg

Attachments

• My Load Development Target.pdf
    170.2 KB · Views: 416
Have been using white poster board with 1\2 grid lines. Use orange target sticker of preferred size. Easy to see bullet placement when doing load development.

I do photography so I have the software and printer to roll my own. The one below is multipurpose - works for load development.

I print then in 11x17 sheets of thin card stock so the holes on paper are nice and crisp. Everything is scaled in Mils. The red squares are exactly .1 Mil.

i-CjdpHKF-X4.jpg

I like the first one. 3 red diamonds 1/2"

Reactions: DIBBS
Just food for thought.
Many of the above are very good and folks will cover the paper topic, but I will throw in the idea of ShotMarker (eTarget) since it hasn't come up yet.

With a SM or SilverMountain, you get an image of the target, it does the group stats in real time if you want them, it gives the velocity at the target, and it also puts the data in a CSV file for you.

Once I got a taste of working with electronic targets at work, decades before the ShotMarker or SilverMountain came out, it wasn't affordable for me to own a personal eTarget so when those came out I jumped on them. I was involved at two clubs with Beta testing them since I had industrial experience with the predecessors (all of which cost factors more).

Since I got a personal ShotMarker unit, I only pull out paper for subsonic stuff like rimfire or pistols since they won't register. The projectile must make a sonic shock wave to register with one of these inexpensive systems.

I realize paper is way cheaper, but once you find yourself out past a few hundred yards, or trying to practice for matches by yourself, you won't look back on what these cost. YMMV

Reactions: straightshooter1
But what do you put on the ShotMarker for your aiming point?

For my 600yd+ frame (4'x4') I just stick with an MR1FC, because that's what I shoot at in matches. I usually run an offset, so the POI is about 1.5 moa above the POA, to preserve the target center (even the corroplast backer gets chewed up eventually). That said, I usually *don't* aim at the center X... instead I'll hold one or two rings out @ 3 or 9.

For my short range (100-300yd) frame I usually habe something with a finer aiming mark - often just a BC target spot, the orange ones with a black diamond center. The struggle there (for me, my eyes, on the local range) is having something small enough for precision @ 100 yds, but still big enough to be visible through the mirage @ 300.

I like these because they are easy stickers, and I can buy them in rolls of 250 for cheap. There's actually another one like it that I think I will like a little bit better because it's just the dot in the middle is a tad bigger and easier to see

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221203-202627_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221203-202627_Photos.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 52
Nothing fancy... I bought a ream of copier paper and use the 1/2" dot stickers. Cheap and fast. I also keep a manila folder for each rifle's targets... The copier paper is the perfect size for the folder.

Mike

Reactions: John Glidewell
Just food for thought.
Many of the above are very good and folks will cover the paper topic, but I will throw in the idea of ShotMarker (eTarget) since it hasn't come up yet.

With a SM or SilverMountain, you get an image of the target, it does the group stats in real time if you want them, it gives the velocity at the target, and it also puts the data in a CSV file for you.

Once I got a taste of working with electronic targets at work, decades before the ShotMarker or SilverMountain came out, it wasn't affordable for me to own a personal eTarget so when those came out I jumped on them. I was involved at two clubs with Beta testing them since I had industrial experience with the predecessors (all of which cost factors more).

Since I got a personal ShotMarker unit, I only pull out paper for subsonic stuff like rimfire or pistols since they won't register. The projectile must make a sonic shock wave to register with one of these inexpensive systems.

I realize paper is way cheaper, but once you find yourself out past a few hundred yards, or trying to practice for matches by yourself, you won't look back on what these cost. YMMV
Yeah, I really like ShotMaker, but on public ranges, I'm not sure how that would work out. It's not unusual to have strays and ricochets hitting my my paper targets . . . mainly when I'm shooting at 100 - 200 yds. And I shoot a lot at 200 yd public ranges.

Last edited:
But what do you put on the ShotMarker for your aiming point?
Either the regular standard targets, or the load development target that Adam made.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0525/7235/6768/files/ShotMarker_Load_Dev_Target.pdf?v=1614621078

When you save the target, you can annotate to match your load notes, so it doesn't matter what target you use. Make it easy on yourself based on what works well for your scope and your eyes.

Yeah, I really like ShotMaker, but on public ranges, I'm not sure how that would work out. It's not unusual to have strays and ricochets hitting my my paper targets . . . mainly when I'm shooting at 100 - 200 yds. And I shoot a lot of shooting at 200 yd public ranges.
Agree, no way I would put my etarget on a public range where some yoyo could just blast at it.

When I was younger, I would use the public ranges near here (Los Angeles). I can't put a number on the incidents of having someone else blast my target and frame. Many of those incidents were folks who had to swing over nearly 45 degrees to do it, so it wasn't an accident most of the time. There were some idiots, but some were hardcore gangsters. We would typically play dumb but caught them most of the time. I don't remember the last time I shot there....

beafeca3-9293-4ab0-b1e7-38bc315c2863

The rolls that midsouth shooters supply sells, are absolutely outstanding. The best money can buy I think.

Reactions: spife7980
Here I am, white-trashing it up on old cardboard box lids with Walmart white spray paint (use that for my steel targets) and a black sharpie. 😄

Works for me though.

20230201_151157.jpg

Reactions: OkieMike
Tactical:
TAC-0.1MIL-100m.jpg

hunting:
Hunt-1cm-100m.jpg

f-class:
FCLASS-1_8MOA-100m.jpg

SHOTMARKER for F-Class <700m; paper print on very thin plywood on smaller target:
SHOTMARKER-FClass-500m.jpg

but for SHOTMARKER at 1000m I have bigger target and I paint circles on cheap roller shade for window:
skogskloever-roller-blind-white__0602890_pe680584_s5.jpg

Great target ideas! I will say that the thin Styrofoam targets give the crispist holes!

Here I am, white-trashing it up on old cardboard box lids with Walmart white spray paint (use that for my steel targets) and a black sharpie. 😄

Works for me though.

View attachment 8066282
If you have a feed or farm/ranch store nearby (Atwood's, Tractor Supply, Orscheln's, etc...) They'll give you the cardboard flats that come on top of the pallets of feed. Saves them from having to load them in the cardboard baler.

Some are even white on one side... No spray paint.

10 or 20 minutes with a razor knife and you can make up a pile of targets, backers, or even IPSC silhouettes.

If you want to get real fancy... Go to Lowe's and get a roll of the adhesive carpet/floor protector. Paint the cardboard white, chartreuse, or neon orange. Adhere the floor protection film over it, then paint the film black... Poor man's "splatter targets" dirt cheap.

Mike

Reactions: diggler1833
Box to bench makes a cool target

If you have a feed or farm/ranch store nearby (Atwood's, Tractor Supply, Orscheln's, etc...) They'll give you the cardboard flats that come on top of the pallets of feed. Saves them from having to load them in the cardboard baler.

Some are even white on one side... No spray paint.

10 or 20 minutes with a razor knife and you can make up a pile of targets, backers, or even IPSC silhouettes.

If you want to get real fancy... Go to Lowe's and get a roll of the adhesive carpet/floor protector. Paint the cardboard white, chartreuse, or neon orange. Adhere the floor protection film over it, then paint the film black... Poor man's "splatter targets" dirt cheap.

Mike

Yep. We've definitely done the Lowe's boxes before to cover our garden, but that is great advice to anyone needing cardboard.

Wife is starting her own vet clinic, so I have access to a ton of boxes right now. Plus, I live so far out in the country that almost everything has to get shipped. I have about 30 of these box lids prepped up and ready for whenever I can sneak out of the house for an hour and blast away.

It has just occurred to me after this thread and the ProChrono thread, that apparently I'm ghetto AF regarding my supporting equipment provisions.

• Haha
Reactions: OkieMike
Yep. We've definitely done the Lowe's boxes before to cover our garden, but that is great advice to anyone needing cardboard.

Wife is starting her own vet clinic, so I have access to a ton of boxes right now. Plus, I live so far out in the country that almost everything has to get shipped. I have about 30 of these box lids prepped up and ready for whenever I can sneak out of the house for an hour and blast away.
My youngest boy works at TSC... His employee discount makes it nice when gun safes go on sale.

Find out which days they get freight. Just talk to them and they'll probably let anyone have all the cardboard they want.

Mike

I mostly use the old Spuhr ones, my preferred target is the 45 degree MIL target which is extremely easy to center in the reticle (for me at least, I realize this is highly subjective).

You can download it (and MOA version, and regular squares version) here, on the last page:
1675840059179.png