• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP vs SFP for Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50

mtmander

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2013
North Carolina and Montana
I have to decide on the FFP vs SFP and MOA or MRAD reticle. This scope is for target shooting (500 yds but may try 1000 yds this summer) 90% of the time. I have always adjusted the turret for distance rather than use the reticle in the scope. So I need help in determining how valuable FFP is vs SFP (the SFP at 14x is the power the reticle markings are accurate). Then I need to decide on the MOA vs MRAD reticle.

thanks for any input on this

I prefer the MOA since that is what most people use where I go and what my shooting partners use. I personally use second focal plane because I didn't want to spend the extra cash on FFP at the time. Since then, I've used other people FFP scopes and while it is nice for ranging at any magnification(good for comps that require it), the crosshairs can sometimes be a little too thin or a little too thick. Since you just said target shooting I'd say go for the SFP so you can see smaller targets easier at higher powers.

Also, for the 24x model the reticle is accurate at 24x.

Do you need to range with the reticle for unknown distance targets? If so go with the FFP. If you shoot at known distance targets, or use a laser rangefinder then the SFP is fine. As far as MOA or MIL it's really up to you, they both work in basically the same way. I have both, and have no trouble using either.

Benefits of SFP
Cheaper
Greater availability (many scopes not made in FFP)
Finer stadia lines at max magnification cover less of the target for greater precision in aiming (with some reticles) in some situations
Less complexity, less to go wrong, and greater light transmission since SFP requires 2 fewer lenses than FFP; all of these are theoretical benefits as I am not aware of any statistic proving any of these ever manifest in the real world

Benefits of FFP
Reticle subtensions accurate regardless of magnification; the shooter sets the magnification to whatever is best for a given situation and can always access the features the reticle offers, like ranging, holdovers, gauging amount required for second shot corrections that will be dialed in (assuming matching turrets, another must have feature IMHO), etc. without requiring any additional math to correct for the magnification not being set to the "reference" magnification like an SFP scope necessitates

Some reticles have designs (floating dot, thin stadia at the crosshair) that decrease the FFP issue of the reticle covering too much of the target at max magnification.

I always opt for FFP for any scope over 8x; to me its practical benefits outweigh the potential downsides.

Joe

You almost answered your own question. If you plan on putting allot of time into it. Is that 10% worth the extra couple hundred? I think so.