• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FFFFF

Re: 7MM magnum as a SNIPER ROUND

bullets..anything with a high BC, Hornady Amax 162gr, Berger 168gr or 180gr, Sierra Matchking 175gr....

7mm Rem Mag has great range and is a very potent round. Just doesn't have the barrel life of the 308 or 6.5x47Lapua or 260 remington. Plus the belted magnum is a drawback for some due to reloading issues and brass life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIGTWO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just want to get some opinions on the use of the 7mm magnum as a sniper round.</div></div>

The Secret Service used it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIGTWO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just want to get some opinions on the use of the 7mm magnum as a sniper round.</div></div>

The Secret Service used it. </div></div>

Yep, one of my reloading manuals mentions this and states that the SS has a stringent standard for 1000 yd accuracy, but they've since switched to 300 WM, due to better wind deflection.

Still, the 7 RM is a nice cart. I'm working on a 1k load using 162 Hornady HPBT National Match and 168 SMKs (because I have these in stock presently,) but I may sport for some of the 162 AMAX due to its higher BC.

Chris

The switched to .300 for the availability of frangible bullets, or so I have heard.

7mm is a great accurate long range round, as long as you are hand loading since there are very few offerings available from the factory with the heavy slugs to make the distance...

I have used mine for 800 yard shots and its flatter then a 308, but with the cost of short barrel life (2k-3k is not unheard of to burn out a 7mm barrel)and a lot more recoil.

I have since switched to a 260 rem for reaching out to the 1k mark as its flatter then either the 308 or the 7mm rem mag, has less recoil, and even at the 1k mark its bringing more then enough energy to do the deed...

The 260 is flatter than the 7RM? Wow!
I think I need to check that one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 260 is flatter than the 7RM? Wow!
I think I need to check that one. </div></div>

The 260 is only flatter than the 7mmRM if the 7mmRM is running 175 ROUND NOSE @ 2500 FPS............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NYresq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have since switched to a 260 rem for reaching out to the 1k mark as its flatter then either the 308 or the 7mm rem mag, has less recoil, and even at the 1k mark its bringing more then enough energy to do the deed... </div></div>

Did you bump your head before you wrote this?

I have to agree with 7mmRM, especially the remark about a .260 having more energy? I always thought higher velocity and higher weight equaled more energy? Who knew?
smile.gif

Not to knock the 260, but It realy isn't even in the same league as the 7mag.

The way I see it is why suffer more recoil when all you have to do is turn the knob a little more? I'm not nockin the idea of the 7mm but a .308 will shoot 1000yrds with half the recoil of the magnum. Sure you can put a brake on it but then your spotter will hate you and it's as loud as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The way I see it is why suffer more recoil when all you have to do is turn the knob a little more? I'm not nockin the idea of the 7mm but a .308 will shoot 1000yrds with half the recoil of the magnum. Sure you can put a brake on it but then your spotter will hate you and it's as loud as hell. </div></div>

a heavier bullet with a higher bc traveling at a higher velocity is going to be far more forgiving to mistakes in wind estimation. the faster bullet will also be more forgiving to mistakes in range estimation. there is a trade off with every thing. more recoil but far better ballistics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The way I see it is why suffer more recoil when all you have to do is turn the knob a little more? I'm not nockin the idea of the 7mm but a .308 will shoot 1000yrds with half the recoil of the magnum. Sure you can put a brake on it but then your spotter will hate you and it's as loud as hell. </div></div>

My 308s kick as much as my 7wsm's......

Now shoot someone else except a 308 and let me know how you feel. Were there any 308's in the TOP at Big Rifles Only match?

The REAL statistics are (Thanks Chuck)
7mm mag 150 gr 19.2 lbs recoil
308 150gr 15.8 lbs recoil
Hardly 50% less (and no 150 308 will ever equal a
7 mag 150!)
Also in a 12 pound sniper rifle, the difference would
never be noticed.
I'll bet a 170 7mm and 208 308 are almost the same recoil.
BUT the 7 will outrange the 308 a lot.