• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP scopes,what brands do U recommend?

Arevalosocom

Wizard
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2007
Hobart, IN
Basically for a 50BMG and a 308.

I'm looking for something like this:

Best bang for the Buck = X

Best medium priced scope = Y

Best top end priced scope = Z

TIA. I look forward to first hand opinions.

Re: FFP scopes,what brands do U recommend?

BFB: SWFA Super Sniper (any of them)
Low: Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50
Med: Premier Heritage 3-15x50 or 5-25x56
High: Schmidt & Bender or Zeiss Hensoldt

best bang for the buck would be a IOR Valdada 2.5-10x42,
best mid range would also have to be a IOR Valdada,
and best high end are USO
(as usual these are all opinions)

just because there HAVE been problems with them, does not mean they are bad scopes. All i have seen about the coveted Vortexx scopes on this site is major problems, and there are a thousand of us waiting in line for the PST. The glass is AMAZING for the price on IOR scopes. As stated, it is all Opinions. I have had nothing but GREAT luck with IOR scopes.

X- Nightforce
Y- Nightforce
Z-Personal opinions abound

I wouldnt say that...I think that is a sensitive subject for lowlight

popcorn.jpg

wink.gif

BFB: USO
Midlevel: USO
Top Tier: I haven't owned S&B or Hensoldt personally so I gotta say USO.

Just my opinion.

If I could have confidence in an IOR, they would be a great scope. Perfect examples of what happens if you try to play the clarity game at the expense of reliability.......

I dont think thats enough popcorn, but I do agree with your scope choices
laugh.gif

I don't have experience with these scopes. I have just been doing a lot of reading.

For a fifty,
X-Nightforce NXS, a lot of travel available, good glass and choices of good recticle for long range. It is also proven to handle the big fifty without issues.
I know guys that have put Leupold Mark 4 through the paces without issues but the NXS seems to be the more popular way to go. I personaly have a SS 20X on my fifty. I'm not fond of the clarity(dark and hazy next to one of my Leupolds), I had to loctite down the turrets since I had shook them loose from the recoil.
Y-I would say medium priced is relative and say that the NXS and Mark 4's are close in this line with the Mark 4's saving you a couple hundred.
Z-From my reading S&B

my personal opinion for the money i don't see how you can beat the mark 4 , as far as the vortex's don't think they have been on the scene long enough to even have a track record to be decided whether good or bad. would also have to say nightforce. if you are rich then sb or us optics.

i would not put Nightforce in the same league as Zeiss and S&B sorry.

They came almost stone last in light transmission tests against some mediocre scopes from middle road brands

But what they lose in glass they try and make up in tacti-cool features.

i have yet to use a Zeiss but my S&B PH that i owned was very good.

if only i had the money to get a S&B PMII, sad fact is that the S&B Classic 4-16x50 is a load cheaper and you get just as much scope for a lot less money.

the Germans make superior optics its just what they do.

US Optics scopes use adjustable objectives far to much to be considered same league as S&B or Zeiss. this is something you would see on a Hawke scope at 99$ adjusting Px would be a pain in the ass for a $2500 scope! optical quality and light trasmission remain to be seen. depends who makes their glass

Swarovski, Zeiss and S&B - Scopes for life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would not put Nightforce in the same league as Zeiss and S&B sorry.

They came almost stone last in light transmission tests against some mediocre scopes from middle road brands

if only i had the money to get a S&B PMII, sad fact is that the S&B Classic 4-16x50 is a load cheaper and you get just as much scope for a lot less money.

US Optics scopes use adjustable objectives far to much to be considered same league as S&B or Zeiss. this is something you would see on a Hawke scope at 99$ adjusting Px would be a pain in the ass for a $2500 scope! optical quality and light trasmission remain to be seen. depends who makes their glass

Swarovski, Zeiss and S&B - Scopes for life. </div></div>

What makes an adjustable objective inferior to turret adjustments?

I've had both and prefer the AO.

Having owned the following FFP scopes, Leupold(2), Vortex Razor(1), NF(3), USO(5), Premier (2), S&B(5), I would list them as:

x- Vortex Razor
y- NF
z- S&B

Best overall and a scope I would recommend and use any day of the week would be the S&B PMII 5-25x56. Great overall package for glass, tracking, reticles, toughness and customer service which I doubt you will need.

My advice is to buy the best scope you can afford.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clown College must be on Spring Break </div></div>
laugh.gif
. Well stated!

For best bang for the buck I'm going with the Vortex Razor. I have one and it appears to be a great scope. Glass is good, comes with everything you need right out of the box including rings. It is mil/mil, ffp, and has a zero stop. I do believe the glass in my USO has a little more resolution, but it is also a little more expensive. I am positive that if it holds up well in the next few months that I will be getting another one, and then another one. It really looks like a lot of thought went into the scope. While the 35mm tube does somewhat limit your rings choice, mine came with good rings so what do I care.

BTW- I got my vortex Razor from Scott @ Liberty Optics. He is awesome to deal with; I would highly recommend you check with him for anyone shopping around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would not put Nightforce in the same league as Zeiss and S&B sorry.

Swarovski, Zeiss and S&B - Scopes for life. </div></div>

Do you have to F up every thread?

NF has at least one thing over S&B and Zeiss and that is reliability. You must not shoot because glass quality is nice but comes 2nd to reliability.

As for USO THEY MAKE BOTH AO AND SIDE ADJUSTING PARALLAX SCOPES so get off it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clown College must be on Spring Break </div></div>

Ha Ha Ha!!! How true...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Usdmgtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
NF has at least one thing over S&B and Zeiss and that is reliability. You must not shoot because glass quality is nice but comes 2nd to reliability.

</div></div>

I wouldn't go that far. Plenty of militaries, including ours, using S&B scopes as well. They are rugged and reliable as well.