• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Federal Gold Medal Match vs. Southwest Ammo

awz1287

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2011
North Carolina
hey, guys I've been looking to stock up on ammo so I can get to the range and try my new rifle out. I was always told that FGMM was the best ammo you can get. but I see people on here talking about southwest. how does it compare? the prices are much better at southwest 200/rd for $210.

on southwest whats the difference between the Run&Gun ammo, the Standard Match, and the Premium.
Is it just the brass? that's the only thing I see different.

also if I was to order a case, should I go with 175 gr. or 168 gr. for a Remington 5r mil-spec? I was looking around and people seem to say 175 gr. for this gun.

Re: Federal Gold Medal Match vs. Southwest Ammo

the only diffeence between all the SW stuff is the brass, i've used the standard 175s with grest success.

For your 5r, go with the 175s, however the 168s should shoot well also.

The SW Ammo shoots btter for mr compared to the 175 FGMM, but thats me. Besides, I like to support Hide vendors. Mike is also local too.

Between 168 vs. 175, i pick the 175. It should be fine with your 5R.

Palmetto has 168 for $18/box. Whether SW will run better in your rifle, you will have to try it to find out. FGMM is the benchmark on the average of most rifles.

168's supposedly become unstable when going back to subsonic whereas the 175's don't have the problem.

I vote for southwest and the 175smk win brass. They are venders here and serves my country.

Palmetto and SW are both Hide sponsors. Technically, the premium should have the edge, if all other things are equal, as the Lapua brass is more regular. In my rifle the 168FGMM is a bit more accurate than the 175SW Premium. The difference is so little that it is really meaningless in a practical sense and could be nothing more than good day bad day. I use the SW now because I want the Lapua brass. If you don't reload you would have no problem selling the brass.

I tried the RUN N GUN, which is LC brass, but it wasn't much of a test as I only bought one box. For what it's worth, it wasn't in the same league as the premium.

If both you and the gun are new, buy the most reasonable and start shooting. If the gun is new but you aren't than you already know the gun will tell you what it likes best.

Southwest was around 150 fps faster than GMM out of my 20 inch rifle

I'm a SW guy, my rifle seems to love the stuff and if I do my part they give me the most consistency that I've seen. Now that's out of the 175's but I've got the 1:10 twist. I've shot the 168 FGMM's with good results but not as tight of groups or as consistent across the chrono. I've also noticed that my dot drills were also not as consistent as the 175's SW's. Just my observations, and if anymore more learned than me wants to correct me if I've misspoke please feel free.

J

Out of my rifle the SWammo was as accurate but packed a better velocity and the SD was excellent. My 2cents.

A 1 in 12 twist is PERFECTLY FINE for 175's. In fact 180's shoot beautifully out of mine. I wish people would stop spreading the "you need a 1 in 10 or your screwed" crap.

Thanks for the help guys, I ordered some southwest 175 gr. smk yesterday, $221 shipped for 200 rounds. great deal, found a thread with coupon code for $1 a round. I went with the standard match. can't wait to test out my rifle, and see how my first try at this will come out...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boondocker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 5R is a 11.27 twist which is optimized for 175gr bullets. </div></div>

Thanks for the clarification! I'll fix my post.

My experience w/ SWA vs FGMM, SWA seems to shoot a little better for me.

However, SWA shot a little too hot for my tastes. I chrono'ed SWA 175 SMK's at ~2780 fps out of a 26" barrel. Too fast for 175 grain.

I just shot the fgmm out of my remington 700 police, which as far as i know has a 1-12 twist. Shot great out of the gun out to 1000 yds. Thinking about getting some of the sw as well, but was in a time crunch fr the match and picked up the federal locally.

From the posts in here I think we would both be good with the sw, just a matter of testing them both and seeing which one the gun prefers

The "standard" SW 175's grouped over twice as good as FGMM 175's out of my gun and the mv SD was great.

As mentioned, they answered all of my silly questions via pm's and phone(even though they sounded extremely busy).

I'll be back...fo show