• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feeding from Accurate AI Mags in Bighorn Origin

Hunt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2005
Tennessee
I'm running an Origin in 6mm CM in a KRG Bravo using Accurate AICS mags. There tends to be some binding when attempting to chamber a round. If I push the bolt straight forward, it chambers more easily. If I put any side load on the bolt, it tends to not want to feed. Is there anything I should be adjusting with regards to the stock/mag fit to address this?

ETA: Another thing to mention is that the action is new and is the CM version, not stainless. I went back and checked with an empty mag and this may be more of an issue of the bolt "sticking" in the raceway when side loaded and nothing to do with the magazine. Hopefully with use, it will wear in.

Last edited:
Don’t side load the bolt.
Problem solved.
53E805E2-F7DE-46F4-9140-84EA7431EBE0.gif

Go run a savage for a few years, it will teach you how to properly run a bolt.

I found the best feeding mag in the Origin to be the Accurate mag.

Don’t side load the bolt.
Problem solved.
View attachment 7611724

Go run a savage for a few years, it will teach you how to properly run a bolt.
Ran a Savage. Didn't experience this. Nor have I on my Borden, Surgeon, Defiance or Remington to this degree. I'm not implying any of those actions are better (or worse). I also don't want to focus on how I run my bolt. I'd rather focus on my shot.

You’re going to need to determine exactly where in the cycle its hanging up. Unlike your other actions, the bighorn is crf. The case head doesn't just need to slide up the bolt nose as it enters the chamber. The case rim needs to slide under the extractor at the same time. There are several potential issues though. Magazine feed lips, the magazine presentation to the receiver, chamfer or lack of at the chamber opening/breech face, chamfer at extractor edge, case rim variations. Try to isolate these factors until you find what works. It could be several things in combination.

I have a couple of the Origin actions and one of them chambered in in 6.5 Creedmoor has a problem with hard feeding. I find that if I push down on th round it feeds properly. I am going to try doing some work on the feed lips and hope this does not affect the other actions. I use AICS and Accuriate magazines.

My TL3 tends to bind with outward sideways and or upward pressure while running the bolt. Downward is fine, inward is fine. It’s just a quirk. You should really only be applying straight in line force anyway.