• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feeding issues aw mag

Unrat3d

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2022
Canada
Hey guys, I have a whiskey 3 chassis, and zeus action, 6.5 creed. I trimmed the mag latch for my two aw mags. 1 feeds pretty good, not 100% yet but pretty close. The other always jams on the second to last round.
I’ve adjusted the springs on both, and on the mag that doesn’t feed as good and hangs up on the second to last round ive tried opening up the front of the lips very slightly, like 3-5 thou, and it seemed like it made it worse and it jammed right away. I tried closing the front very slight and it went back to jamming on the second to last.

I don’t have a feed lip tool, I just ordered one and today just used pliers.

Can anybody give advise as to what needs to be done? Another note, the mag that feeds better, the mag lips are more closed front and back than the one that is hanging up second to last round, and I figured it would have been the opposite.

The pic where the cast is extremely canted is the end result, amd the other pic I took when I saw the round start to deflect knowing it wasn’t going to feed and stoped mid feed so somebody could see when in the mag the round started to go bad in the lips.

Attachments

• 9FAC158C-BEA6-4900-9241-CAAFCFA4C7C2.jpeg
    9FAC158C-BEA6-4900-9241-CAAFCFA4C7C2.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 203
  • BBBA03C8-95D4-4A08-A17F-F8C87C9B17E9.jpeg
    BBBA03C8-95D4-4A08-A17F-F8C87C9B17E9.jpeg
    385.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Could it be possible that the Mag spring is in backwards?

What brand magazine is it?

As an FYI: that isn't an AW magazine. Maybe it's an AICS mag?

Could it be possible that the Mag spring is in backwards?

What brand magazine is it?

As an FYI: that isn't an AW magazine. Maybe it's an AICS mag?
No sir the spring is in correctly. The mag is Ai double stack 10 round.

One mag is feeding really good and has fed good after I lengthened the spring and had gone 10 times loading 10 rounds without failing. But when I load the mag while it’s in the gun through the ejection port it will not pick up rounds.

The other magazine has fed better since again adjusting the mag mag spring, but 95% of the time the second to last round always jams

My Zeus did the same thing, let me guess it only does it on the next to the last round? I bent the feed lip out on the end. Only the left side of seen from the butt stock and that helped. AW mags are touchy with the Zeus because of the feed ramp, Joel designed it for single feeding but the cut is for AW double. I'll go take a picture and see if that helps you

It works

Attachments

• IMG20220802153509.jpg
    IMG20220802153509.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG20220802153458.jpg
    IMG20220802153458.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG20220802153423.jpg
    IMG20220802153423.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 79
My Zeus did the same thing, let me guess it only does it on the next to the last round? I bent the feed lip out on the end. Only the left side of seen from the butt stock and that helped. AW mags are touchy with the Zeus because of the feed ramp, Joel designed it for single feeding but the cut is for AW double. I'll go take a picture and see if that helps you
Yep second to last round. Before it was jamming all the time and skipping rounds. I adjusted the mag spring and that seemed to really help and now it only jams on the second to last round.
The other magazine feeds good, it has some little issues in the beginning but again adjusted the mag spring and it seems to feed every time now. I’ve loaded the mag up 15 times and haven’t had it jam. BUTit seems when I load the mag while it in the rifle through the ejection port, it will have issues?????? So idk why that would be?

And also, idk if you would find this odd but the mag that feeds worse and has the problem on the second to last round actually has wider lips at the front and back. So idk why I would need to open them more when the one that works good is more closed??

Loading the mag through the rifle is touchy. You're probably hooking a round on the back of the mag. It happens to me too
As for the lips if you bend the entire lip it'll ride weird and still get stuck. You just need to bend the last 1/3. When the round tries to exit there isn't enough spring tension and the round kicks to the right and gets stuck on the barrel. If you just bend the last it'll allow the round to miss the barrel and go into the chamber. I will say the 6.5 cm feeds better than the 308 due to the neck angle. If you want send me your number and I can explain it better

Loading the mag through the rifle is touchy. You're probably hooking a round on the back of the mag. It happens to me too
As for the lips if you bend the entire lip it'll ride weird and still get stuck. You just need to bend the last 1/3. When the round tries to exit there isn't enough spring tension and the round kicks to the right and gets stuck on the barrel. If you just bend the last it'll allow the round to miss the barrel and go into the chamber. I will say the 6.5 cm feeds better than the 308 due to the neck angle. If you want send me your number and I can explain it better
Appreciate you. So bend both lips out about a 1/3. It’s weird because I tried be ding it out like 2-5 though yesterday and I think it made it worse?

And i make sure I load it through the chamber correct to where no round is off the back. I notice after I load it and push the magazine up again it will feed. And if I don’t tap it it’s a hit or miss, sometimes feeds perfect loading though the ejection sometimes not, but if I tap it it does. Don’t really know what’s going on with that?

And does it makes sense to you why the mag that is more closed on both ends of the lips is working better? That’s confusing to me. I have to open the lips up to get the second to last round to feed but the lips are already more open than the other mag that works good. Confusing

Last edited:
Only the left lip. When viewed from the butt stock. The right lip is fine. Don't touch the right lip. Almost .015 bend. Look at my picture and you can see my crappy bends.
As for port loading when you push the round in then pull them back towards the rear of the mag. It takes a little practice but it will work and become second nature. Or you can take a grinder to the feed ramp lol

Only the left lip. When viewed from the butt stock. The right lip is fine. Don't touch the right lip. Almost .015 bend. Look at my picture and you can see my crappy bends.
As for port loading when you push the round in then pull them back towards the rear of the mag. It takes a little practice but it will work and become second nature. Or you can take a grinder to the feed ramp lol
Why do you think one mag needs that done and the other doesn’t?
And yea idk why the port loading is being a pain, I load them perfectly 100% without a doubt but the bolt will sometimes skip the round or jam. It if I tap the bottom of the of the magazine after port loading there isn’t any issue. So i can’t figure it out

When you're port loading the rounds are getting too close to the fwd wall, try loading one and then sliding it back to the aft. It'll help. As for the mag lips differing from mag to mag. They're stamped steel. AI probably built them with that tolerance in mind. But you're using a 700 action in an aftermarket chassis it happens.

Reactions: Unrat3d