• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feedback on OCW workup for 338 LM please

gasdoc09

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Virginia
Just bought a TRG-42 chambered in 338 LM and decided to try out the OCW method for working up a load. I tried it once before with a .308 rifle but didn't get better results than my other approach, which was to load up a whole bunch of rounds and shoot a whole bunch of 5 & 10 shot groups.

Anyway,
- new Lapua brass
- Federal 215M primers
- Retumbo powder, 92 - 98 grains in 1 gr increments (3 each)
- 250 gr Lapua scenar bullets

Cases were neck sized only with a Redding 365 bushing. All cases were 2.720" in length. Bullets were seated to an OAL of 3.612".

Shot 3 of each charge weight in round robin fashion at 200 y after zeroing with some factory ammo.

Velocity data -

338-velocity.jpg

POI data (eg, the 93 gr 3-shot group averaged .24" right and .05" high of my point of aim) -

338-avg-poi.jpg

The velocity curve flattens a bit at around 96 grains, and there's an average POI cluster in the 95-96-97 area, so it looks like 96 grains or thereabouts is the sweet spot for this rifle.

The first groups were OK, nothing spectacular but as I understand it the OCW method instructs us to not get hung up on absolute group size at this point. 1.2" @ 95 gr, 2.3" @ 96 gr, and 2.1" @ 97 gr (at 200y, so right around MOA).

A few questions

1) Any comments or suggestions, I'm new at this.

2) Should I next try adjusting seating depth, or vary the charge weight around 96 in smaller increments?

3) Any point in changing the neck size bushing to mess with neck tension?

4) The suppressor is sitting at my dealer, waiting on the ATF. Will I need to start the load workup over at square one after I pick up the can and start using it?

Thank you.

Re: Feedback on OCW workup for 338 LM please

Nice graphing! I'm new at the OCW meathod, but 96gr looks great to me. I would load up 10rds at 96gr, and shoot a few 5 shot groups, it may be all you need. I shot a test for my .308, and the charge I went with shot a .800" OCW group, but shoots under 1/2" at a 100 yards.