• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FCP-K OWNERS step inside (Savage 10)

headstrong

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2012
Wisconsin
Would like to see some other set-ups. please tell me what you've done or tried. Also what ammo is working for you and where to get it.

Re: FCP-K OWNERS step inside (Savage 10)

Just got mine. Not an FCP-K, but it is an FCP. Interested to.

I owned two, one in .223 and .308. I put the .308 in an XLR and it was a hammer. I got rid of it due to financial issues at the time. I, however, got to keep the .223 and I am super happy I did. That rifle is great! I shoot 75gr AMAX's to 800 with it.

Both rifles shot under MOA, easily.

A big, heavy-barreled and braked .223 is a bit overkill, but damn is it fun to varmint/target shoot with! Although it shoots great as is, I want to re-barrel it with a 7.5 or 8 twist and put it in an XLR or some other aftermarket stock.

If you want a factory rifle with a brake, do it, you will not regret it.

ETA - I guess I should have answered your question about loads. The .308, I was running the following:
LC Brass
41.2gr XBR 8208
CCI standard large rifle Primers (not BR)
175 SMK's

The .223 runs like a champ with the following:
Win brass
23.4gr XBR 8208
CCI standard small rifle primers (not BR)
75gr AMAX's

I also shoot a bunch of 55gr Nosler Varmageddon's for our ground squirrel plague, rock chucks, and any other critters that need a hug.

I have a 16, which is same as the 10 only stainless. Heres my setup:

Savage model 16 300WSM LH
Factory 24" barrel with aftermarket muzzle brake
Factory accutrigger set to 1.5lbs (Used to have a Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger, but I moved that to my 110)
EGW base with Burris XTR rings
Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EMDR scope
Stockade PD/T stock with Stockade bottom metal and bolt handle

It looks nice, shoots nice and is my favorite gun, also didn't break the bank with this one. I only use reloads on this gun, but my go to hunting load is the 200gr. Barnes LRX at a 2.920" OAL, gives about 2965fps. Heres How my 110 that I am putting together is going to look:

Savage 110 Long action
24" 243Win Varmint contour barrel/25.25" 284 Heavy sporter Benchmark barrel
Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger set to 1.5lbs
EGW Base, Millet rings (going to be upgrading the rings)
Nikon Monarch 4-16 scope
Stockade Elk stalker or Rollover thumbhole

The 110 is still coming together, still need to get the scope and stock for it, but this is what I am going for. Unfortunately they Stockade doesn't make the rollover thumbhole for varmint contour barrels, so I might have to go with the Elk stalker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: headstrong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like to see some other set-ups. please tell me what you've done or tried. Also what ammo is working for you and where to get it. </div></div>
Tried the factory stock with a Kartsen cheek rest, PR Heritage 3-15x50, Harris bi-pod
021.jpg

but wanted more mag capacity and at the time there were no other options so now it rides in an XLR Chassis,
xlr003.jpg

Mine loves Fed Gold Metal Match 168gr, I bought a several cases at Palmetto State Armory a while back for great price, not sure where the deals are these days

Mine like 178 amax with 44.2 grains of varget. As far as modding. I had dropped it into a choate stock and put a SSS comp trigger onto it. Although, the trigger swap made removing the bolt a pain in the arse. I eventually put it back in its originally stock and put the accu-trigger back on. the FCP-K is a great out of the box rifle but not the most upgrade friendly (I.E. triggers).

Anything in the 175gr. range I think is perfect for the 308, I like the 178gr. BTHP match from Hornady a bit more than the A-max since it offers a higher BC.

Can anyone tell me if the factory magazine will fit and feed the 75 gr Amax on a .223 fcp-k

FCP-K 308
XLR Chassis
Bager 20 MOA Base
Badger Rings
Vortex PST 4-16 x 50
Atlas Bipod

Loves FGMM 168's under .5 moa AND fgmm 175's shine over 500 yards just starting to reloadhave not had time to get the best handload figured out yet.

Last edited:
Here is a pick of the above set up.

Group was the last 5 during the first day rounds 21-25. I pulled the one as my little guy decided it was a good time to grab my leg. Small hole was also him he was supposed to be shooting the right hand target. (he was only 6 at the time)

Attachments

• 100_5614.jpg
    100_5614.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_5689.jpg
    100_5689.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I'm glad I found this thread, Im milling over buying a new FCP K. My main draw back although very silly, is I absolutely do not like the stock design that comes from the factory. I've been trying to decide if it would be a better idea to try to get the FCP McMillan special ordered but then I wont get the brake....decisions decisions decisions.....

I had one and sold it for the funds. Wish I wouldn't have. That rifle would shoot any ammo I put through it. I have never seen a stock rifle shoot like that one. I wish I could say what ammo it liked--it liked everything!!!!

Bennyboy;i agree. My fcp10 hs loves 168 fgmm,175 fgmm,my 168 a-max,over 43gr rl 15,168gr nosler cc over 44gr varget ect.i fed it every thing i had and punched very small holes.........d-1

Got mine in 308, absolutely loves 168 smk loaded over cci primer and 44 grains of varget. Havent had to do anything but torque the action screws, drop some glass on it and add a stock pack with a bit of closed cell foam under to make the cheek weld right . regularly shoots 1/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards, and makes tagging 9 in steel plate at 600 yards childs play. Smallest group so far at 100 was with 168gr amax bullets over 42 gr. Varget measured .016 in.

.016"? have you submitted that for record? Because the current record for heavy varmint benchrest is somewhere around .050"...
That's pretty amazing! Best 5 shot group i ever made with my fcp-k was .19:
best308group.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Not much left of it now but at one time it was an fcpk

2vn5dzb.jpg

Last edited:
Not much left of it now but at one time it was an fcpk

2vn5dzb.jpg

Very nice! That's kinda how mine ended up. Removed brake, upgraded trigger, changed stock, changed bolt handle, etc. etc.
I have a savage HS precision that's in a metamorphosis process as well. The only thing staying factory is the safety mechanism, lol!
I think my next gun is gonna be a long action on a chassis system like yours.

I have one. Started life a standard FCP-K, then she recently got migrated to XLR Chassis. She shoots .5moa as long as I do my part.

Here is the set-up:
FCP-K
XLR Chassis
Harris bipod
Leupold 6.5-20 x 50 ER/T TMR
Accu-Shot monopod
Currently has A.R.M.S. throw lever rings but my Spuhr will be here tomorrow.
Warne Tactical Base

For ammo I load the following:
Lapua brass
IMR 4064 42.7 gr
SMK 180gr Match (also shoots SMK 190's Match and Berger 185 VLD's)
Federal Match Primers

Chassis2 by flyfishtn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice! That's kinda how mine ended up. Removed brake, upgraded trigger, changed stock, changed bolt handle, etc. etc.
I have a savage HS precision that's in a metamorphosis process as well. The only thing staying factory is the safety mechanism, lol!
I think my next gun is gonna be a long action on a chassis system like yours.

I wish I could replace that damn bolt release!

Here's my 10 FCP-K in .308

8BBF23DC-3D15-49B7-B084-0628A4828EEB-328-000000216B4AEAFA_zps0ccf2428.jpg

It's painted with Duracoat; Tactical Woodland Brown and Tactical OD Green with black Krylon Webbing paint.
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA
Textured the stock with Marine Tex
TPS Rings and Base

So far my best loads have been:

155 Berger VLD Hunting
44.5 gr RL15
Federal 210M
Lapua Brass
Seated .00" off lands

Getting 2815 FPS with this load

Here is a 200 yard group I shot with that load:

CDDB2171-5DBC-48EC-8A3F-3799A92F299F-328-00000022390C584E_zps9ee01edd.jpg

My .308 FLCP-K is 4 years old and remains stock, except for the Kydex cheek riser I made for it. It is the most accurate factory rifle I have owned.

168 grain A-Max
Winchester brass
Federal 215M
44.7 grain Varget
2.80 OAL
.015 off the lands

Last edited:
Mine is the Flcp-k which is just the left handed one. Its not decked out by any means, but it shoots like a champ! Since I am on an ipad, I am having trouble posting the picture in the comment. so you will have to just look at my avatar. This was a 3 shot group with hornady superformance 168 amax rounds. Had a varying 10 mph cross wind and was just laying in the back of my truck. Real solid gun. Especially for the price! :D

I won mine in a raffle and love it. I seems to really like Hornady Zombie Max (all I can find locally since the Rush) and shoots SWammunition 175 grain around .5 MOA. I have been using it in the field and I find that the 24" barrel is too much to lug around while suppressed. I should be getting it back on Monday after being chopped and rethreaded. I very seldom shoot over 600 yards so I do not think the shorter barrel will effect the usefullness. I will post up pics once it is back together. this is how it looked when I first put it together.

100_3171.jpg

I will come back and edit this post when I have less Vicodin in my system.

This thread just sealed the deal for me. Thank you. BTW, can the muzzle brake be removed and an AAC Brake be put on for a can?

Last edited:
This thread just sealed the deal for me. Thank you. BTW, can the muzzle brake be removed and an AAC Brake be put on for a can?

Yes, but it takes a little heat and a lot of effort. Once i got mine loose I'll be darned if it didn't wobble as i turned it to remove it. If you are looking to use a different brake I'd suggest just getting a regular FCP and having a Smith thread it for you.you'd be way better off.
And while you're at it you could find a non accustock version and not have to deal with the trigger guard bolt release.

My only problem which is a PITA is I'm a lefty so that's why this rifle caught my attention. It has everything I would do to a rifle, right twist rate, right caliber, right price but I'm not diggin' the sound of the headache it might cause just put a fucking AAC brake on it........damn.

I'm not saying it's impossible or that you won't have properly indicated threads, just that removing it takes a barrel vise, heat, and elbow grease.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm going back and forth here and my major hang ups are that, and correct me if I am wrong, you cannot change the DBM to use 10 round magazines although I know there is a company that makes them specifically for the Savage. My other hold up is stock choices. I like the XLR but I want to see if I could drop it into a McMillan or Manners.

There are at least three places to get 9-10 round magazines. Sharpshooter supply is one, darkeagle customs another, and a forum guy that goes by the name irocz or something like that.
Stock is not a problem. Manners, McMillan, hs precision can inlet for your factory bottom metal, CDI makes a bottom metal for bottom bolt release savages, or you can do what i did - order a side bolt release sear and have a Smith mill .078 off the side of the receiver to make it a more conventional savage:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369283297519.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369283297519.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 16
Nice. God bless you bodyworks. Thank you for the info. I'm a lefty so Im looking at the 10-FLCPK. I have 1 accurate mag and 2 alpha mags so I was hoping to use those but if i need to switch then no biggie. I'll call CDI and ask them how to go about revamping the rifle.

Nice. God bless you bodyworks. Thank you for the info. I'm a lefty so Im looking at the 10-FLCPK. I have 1 accurate mag and 2 alpha mags so I was hoping to use those but if i need to switch then no biggie. I'll call CDI and ask them how to go about revamping the rifle.

I've already been there. Their bottom metal for your style action is the same as their conventional bottom metal. The just mill a slot in the trigger guard to clear the release lever on your factory sear. Then they give you a release lever to jb weld onto your existing sear that puts your bolt release up by the receiver. People cringe at the thought of jb weld on their sear but i assure you it's no big deal. If you'd rather go the conventional route, I'm having my gunsmith order extra sears, and i believe he only charges an hour's shop labor to mill the receiver(like $50-60).

Yeah so I'm raising a thread from the dead, but happy to say I've acquired an XLR Element chassis which has been available for our Savages for only a couple months now. Very stoked with it on my 10 FLCPK in .308

I tried the disassemble and paint thing, it looked alright, but then I broke the accustock anyhow and looked into a chassis instead.
Here it was painted...

And here it is now...

I'm currently using a Bushnell 4.5-30X50 Tactical Elite scope and Leupold low rings. I don't have a comfortable cheek rest though, even with the chassis stock set on it's lowest setting. Waiting on a NF 20 moa base and rings. I'll obvisouly revisit this issue once everything arrives.
I'm also contemplating putting this Bushell onto my Weatherby Mark V in 338-378 and taking the NF NXS 3.5-15X50 MOAR off that gun to put onto the Savage 308...opinions on that?