• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feel "trapped" in Facebook?

Re: Feel "trapped" in Facebook?

Want to stop logging in to facebook?

Stop it!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYLMTvxOaeE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYLMTvxOaeE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I removed 122 "Friends", Sorry John Boyette, cleaning house.
I'm going back removing all LIKES - this shit sticks with FB...

remove it first, clean the profile, deactivate - takes two weeks I believe to delete it but I believe the data is around a lot longer.

Friends, photos gone, removing "LIKES"........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I removed 122 "Friends", Sorry John Boyette, cleaning house.
I'm going back removing all LIKES - this shit sticks with FB...

remove it first, clean the profile, deactivate - takes two weeks I believe to delete it but I believe the data is around a lot longer.

Friends, photos gone, removing "LIKES"........
</div></div>

Once the "Timeline" feature hit a few months ago, FB cashed everything so even if you remove it, it's still there and retrievable from their servers.There was a big push on Consumerist prior to the Timeline feature going live to have people delete everything that was personal because after Timeline went live it was impossible to delete it. Facebook is a data mining company.

My blog contains my real name and address. It also contains only what I want it to as there is a concerted process of posting anything. No drunken "f the so and so" or the like. FB got deleted sheesh.. over a year ago? or something. It's pointless.

I never understood the "keep in touch with people" excuse. Do people not own phones and have email accounts, or snail mail?

If someone wants to keep in touch, they can give me a damn phone call.

Delete FB and see how many actual friends you have. Likely case is about 1% of current belief.

The deactivate button is bullshit, there's another button you can push if you want to leave permanently (so those buttholes say). Once that button is pushed they give you three weeks to change your mind, after that your supposedly history, everything deleted and you cannot come back. That's the button I chose. You find that button the in same area as the deactivate stuff.

You can leave but all your posts, photos and everything belong to them forever.......

when I had one about 3 years ago I just sucked it up and did it the hard way, deleted every friend, deleted every picture, deleted all posts in my history, and untagged all photos. It was a pain but that compelled me to never do it again.

Facebook is a treasure trove of information for intelligence services. It also opens you up to serious exploitation attempts....if you are in a combat position or have a high level security clearance NO FACEBOOK. or social media of any kind. period.

It is what you make of it.

I find it useful for keeping up with news that has been filtered by likeminded "friends". Also I've found it to be useful to reconnect with people from my past. And it's downright useful to annoy some folks.
grin.gif
Oh, and don't forget, you can also spread disinformation and misinformation, whatever suits your fancy.

Some of it is downright silly, but that's easy enough to get around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If someone wants to keep in touch, they can give me a damn phone call.
</div></div>
haha Anytime someone asks me if I have Facebook, that's the answer I give them!

Twitter is the real mind-boggler for me! Do people really think they are important enough that I give a shit if they are "LOL waiting in line at Wal-mart"!?

Different strokes I guess...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Once the "Timeline" feature hit a few months ago, FB cashed everything so even if you remove it, it's still there and retrievable from their servers.There was a big push on Consumerist prior to the Timeline feature going live to have people delete everything that was personal because after Timeline went live it was impossible to delete it. Facebook is a data mining company. </div></div>

I did housecleaning prior to Timeline as well.
Yep they are a data mining company.

Here's the real thing - when you CLOSE Facebook and open a new browser and go to say I dunno, some shoes website - they have this little "Like us on FB" thing - it contains an object that pulls your cookie up, and it can personally identify you by your login - now that fires up from FACEBOOK so FACEBOOK sees you are the shoe store - and then they attach that to your profile and sort you out as someone who buys shoes.

next thing you know, you are seeing SHOE ads when you cruise the web..

So always log OUT of facebook first and delete cookies, or use an IN PRIVATE BROWSING session LOL...they would not want everyone doing that!

Now the added plus of FB is that you can hook up wiht old friends, met up with an old buddy of mine recently.

Re. advertising and annoying ads, once I installed "Adblock"

http://adblockplus.org/en/

EZ to install and also free, all of the ads that used to follow me around suddenly vanished......even now on SH, there are no side bar ads showing, have to go to sponsors, vendors to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xray9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re. advertising and annoying ads, once I installed "Adblock"

http://adblockplus.org/en/

EZ to install and also free, all of the ads that used to follow me around suddenly vanished......even now on SH, there are no side bar ads showing, have to go to sponsors, vendors to see. </div></div>

Rule #1: You do not talk about AB+. Those who know, know and those who do not: generate revenue for our favorite site owner.

This is all true and browsing is much better with Adblock+ but I think what ArticLight said about sites with those little FB icons pulling info supersedes AB+ because it's working in a different realm, my point being that we're still under constant attack but progs like AB+ help a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here's the real thing - when you CLOSE Facebook and open a new browser and go to say I dunno, some shoes website - they have this little "Like us on FB" thing - it contains an object that pulls your cookie up, and it can personally identify you by your login - now that fires up from FACEBOOK so FACEBOOK sees you are the shoe store - and then they attach that to your profile and sort you out as someone who buys shoes.</div></div>

Damn that's shady. So in essence, unless you delete your cookies all the time you're essentially logged into FB and tracked every site you hit. Fuckers but I guess you get what you pay for...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Facebook is a treasure trove of information for intelligence services. It also opens you up to serious exploitation attempts....if you are in a combat position or have a high level security clearance NO FACEBOOK. or social media of any kind. period. </div></div>

Since when? I had a Secret and know people with a TS and they have a FB account. Hell, our old brigade commander had a Facebook. When I was deployed we'd use FB to get a hold of soldiers all the time. If Afghanistan the .gov issued us local cell phones, they're last concern is FB. Ya, every one gets a brief from JAG about posting OPSEC stuff but EVERYBODY has a FB account in .mil. You think this forum is any different? Everything we write on here is no longer our property, it belongs to who runs the servers for this place. Everything you post on FB is they're property. You can't delete it, can't make it go away, ever. Read the small print when you open an account.