• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feedback on results IMR 4350/175 SMK 30-06, 24 inch 1:10 Douglas

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    1625565059909.png

1625565099670.png

100 yards, 3 shot groups....

1625565176260.png

300 yards, same loads, two "ladder" style targets with velocities marked on targets....

1625565290207.png

Target 1

1625565354489.png

Target 2

1625565443554.png

Individual velocities in notes....

1625565521725.png

The 168 grn FGMM target for reference.....

1625565571967.png

Was the intent to run an OCW? If so, Why did you choose .5 grain increments?

Typically I’ll do OCW using in .3g increments in charge weight as it’s a nice balance of spacing but still tight enough to see a harmonic node(s), which from my experience is typically .7-9 grains wide over 3 groups where the center of the three rounds POI-wise is the same direction/distance relative to the POA.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend you do an OCW with a magnetospeed attached since it may influence your results and muddy the waters when initially trying to identify the node(s).

Last edited:
    You have to take the magneto speed off. Nothing is determinable until you do. It’s a waste of time.

Reactions: op8ed
    Testing at 100 yards was without the Mspeed.

When I shoot with Mspeed it tends to group well but consistently .5" high at 100.

I get it though it interferes with harmonics.

I was surprised by the speeds I was getting with little signs of pressure.

My preshooting impression was 2550 to 2650 was where I would find nirvana - shots 1 through 4 indicate that may be a good hunch.

Wish I had of started lower.

Velocity fans will disagree with good reason.

@MontanaMarine had a lot of good 30-06 data I would lurk on.

Im not looking to beat the rifle or myself up. Rarely will I get to shoot beyond 300 but I intend to make an effort to get 1000 with this rifle if the blocks will get me there.

Reactions: op8ed
    Was the intent to run an OCW? If so, Why did you choose .5 grain increments?

Typically I’ll do OCW using in .3g increments in charge weight as it’s a nice balance of spacing but still tight enough to see a harmonic node(s), which from my experience is typically .7-9 grains wide over 3 groups where the center of the three rounds POI-wise is the same direction/distance relative to the POA.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend you do an OCW with a magnetospeed attached since it may influence your results and muddy the waters when initially trying to identify the node(s).

Not a strict OCW.....Ive done the .3 increments before and at the end of it I feel like Ive eroded so much headspace that my results have changed.

My 100 yard groups didnt expose any great issues. On that data alone I would go for 55.5 and the one hole group it made.

But....

At 300 getting velocity numbers shots 1-4 are close to MOA and they are in that sweet spot for 175 SMKs velocity wise.

Not a strict OCW.....Ive done the .3 increments before and at the end of it I feel like Ive eroded so much headspace that my results have changed.

My 100 yard groups didnt expose any great issues. On that data alone I would go for 55.5 and the one hole group it made.

But....

At 300 getting velocity numbers shots 1-4 are close to MOA and they are in that sweet spot for 175 SMKs velocity wise.
    Eroded headspace? Do you mean to say “throat”?

I don’t see a truely stable node in that first image of the 100 yard groups but because you did .5 it isn’t likely I would simply because your increments are too coarse

here is my AXMC 300 Norma OCW using the 215 Berger. Look at 81.9, 82.2 and 82.5. What do they all have in common?

AAFA588D-7D4C-4F05-ADEB-96D9D892A46F.jpeg

At this stage of the process I’m only looking for ttheee things: muzzle velocity, impact patterns and pressure. I’m not concerned about group size or sd/es at this initial stage.

Spotting your pressure threshold with a given set of components: measure your unfired rounds on the case just above the extractor groove. Then measure again after firing and note the expansion. Anything above .0005 indicates pressure. Use a 1” micrometer with ball anvils for beat results but a good set of calipers will also work.

Last edited:
    I'm not sure why you are even worried about groups when you have a Magnetospeed. I can find a couple nodes in 12 shots fired into a ditch bank with that. Tighten the groups with seating depth testing once you have your node. A to Z load development in 30 rounds.

• Haha
    Reactions: Slides
    You have consistent POI from 55.5-56.5 and also from 53.5-54 and possibly 54.5 would be in the same dispersion. When over layed the groups would be a little over 1 MOA for the three charge weights. I would run OAL testing @54g or 56g if those didn't show any pressure.

Testing at 100 yards was without the Mspeed.

When I shoot with Mspeed it tends to group well but consistently .5" high at 100.

I get it though it interferes with harmonics.

I was surprised by the speeds I was getting with little signs of pressure.

My preshooting impression was 2550 to 2650 was where I would find nirvana - shots 1 through 4 indicate that may be a good hunch.

Wish I had of started lower.

Velocity fans will disagree with good reason.

@MontanaMarine had a lot of good 30-06 data I would lurk on.

Im not looking to beat the rifle or myself up. Rarely will I get to shoot beyond 300 but I intend to make an effort to get 1000 with this rifle if the blocks will get me there.
    In that case I’d be looking around 3&4. That’s where she wants to shoot. I’d expand the range by bookending those loads by a tenth or two and splitting them. So five rounds of five different loads total. I’d shoot those 25 rounds round robin and find the middle of the sweet spot. I would verify and tune seating depth using the two closest to the center.

Today I checked out the sub 52.5 powder range, an area I estimate to be between 2550 -2650 velocity based off my previous data.

I like it....

l4Ahw0Cl.jpg

hRiuduql.jpg

dFeJNR2l.jpg

2Za4V2Xl.jpg

DlEih2ql.jpg

vXt1o4Zl.jpg

Tomorrow I will see what happens in the 54 to 55.5 +/- range.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Velocity is not always happiness...

ckJAQrYl.jpg

Gonna have to get some Sig Sauer 175 ammo velocities though because that shit delivers...yesterday and today, 5 round groups.

LXdmdr9l.jpg

NuhA0r8l.jpg

O0iBkxOl.jpg

I think from yesterday 52.2 is going to be my load...

l4Ahw0Cl.jpg

cnSfXn2l.jpg

JuDw3bCl.jpg

m9wMpVWl.jpg

E3xLNA8l.jpg

Ud8Nho0l.jpg

52.2 I4350, 175 SMK with magnetospeed results....

pbhyZibl.jpg

I think 52.2 works and the numbers look good.

I think 52.2 4350, 175 will work.

300 yards today.

6CODPoIl.jpg

TcD5Upql.jpg

yCnUy33l.jpg

Xcw6IEYl.jpg

Next time, remember to set parallax, use 5.75 MOA elev. and .25 MOA R wind