• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ffp worth the $

eastridge1213

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2011
Ive been looking at getting a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 or 6-24x50 as an upgrade from my Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40. Is the FFP worth the $150 difference?

Most shooting will be tactical style shooting 100-500yds(possible farther if I can find a better range).

Re: ffp worth the $

If your honestly doing tactical shooting FFP comes in very handy.

If you aren't going to be shooting in a "quick" situation, I would say no. I in fact liked a SFP scope because your mils could be half mils, two mils, or one mil, depending on the power. Better precision, just a tiny bit of math involved.

here's where ffp scopes come in handy IMHO.if your doing quick field shots using your recticle insted of dialing and you need alittle more field of view than your max power allows.it allows you to dial down magnafaction and still use your recticle for hold over.if you was using your recticle for ranging i would say sfp would be fine.

I disagree, I think its much more useful when a mil is always a mil. No f'kin around when under stress, and if you aren't ever stressed shooting you aren't shooting.

FFP or Fixed are the only ways I'll go. Miss one shot because you dicked the power up and blew a wind hold/lead/hold over can cost a lot of money (trophy hunt, out of state match, etc). Not a mistake I plan on repeating.

Even if you aren't ranging with your reticle, I have found it most useful for getting on target. The best thing about the FFP is that no matter what power I'm on, what it is in the reticle, is what it is on the knobs. I find the benefits out weight cost. The only downside I can see if if the reticle is too thick (depending on make/models) at max magnification for precision shooting. That being said, I've not had this issue with my experiences and shooting. For me, I'd pay the extra in the PST b/c the price difference is not that much. The $600 difference between say a Nightforce 15x SFP and 15x FFP would be harder to swallow. If you haven't tried a FFP scope I say go for it. Order one and take it outside before mounting and see if you like it. If not, send it back and get the SFP. Or order both and send back the one you like less.

I strongly prefer FFP because of ranging in whatever magnification I'm in. No math = good math.

Yes, I can multiply by 2/3s when I'm at 15x instead of 10x, but isn't it just easier to stick with ranging than ranging + math?

Check it out.

for all uses, its works better thne a SFP except in some limited situations.

Like hunting in less then 300yds of engagement areas. these areas are better for a duplex on SFP. Or a scope under 10x. I have used 1-4x, 1.8-10x and 3.5-10x and to be honest, a SFP I think is just fine for them. The mag range is so low, that when you need to take a longer shot, you will be up in the higher mag ranges anyhow. On the lower side, its easy to see the reticle in s SFP on the low end optics.

Other then that I see no loss to a FFP.

Now, with that typed, I would buy a 3-9 in FFP if the same cost of a SFP and so on.

Give it a try, you will like it.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eastridge1213</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is the FFP worth the $150 difference?</div></div>

Yes.

if you are not concerned with shooting tiny groups and just want to hit steel, then FFP is the way to go. Not saying u can't shoot small groups on paper, but its harder when the reticle is thicker for sure. Definetly a good suggestion to buy both and return the one youlike the least, don't mount em!

thanks for all the quick replies. im on kinda a tight budget all the time. getting a remington 700 sps tactical aac-sd this week, i traded even for the bushnell 10x40(no new money involed), putting it on a 20 moa base. i would like to put the rifle in a better stock first, been looking at the B&C tactical medalist for $200.

Im trying to get by with the Bushnell for now and save up for a Vortex later. thing is, I will probly never spend any more money than $700-900 on a scope and I'll probly never buy another one in that price range again. jus trying to spend wisely for my purposes

I love the "big reticle" myth-a FFP reticle that has stadia lines .07 mil has them that size no matter what the power is at.

SFP at lower than max actually has a the reticle grow in relation to actual size of objects in the sight picture.

Yes FFP is worth the money. The only time I would us SFP is shooting paper at known distance (e.g. F-Class).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eastridge1213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will probly never spend any more money than $700-900 on a scope and I'll probly never buy another one in that price range again. jus trying to spend wisely for my purposes</div></div>

Ahhhh.. I remember saying that in my early shooting days.. except back then I think I said "I'll never need a scope more than $300", which at the time was A LOT OF MONEY for me. Now that I shoot more (at least once a week) you find that equipment does make a difference and you'll look back on this thread and laugh while mounting your latest and greatest $2K optic on your custom built rig. If I can give any advice, spend the little extra now and don't regret it later. Doing things two and three times before getting it right costs lots more money. We've all been there and done it and now just trying to pass some live'n'learn knowledge on. I respect your budget constraints, but going just a bit over can save you a lot more on the back-end. Good luck brother.

About seven months ago I bought my first ffp scope a 6.5-20 mark 4 for my .338lm. I am now looking to purchase the ffp 4-16 pst to replace the scope on my .308. After only using the ffp for a few months I can say every scope I buy from now on for target shooting will be a ffp or fixed. Being able to range and read corrections on any magnification has made dialing in super easy. There is no thinking involved, just read and dial. Definitely worth $150 in my opinion.

For me it is. SFP scope are not always on the dot with (for example) magnification in 10x were the reticle can be used for drops. I went out and shoot at 550 yards and used the reticle at 10x like the maked stated it was way off. My new SS 5-20 is right on
smile.gif
So for me I would rather get FFP scopes.

Aron-

For how the PST SFP is setup, I actually prefer it. The reticle is very fine, where it becomes somewhat thick on the FFP version.

As long as you are good at quickly doing a little math you will be fine. @ 24x (or 16x) the increments are 1 moa, @ 12x (or 8x) the increments are 2x or 2 moa, @ 8x the increments are 3x or 3 moa, @ 6x (or 4x) the increments are 4x or 4 moa.

If there is the possibility that you will be shooting a competition than I would recommend the FFP scopes. It really comes in handy if you are shooting a stage with multiple targets at multiple ranges and you need change magnification settings between targets. You don't need to do any math with the FFP scopes. Just take the shot.

I also like FFP because I'm not forced to think about whether or not I'm using the correct power setting for milling targets, or what power I have the scope set on when I'm using only the reticule to dope my shots and holding over. These things all become a factor on the SFP scopes.

All that said, I do like a SFP scope for hunting, varminting, and on low power scopes like a 2.5-10. I find that FFP reticules are nearly useless below 6 power, unless you are taking a 100 to 200 yard shot, and are only using the reticle to make sure the rifle is pointed in the direction of the target. The mil-dots or stadia lines become to small and thin to use accurately at the low power settings on a FFP scope.

All said and done I prefer FFP to SFP. For what I do with my rifles FFP is a better system. In fact, most of my rifles now wear FFP scopes, including one of my hunting rigs.