• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal Gold Metal Match Brass Q

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
My load for the AR10 is 43gr of RE15 pushing a 178gr Hornady BTHP.

I have one batch of Federal Gold Metal Match brass that is on it's fifth firing. I am now starting to loose primers on ejection. (Federal GMM Primers)

Is this about normal with what you guys are seeing? I think it's about time to scrap this lot. No pressure signs, but I am not anxious to allow a primer to lock the rifle up.

Re: Federal Gold Metal Match Brass Q

LW,
I faced the same decision on my AR brass and scrapped them at that time, for the same reason. 4x-5x. I was accustom to getting 20-40 loadings with Lapua brass in my bolt rifles so it was a bit of a shock. Semi's are just tougher on brass IMO..
RTH

I only got 3 firings out of it. What's really fun is when the popped primer ends up in the barrel extension and the bolt hammers it into tinfoil.

Quit using fed brass and haven't had popped primers since.

In my experience, FGMM brass is softer than other brass. 4-5x reloads was the norm for me on it (using the same primers I might add)...especially when run through any semi-auto which seems to take and even greater toll on the brass as a whole. I don't use it for reloading much any more unless somebody just gives me a bag/bucket of it and then, it often gets run through my MSG-90 clone (delayed roller lock/HK-91 action precision rifle) after which it gets discarded anyway due to the beating it takes.

Ditto to what everyone has said so far. I use Winchester or LC brass in the semi-autos. Haven't tried the Lapua as I've left it for my bolt gun. (Makes it easier to seperate that way) I'm going to be trying some Hornady brass soon.

LC brass is a much better choice for the AR-10 platform than FC IMO. I'm on about my 6th reloading with my first batch of 100 for my AR-10 and other than 5-6 lost to loose primers all are still GTG. Three caveats though:

1. I use once fired machine gun brass and small base dies
2. I anneal before the first reload and every 3rd after that
3. I have a JP adjustable gas system on my AR-10 that is tuned for my load which is fairly mild (41.3gr IMR-4895 under 168gr SMK)

As said above FED brass is a bit soft.I get a bunch of it for free so I use it.One thing to try when you get around 4-5 loading's and the pockets get loose switch to Wolf primers.They seem to run a bit larger and will get you another few loading's.They happen to be very good primers to boot.

All the FGMM brass I am using was free. When I buy, I usually buy Winchester. I knew the FGMM was soft, I was just wondering if this was in line with what the rest of you guys are getting. I only popped about four primers out of 100 cases, so I may give this one more loading before I chuck it. No pressure signs so I am not worried about anything other than a primer gumming up the works. Even then, it's not a big deal during practice. Just don't want to blow a match when one finds it's way into the cam pin recess. I had that happen on a M4 with some XM193. Getting it apart was not fun.

I have a bunch of the FGMM brass from the "7.62x51" which seems like my LC brass, and not at all like the shiny stuff on the 308 ammo. Does anyone know if the 7.62 brass is different? Or just less polished?

How does FGMM brass hold up in bolt actions? Just curious as I am gearing up to load more precise .308 loads, and have been upgrading my reloading bench. So, LC and LC Match are good for AR10s? I have lots of all 3 saved up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jäger Wilhelm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does FGMM brass hold up in bolt actions? Just curious as I am gearing up to load more precise .308 loads, and have been upgrading my reloading bench. So, LC and LC Match are good for AR10s? I have lots of all 3 saved up. </div></div>

About the same. In all of my precision bolt guns (R700 actions), even with neck-sizing the brass, I could only get 4-5 reloads from FGMM. The primer pockets were the primary issue (got loose). My Lapua cases were good for 15+ reloads. To agree with the above comments, I save my "best" brass (Lapua) for bolt guns, and use LC (M118, Match, or LR) for my semi-autos. Easy way to keep them separated if they are tumbled together...

Agree with the others. I save the FGMM brass for the bolt guns and load new Winchester or LC for the semiautos.

You're doing better than most using a bolt gun.

Without a StoneyPoint/Hornady Headspace Gauge and bushings, I would never reload FED brass at all. Well hell, I do have one and I won't reload FED brass for my three AR-10s.

Without the SP/H Headspace Gauge rig, I would be more concerned of head separation at the swell. Gas Cut chambers suck the money out of the wallet.

Best to you, Kopfjäger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My load for the AR10 is 43gr of RE15 pushing a 178gr Hornady BTHP.

I have one batch of Federal Gold Metal Match brass that is on it's fifth firing. I am now starting to loose primers on ejection. (Federal GMM Primers)

Is this about normal with what you guys are seeing? I think it's about time to scrap this lot. No pressure signs, but I am not anxious to allow a primer to lock the rifle up. </div></div>

I was only able to get 3 loadings out of FGMM brass in my Savage with even a relatively light load of 42.5gr Varget & 175gr SMK's before the primer pockets loosened up too much.

Interesting thread - I have a lot of fed brass but haven't seen these issues on my reloads. I load mine with 43gr IMR 4064 and 168 SMK. Primers seem to slip in snugly when seating and they are not loose after firing, but maybe I don't have as many reloads through my brass as others. Most of mine are in the 4-6 reload range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redhooker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a bunch of the FGMM brass from the "7.62x51" which seems like my LC brass, and not at all like the shiny stuff on the 308 ammo. Does anyone know if the 7.62 brass is different? Or just less polished? </div></div>

Pretty sure it's just less polished. I wouldn't chuck it just wouldn't load it more than a couple times and don't load it too hot. Brass is cheap why try to squeeze another loading out of it when you can buy new brass and have it last twice as long?

As said by others, FGMM brass is just plain soft.
I don't even bother picking it up and processing it.
LC LR brass is my choice.
The only down side is slightly reduced case capacity due to it being so thick.

I guess the take home message here is most only use FGMM only when it is free. That is what I do but only in the AR's. I only use Lapua or Win in the bolt guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting thread - I have a lot of fed brass but haven't seen these issues on my reloads. I load mine with 43gr IMR 4064 and 168 SMK. Primers seem to slip in snugly when seating and they are not loose after firing, but maybe I don't have as many reloads through my brass as others. Most of mine are in the 4-6 reload range. </div></div>

I would be happy with 6 reloads out of any 308 brass.

Tula/Wolf primers are slightly larger, worth a try if the brass is still in good shape.

I was standing next to a friend shooting crappy Egyptian 8mm ammo through his beautiful MG42. KA-BOOM! Burst receiver.

That was an inexpensive lesson.... inexpensive for <span style="text-decoration: underline">me</span>, <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> for him.... about "saving money" cutting corners.

Federal brass has gotten much harder. Several years ago I would not even run the commercial ammo in a gas gun.

Frankly I don't run much more than 4 reloads of any type of brass.

The Federal 7.62mm marked stuff is used in the Mk316 Mod0 (AB39) and the brass is good - but the primers are crimped in - which may cause some folks heartburn.

Just FYI, I'm using the newer lots of GMM with the blue primer lacquer. I have a few cases that are on their 9th reload in a bolt gun.

In my SR-25, I'm lucky to get 2 loadings of the older GMM brass. That rifle just beats brass bad. I have better luck with Winchester, Remington and Hornady in that rifle.

FGMM brass is soft and like you I get it free (Same reason I suspect :))

I have had within 2 loadings same results with Win too.

The best thing for Semi's is LC 7.62 Brass. Problem is you have to rework your load if your on the edge with .308 brass becuse you will go overpressure with the same charge. Also most LC brass has some neck problems that can be cured with turning.

The best thing to find is a source of once fired M118 with LC brass. All other LC brass seems to have came out of a M60

If you are wanting to reload your brass stay away from federal brass, it doesnt matter what you are shooting it in, it is junk and will cause nothing but headaches because it will not hold primers, sometimes after being fired once. You would be better off selling it on gunbroker and buying any other brass. If you are wanting to get good brass cheap buy lake city, then buy a dillon super sweager for the military crimp and that brass will last.

I guess a bad rap will stick longer than a fix even with the Al Gore's internets.

Thanks for the only opinion/update on Fed Brass that I can respect... besides my input, of course.

Again, thanks, KB. For your past, present and future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Federal brass has gotten much harder. Several years ago I would not even run the commercial ammo in a gas gun.

Frankly I don't run much more than 4 reloads of any type of brass.

The Federal 7.62mm marked stuff is used in the Mk316 Mod0 (AB39) and the brass is good - but the primers are crimped in - which may cause some folks heartburn.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tula/Wolf primers are slightly larger, worth a try if the brass is still in good shape. </div></div>

here is a list I made a while back so current production may vary:

Rem 9 1/2 -----------.211
CCI 34 --------------.212
wolf -----------------.211
magtech 9 1/2 --------.212
WLRM --------------- .209
WLR ----------------- .206
CCI BR2 -------------- .211

no idea of the size of FGMM but if you go to one of the larger primers you may easily be tight for another 5 cycles

if you do not want to mess with it and this is a good sized batch of 308 brass, I will gladly pay shipping and something for your trouble on the chance that it can work for a while yet

Any of you guys who don't like/don't trust FC .308 or 7.62 cases, I could stand another 500 or so, and would gladly pay $25 plus flat rate shipping to take it off of your hands.

Regarding case capacity, some FC I picked up while in college was indeed lighter than LC, and holds more water. But the more recent stuff* runs well less than 1.0 grain from the water capacity of LC Match, Ball and Special Ball. My chrono can't tell a difference larger than the normal random variations between strings from one single batch of reloads (Sds are only in the teens, ES as low as 16.1 and as high as 55.7, usually around 30 fps IIRC. All 5-round strings.)

*The older stuff runs about 58.3 grains water capacity. Newer FC has averaged 56.8, LC was 56.33 and 56.26 (two separate sessions from the same lot of brass), FA Match (old XM118) was exactly the same as LC's 56.26.

Like mjh said try the Wolf primers, I can usually get one more load out of my brass with a Wolf primer. Or just save that brass for the next match you go to that you wont be able to pick up your brass, load it with Wolf and let it fly.

Like you, I found that the GMM brass is pretty soft, and primer pockets go long before the LC, or Lapua case primer pockets go.

The capacity of the Federal GMM cases I used were the same as LC, and LC match cases. Weight of the cases was about the same, as was the water capacity. So I used the same powder charge, and found that they produced the same velocity, and same point of impact.

But, although the Federal GMM cases shot very accurately, the simply don't last all that long.

When buying cases, I try for LC Match first, then LC ball cases, and lastly Federal GMM. I found a fellow at one of my old gun clubs who had thousands of cases of unfired, never been primed LC cases, and LC match cases. I bought all I could afford, and he still had a few thousand left, but that was years ago.