• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FFL Question

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have never had any work done on any of my rifles that wasn't done by a local gunsmith.

Were I to choose to send a rifle off to "x" gunsmith to have work done (action trued, whole 9 yards), will I have to ship through an FFL and pay the extra transfer fees to and from said gunsmith? Or does the fact that the firearm is not changing ownership negate the need to ship through an FFL?

Re: FFL Question

You can ship to them and they can return to YOU without a FFL being in the middle. Provided the gunsmith you are sending it to is an FFL.

what they said, just a word of caution, I would suggest removing the barreled action from the stock as it will fit into a smaller shipping package then if assembled. many of firearms a year a stolen because somewhere along the process people know what is inside. I had a handgun stolen wile at the ups facility. some employee recognized the address the package was coming back from (s&w in MA) and had a friend sign for it at the desk.
also make certain you insure the gun and take photos of the gun to protect yourself, also you must adhere to strict shipping policies of UPS, they can not pick up at your door, you have to go to a UPS center for shipping.

+1, I think the rule is to/from a gunsmith or gun manufacturer you don't need to have an FFL. From my experience, most folks working at the shipping stores don't know that's the law and give you tons of crap if you tell them its a gun. Usually when they ask me what is in the box, I tell them that its sporting goods equipment.

Shawn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was told by smith & wesson shipping dept. that if asked say, "its machine parts"</div></div>

No offense, but IF it is perfectly legal to ship the firearm (meaning you aren't trying to avoid their policies of overnight or dealer requirements), trying to tell the courier that you are shipping something you aren't seems to be a very bad idea to me. Say the package gets lost, and you are required to show some sort of proof of value to the courier to get your insurance money? Hmmm, yeah good luck

If asked, I always tell them it's "precision machined goods". However, I usually don't get asked.

I don't know about you guys, but the last couple rifles I shipped from UPS, I was asked for my FFL and the receivers FFL. Never had that happen in the previous 4 years.

From the ATF

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

It may be worth noting that scanned or faxed copies of an FFL are now legal for shipping. My favorite local FFL supplies me with a PDF file of his FFL, which I can email to someone sending me a firearm. They can print it for the shipper.

I think as gun owners we have a responsibility to not be douche bag liars. If the UPS policy is that they won't ship a firearm unless there are FFLs involved, then why try to get around that... all it takes is for them to start discovering these shipments (yes, sometimes it is as easy as connecting shipments to firearm manufactures or stores) are taking place, and bam, all gun guys are douche bag liars.

Instead of trying to get one over on couriers, why not just support ones that allow firearm shipments? Why not be informed and try to help inform the couriers? I know I know, that would be stupidly responsible...

You are insuring the gun, you are sending an email prior to shipping to the receiving party informing them of exactly what firearm, serial number will be arriving and how it will be shipped. Again, I had a gun stolen at the ups facility when it was on the way back to me from s&w. The upper managment/theft dept are first rate and have a complete protocol to follow. The firearm was located after a "friend of the back counter person" signed my name, and like a dumbass did it while being recorded. ATF was notified and the parties involved are no longer affiliated with UPS and have severe legal issues to contend with in the coming months.

As for the word "machined parts" both s&w and freedom arms suggested this is the responce should I be asked a question from the shipper. You are not lying as UPS wont pick up via policy firearms from your home, you have to drop them off wrapped securly at the local depot facility.
just my 02