• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feedback primer differences...

Beepy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
The Northwest Mountains
Does anyone have actual experience with any improvement in using match primers over standard? I know this topic has been beat to death before, but I'm looking for anyone who has actually seen a difference?

I have not personnaly seen any difference in FPS with my Chronograph from using Federal 210 versus 210M. I want to do more testing but for my shooting steel at distance I can't tell the difference. May be a Bench Rest guy can tell more of a difference but for the type of shooting that I do I say use either one but don't mix and match.

My personal experiences with large rifle primers has led me to believe that the only real difference is your confidence in your loads, ymmv. Now with small rifle primers,yes they make a big difference.
But as with any component change, back your loads off and work back up.

Hutch

swapping to CCI BR2's from WLR's I lost some velocity, but got a more consistent load with less ES and SD, and better vertical dispersion.

There is zero difference downrange, in my rifles, between a Tula LR, a CCI200 and a CCI BR2.

Sub'd. Very curious myself. Currently running Fed 205M with my accuracy rounds for a 223. Would love to know if there is a difference between the Fed 205M and the CCI #400 (SRP). It's only a few dollars in savings per 1k, BUT the CCI #400 might be a little easier to get.

There is zero difference downrange, in my rifles, between a Tula LR, a CCI200 and a CCI BR2.

I've found this the case as well. The BR crowd, where the difference in winning or loosing can be measured in "thousandth's" some find it necessary to use the BR or Match primers but then there are those who are winning with just standard Fed's or even Tula's.

with the small rifle primers its a matter of cup thickness and hardness. When playin around with small caliber wildcats, sudden pressure spikes can eat your ass. In that respect, I've grown very fond of cci 450's

Hutch