• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes FFP vs SFP ?

If I'm gonna toss sum boolitz way way out there, you know, like five or six hundred yards, I prefer the Simmons Whitetail Classic in the Second Focal Plane variety. Doubt I'd ever give this Scope up. But if I did, nope, the Scope Caps wouldn't be included...........

edit: Yep, that's a AO on the bizzness end. Sweet !

Third focal plane

And the fact that the guy who made this thread has an avatar of the device I actually used to wear on the left side of my mountain cap makes me a bit unhappy.

Reactions: 1J04
You don't have to ask the hard questions Brother. I dunno. I just dunno.
I’ve been out sick for a couple of weeks it is been great ever sence Franks don’t do it in the bear pit thread.. the pit has spilled over into everything.. :()

If I'm gonna toss sum boolitz way way out there, you know, like five or six hundred yards, I prefer the Simmons Whitetail Classic in the Second Focal Plane variety. Doubt I'd ever give this Scope up. But if I did, nope, the Scope Caps wouldn't be included...........View attachment 7042853

edit: Yep, that's a AO on the bizzness end. Sweet !
With genuine Butler Creek furniture. That’s heirloom quality.
Bet you can see the space station with that.

The flower?

I'm totally going to stab you.

The edelweiss cap badge has a few different versions and was changed a bit after WW2 for what I'm guessing was 'feels'. The one that resembles the one that is current is the one to the furthest right in the picture that has like a pewter tone to it. It's still worn on the left side of the mountain cap, which is different from everyone elses' cap in the Heer/Bundeswehr. It is common for a mountain cap to be tilted so that its worn a bit to the left so that people behind you could see it; if you ever see me wearing a regular baseball hat to this day, its tilted slightly left out of sheer habit.

There's at least 1 other cap badge still used that I know of (or at least pre-2003ish bundeseswehr reorganization) because I got it when I completed MWCS and an advanced mountain MOS type school in Mittenwald. It has 3 oak leaves and is roughly the same size as the edelweiss.

The only time I've seen the flower without the stem used is at the actual Gebirgsjager kaserne (barracks).

Also if I remember right, I think the Austrians originally used the edelweiss insignia and then the Germans were like fuck you, we're using it and shamelessly took it over. But its been a past time to fuck with Austrians for as long as I can remember. Hell, in my office I have a framed newspaper from March 13, 1938 with the headline of Austria Joined To Germany, for this exact reason.

Last edited:

The edelweiss cap badge has a few different versions and was changed a bit after WW2 for what I'm guessing was 'feels'. The one that resembles the one that is current is the one to the furthest right in the picture that has like a pewter tone to it. It's still worn on the left side of the mountain cap, which is different from everyone elses' cap in the Heer/Bundeswehr. It is common for a mountain cap to be tilted so that its worn a bit to the left so that people behind you could see it; if you ever see me wearing a regular baseball hat to this day, its tilted slightly left out of sheer habit.

There's at least 1 other cap badge still used that I know of (or at least pre-2003ish bundeseswehr reorganization) because I got it when I completed MWCS and an advanced mountain MOS type school in Mittenwald. It has 3 oak leaves and is roughly the same size as the edelweiss.

The only time I've seen the flower without the stem used is at the actual Gebirgsjager kaserne (barracks).

Also if I remember right, I think the Austrians originally used the edelweiss insignia and then the Germans were like fuck you, we're using it and shamelessly took it over. But its been a past time to fuck with Austrians for as long as I can remember. Hell, in my office I have a framed newspaper from March 13, 1938 with the headline of Austria Joined To Germany, for this exact reason.View attachment 7042891

You sed Pewter.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
for hunting I want SFP. I love the NF NXS and at long range I will always be at the higher range. I have both and will stick with SFP, it is just cleaner to me. I have the 2-10 on a 300WM and a MKIV SFP on my 300WSM. The FFP is on my Kimber Advanced Tactical which even there I am usually on higher power.

Reactions: Daniel.civi.308
You know, come think about it, I think Simmons made the glass for the Hubble...
Thank God NASA got a great contact lens maker and repair team! I know someone who was involved in the lens making, said it was a goat rope. That's why my Dad always called the FAA the fugitives, aliens and asses, after 45 years in Commercial Aviation, the Gov't in action!

Wait a minute, we forgot the awesome QuigelyFord!

Also if I remember right, I think the Austrians originally used the edelweiss insignia and then the Germans were like fuck you, we're using it and shamelessly took it over. But its been a past time to fuck with Austrians for as long as I can remember. Hell, in my office I have a framed newspaper from March 13, 1938 with the headline of Austria Joined To Germany, for this exact reason.View attachment 7042891
Well at least I didn’t make a sound of music reference ;) or call it a daisy —

I guess I think I am funnier than others do :)

Last edited:
Yes we love our FFP reticles, but if you're shooting at known distance targets and your only objective is to shoot the tiniest groups possible, there is something to be said for SFP reticles.

What this guy said, this site is 99% focused on "tactical" style shooting. Anyone in the f class world/bench rest world or looking to shoot small groups/targets at known distance is probably better off with sfp. I tend to shoot targets such as 2 litre milk bottles that represent a 0.5-0.7 moa target depending on distance and just bought a SFP 8-32 power with thin reticle for this purpose.

Third focal plane

And the fact that the guy who made this thread has an avatar of the device I actually used to wear on the left side of my mountain cap makes me a bit unhappy.

Sorry to hear that, I meant no disrespect. I enlisted when there was a WEST Germany and US Nuke Bases guarding against the Soviets

Last edited:
Yes but within Germany Baden-Württemberg is the best. All the smart people that make guns and scopes are there.

I was born/raised right on the Danube in a city where one 'side' of it is in BW and the other Bavaria. Sometime around 1800, some of the inhabitants were like, 'fuck you guys' and crossed the river and make their own city on the Bavaria side.

I think Walther is made on the BW side.

I was born/raised right on the Danube in a city where one 'side' of it is in BW and the other Bavaria. Sometime around 1800, some of the inhabitants were like, 'fuck you guys' and crossed the river and make their own city on the Bavaria side.

I think Walther is made on the BW side.

Ulm? My family is from Freiburg / Schwarzwald, Southern Germany is the best! Mauser, Walther, HK, Blaser, Sauer, Schmidt, Hensoldt, Zeiss.......

Pretty sure SFP and FFP were invented there, lol.

Ok and you still need code for advanced ham license— but hell, that might be more relevant than saying you need to range at every “power” or that mil ranging is why we choose FFP scopes. Only people who don’t really use their FFPs think ranging is the driving factor.

In general other than what's today relatively short range, mil ranging doesn’t work very well at all when:
  • The range is Long range or ELR on normal targets.
  • Mirage or other optical disturbances
  • On small objects
  • Low power
  • When precision is needed.
  • When you do not know the size of the target
Years ago when you needed to spend 6-30K for mil grade finders, I understand someone not having a PLRF. Today you can get a PLRF like the Leica with .05 Mil beam that will take you out further than your short action will shoot a normal target, with any reasonable CEP.

Actually, the morse code requirement went the way of the dragon all together back in February of 2007. In addition, there are only 3 license class tickets available: The Technician Class, The General Class & the Amateur Extra Class.

That’s a pretty sweet daisy. WTT a airborne 82nd patch and a CIB badge? 1st place dick swinging contest babay

Yea anyways TFP rules

Reactions: Bender
I'm guessing the people knoc
TFP bro... (third focal plane)

Because...

View attachment 7042857

That's exactly what my cat looked like when she was rescued and I washed the fleas off her! Same color, only she has blue eyes. All I could think was "what a wretched thing". I think she can see sounds sometimes!

Battery operated soldiers... Indeed.

Sorry to hear that, I meant no disrespect. I enlisted when there was a WEST Germany and US Nuke Bases guarding against the Soviets

I know a guy that enlisted then, again during desert storm, and a THIRD FUCKING TIME after 9/11. You may know him, he was a very good boxer. And also the oldest private I ever met. Really good guy and he knew his shit, he'd probably have been CSM somewhere if he'd just stayed in the first or second time!

Reactions: EDELWEISS
…...I know a guy that enlisted then, again during desert storm, and a THIRD FUCKING TIME after 9/11. You may know him, he was a very good boxer. And also the oldest private I ever met. Really good guy and he knew his shit, he'd probably have been CSM somewhere if he'd just stayed in the first or second time!

That's pretty dedicated. I stayed in my whole time. I ran into a few too many bad bosses in a row, then said F-it to the Army. I miss some of it but not the BS. Im still in touch with a few buddies and its like the old days when we hang out (except the stories are better after a few beers). Police work was the same. I miss the good parts of the job and shake my head as idiots get promoted. Theres a special bond between guys who fight side by side.

Reactions: Daniel.civi.308
Im a second focal plane fan because of the size of the reticle, im one of those people shooting really small targets and to be honest i only use three magnification settings 5.5x/11x/22x so ranging is pretty easy for me